2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

Not to be too far off topic, but I find it interesting when some straight people say that gays are recruiting... but I don't seem to remember GLAAD knocking on my door asking me to be a "child of Dorothy."

I did however, on a Saturday morning while relaxing to some jazz and a cup of coffee, get a knock on the door. I opened it and there were two church ladies wanting to come in and tell me about what God has planned for me.

Sounds kinda like recruiting huh?

Being the devious person I am, I called to the back of the house and said "Honey, we got company!!! I'm sure my boyfriend would want to hear this." Of course it was just my roommate, listening in. The look on those ladies were priceless. Now for the kill.

"Now put that thing away! We've got company!"

I never saw two women run away from my doorstep so fast. My roommate said they were going to go get reinforcements and some holy water to throw on the house.

They never came back. Imagine that. I could enjoy my Saturday mornings in peace.

Terrance

I'm as straight as a gay man can be and by that I mean you would never know I was gay until I told you. Just your average everyday football loving, beer drinking, factory working guy who prefers the company of other men. Makes for a lonely life but I am what I am.

Im exactly the opposite. I am known round my way for being super-camp. Think Graham Norton without the suits. So straight guys meeting me for the first time kinda assume Im gay, but I am 100% straight. Ive even had a fair number of guys making a move on me. Still, its flattering in a way, but just not the attention I want.

And many of the girls I liked wanted to confide in me rather than date me. oh well, c'est la vie.

The Pride thing is pride meaning "not ashamed" - in that matter, I am proud to be gay. I don't dance around wearing a rainbow cape, nor do I waltz through life like the Queen of Sheeba, but I am proud to be who I am and I don't hide it.

Pride doesn't mean flaunting anything, but it does mean not being ashamed of being the person that I was born to be.

David

It may just be me, but I see a big difference between "not being ashamed" and being "proud." It's one thing to not be ashamed, to accept yourself, to like yourself.

It's a completely different thing to be proud. Pride implies that you think it warrants you some form of merit or accolade.

It may just be me, but I see a big difference between "not being ashamed" and being "proud." It's one thing to not be ashamed, to accept yourself, to like yourself. It's a completely different thing to be proud. Pride implies that you think it warrants you some form of merit or accolade.

It is just you. Here's the definition of word "pride", and it has nothing to do with warranting merit or accolade, but more of expression of self-esteem. All kidding aside, no biggie, many think of the word "pride" just as you described, it runs along the lines of people mis-using other words, such as the word "hero". (Don't get me started on that one.)

• 2 weeks later...

catching up here . . .

I'm as straight as a gay man can be and by that I mean you would never know I was gay until I told you. Just your average everyday football loving, beer drinking, factory working guy who prefers the company of other men.
hawt!

I think the secret to anything is living your life FOR YOU. At 16-18, you're at home and you're living you life for your parents and peers, so of course you may be not be happy with your life, whether you are straight or gay. Of course when you get out on your own, pay your own bills, etc. That is your time to find out what you like and don't like and what you want to do with your life. It's also time to figure out who your friends really are; I see so many people that hang out with people that simply bring them down.

Now once you believe in yourself (that's the FIRST THING you gotta do), find that small group of true friends that will stay by you through thick and thin. And don't pick the ones that you just see when you're out drinking. Pick the ones that will help you pick out food at the grocery store, watch TV at your house on the weekend, or the ones that will go with you to a movie, or an amusement park in another city. Not the ones that will disappear on you when they find someone. And those friends have to be people that allow you to comfortable with who you are and you don't have to lie to. Now you've got an emotional base.

That will allow you to then bring in someone special. Or least weed out the ones that only waste your time. So many people, no matter the orientation, try to get that "someone special" first without having the emotional base or believe in themselves, and then they wonder why they are so depressed and hate their lives.

For the "under 18" set on this site, I would try to work on believing and loving yourself first; these are the years to do it. I mean how do you expect to have others love you if you don't love yourself? If you do that now, you won't be hating yourself later.

Terrance

Quoted the above because there's some really great perspectives here, as well as what DenDen linked above. In this country gays are taught and told since birth that we should hate and be disgusted with who we are, that being gay is SO wrong and the ultimate abomination (alot of times even from our own parents). So it's really big no surprise that many feel a sort of self hatred of being gay. Just like a rotten negligent parent who constantly tells their kid he's nothing but a worthless POS, he'll grow up believing he's nothing but a worthless POS because that's the only message he's ever received.

The key is to reprogram your thoughts to eliminate all that negative conditioning you've been force fed all your life, to realize you are indeed an amazing beautiful person who is capable of loving and being loved. It takes alot of time, energy and hard work to learn to love yourself, but without it, you'll never have the tools necessary to lead a happy healthy normal functional life.

And that's where the whole pride issue comes in. The religious right has made gay pride something negative and to be ashamed of, as they always have regarding anything gay (even the media never focuses on the majority of regular Joes like me who go to pride events, only the jock-strap clad drag queens make the news). Whereas DenDen pointed out, it's actually all about accepting and being proud of yourself for who and what you are. It's all about reversing all the years of hateful negative conditioning all of us have experienced and replacing all those unhealthy thought processes with a positive self perspective. When I was younger I also wished I wasn't gay, but after years of growing as a person, realize there's nothing wrong with me and I'm an amazing guy just the way I am. And it's actuallly all the hate-filled ignorant homophobes that are the real problem, not me.

• 4 weeks later...
It may just be me, but I see a big difference between "not being ashamed" and being "proud." It's one thing to not be ashamed, to accept yourself, to like yourself. It's a completely different thing to be proud. Pride implies that you think it warrants you some form of merit or accolade.

It is just you. Here's the definition of word "pride", and it has nothing to do with warranting merit or accolade, but more of expression of self-esteem. All kidding aside, no biggie, many think of the word "pride" just as you described, it runs along the lines of people mis-using other words, such as the word "hero". (Don't get me started on that one.)

Okay.

1. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.

Merit, as defined by dictionary.com : http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/merit

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm sure that at least a FEW people that read this post know who the Westboro Baptist Group is. If not, check out their website: www.godhatesfags.com

Anyhow, well my neighboring high schoo, York Suburban Area High School, put on the play "The Laramie Project" which, for those of you who don't know, is about the 1998 murder of an openly gay, University of Wyoming student named Matthew Shepherd. Anywho, Westboro decided that they wanted to picket the play, LET ME TEL YOU SOMETHING!!! They generated SO much publicity that the school sold more tickets than seats, they never had such a large attendance for a play, by the way, I went and it was AMAZING! But I have to laugh at this groups view on homosexuality. The next day, Sunday, the picketed 6 of the "largest" churchs in the area, because these church's were not "doing their part" in preventing this "sinful lifestlye" (homosexuality) from spreading. Well I attend the one church occasionally and whe we went they had a sign that read, "You willeat your children!" I was very confused my this sign. They informed me that after being gay, the next phase, in your "sinful lifestyle" is to eat your own offsrping. Well I asked them, "How am I to fit them in my mouth?"

They informed me that after being gay, the next phase, in your "sinful lifestyle" is to eat your own offsrping. Well I asked them, "How am I to fit them in my mouth?"

Well then, it's a good thing gay men don't generally get pregnant!

*realizes that a certain TPR member's screen name is rather irnoic*

They informed me that after being gay, the next phase, in your "sinful lifestyle" is to eat your own offsrping. Well I asked them, "How am I to fit them in my mouth?"

Well then, it's a good thing gay men don't generally get pregnant!

*realizes that a certain TPR member's screen name is rather irnoic*

My AIM?

That sounded pretty funny, the whole "next phase in your 'sinful act' is to eat your own offspring."

Well....I'm gay but i aint out yet. Most of my family are homophobic including my dad which sucks But i'm sure some of my friends have guessed but i'm just to scared to tell them incase some how my dad finds out. I know my friends would be find with it as one of my other friends came out ages ago. But it the family finding out the scares me.

^ I never undderstood what a homophobe is s afraid of. I mean, sure, it can be a little weird, but it doesn't mean all gays are bad people who stare at groins all day and have lisps and go shopping at Hollister.

But I am straight, I have a girlfriend, and she likes both so it's really 'cool'

It really ticks me off when people who say or just have the attitude that "If you don't agree or like the homosexual lifestyle then you are a homophobe." I for one don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle but I am not a homophobe I have friends who are gay and I have never looked down upon them or any other gay person.