2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

Some of my friends here in San Diego were from the Orlando area and they knew some of the victims. My heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy. I went to a rally for the Victims in Orlando held by the San Diego LGBT Center yesterday and thousands showed up. I'm posting the photos I took of the event to show how many people showed up here in San Diego to support the community in Orlando. Stay strong and as hard as these next few weeks will be for Orlando community, remember that June is Gay Pride month because it is in part commemorating the attack on a Gay Bar, the Stonewall Inn in New York.

image.thumb.jpeg.3437c549a8b1381df2b1e71ecfb6e34d.jpeg

Outside the LGBT center before the Rally

image.thumb.jpeg.4f1f78e1abe189011acf02a94f84fcd8.jpeg

The crowd then marched from the LGBT Center to the Rainbow Flag on Normal Street in Hillcrest

image.thumb.jpeg.37c1330fc99346f42810e8c2a788b45a.jpeg

The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus sang some songs under the flag with the Woman's Chorus.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1541f7e5210d4f44693bd2e75ee574a.jpeg

The march then continued down University Ave several blocks.

image.thumb.jpeg.94acc7c0451362a2cb9c4e967eaf3689.jpeg

And ended outside of Rich's, the most popular LGBT night club in San Diego, and a place I've been to many times. There the names of the victims were read aloud.

^ Thanks for sharing the photos. I feel like most everyone else on here...angry, sad, scared, fearful of what's becoming of this crazy old world and what we can all do to stand up to these senseless acts of violence.

It is just so sad to think of the young children at Sandy Hook, the innocent folks at the movie theater in Colorado, the young men and women at this gay club, the horrified co-workers in San Bernadino, all of the innocent victims in Paris...it goes on and on. And to think of all of the family and friends of the victims that have to live with that loss and horror for the rest of their lives.

Even the company that I work for had a fatal shooting at one of their corporate offices a few months back...although not highly publicized in national media because it was one guy killing his supervisor over a bad performance review (and then he took his own life in a meeting room). Apparently with big media these days, it has to be at least four or more to garner national attention....and if an animal dies at Sea World, that knocks the senseless murder/suicides down a few notches apparently.

We all had to take mandatory armed intruder training at work last week and I thought to myself how easy it would be for someone to come into my place of employment and do the same thing, or worse. It is quite disturbing to know that every day that you walk out of your house doing something as simple as going to work or to the supermarket, you could easily end up a victim of a mentally ill person or devotee to a worldwide terror network - no matter where you live.

And while I know that we aren't supposed to bring politics into discussions, you know that these instances are only going to draw further support to Trump and some of his radical ideas. I think that the entire world realizes that we all have to do something to combat ISIS and these lone wolf killers, but putting up walls, blaming others and banning people from other countries from coming into the US is simply not the right approach. I am actually quite afraid of what will happen to this country if he becomes our next president - I just don't see him as the answer to be able to quell everyone's questions, fears and concerns of uncertainty.

This is not a USA issue, it's a global issue.

Fact: The guy went to a gay bar. Not a straight one.

Had to say that. Still angry at some people, trying to lump it all in with

the "rest of us here in the world," etc.

No. It was us. Not you. If it was an event where it was all-inclusive, sure.

Then, it would be called a horrific crime, that would affect us all.

But it was a gay - lesbian - bar. Period.

Hate crime. That's what it really was. And planned, too.

And pointless.

^^ Its hard not to make it political, especially here in the US where they have done absolutely nothing to try and curb these shootings.

^Its been really frustrating to hear it. Its also infuriating to hear some of the right wing folks try and align themselves with the community they've spent so long ostracizing. Anderson Cooper had a great interview with the Florida Attorney General. If you haven't seen it here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/politics/pam-bondi-anderson-cooper-gay-rights-orlando/index.html

The whole situation is just frustrating.

Fact: The guy went to a gay bar. Not a straight one.

Had to say that. Still angry at some people, trying to lump it all in with

the "rest of us here in the world," etc.

No. It was us. Not you. If it was an event where it was all-inclusive, sure.

Then, it would be called a horrific crime, that would affect us all.

But it was a gay - lesbian - bar. Period.

Hate crime. That's what it really was. And planned, too.

And pointless.

your point is well taken, and I absolutely agree.

but please do recall that not all victims were LGBT.. several of them (including a straight girl there with her cousin, a straight man who was dancing to the latin night music with his girlfriend, and the Mother of a gay man out with her son) were if not outright allies, but at the very least, comfortable enough with themselves to go to a gay bar to dance.

I keep telling myself this as I'm seeing several news outlets focusing on straight victims (not their fault, they are talking to the families that will give them access).

it was ABSOLUTELY a hate crime.

but the pain is being felt by all, and I'm more than willing to share some of this pain inside me if others wish to help us shoulder it.

(hugs)

^ I know, I remember there were non-gays killed as well.

Anger clouds the reasonable mind, sometimes.

Thanks for reminding me.

but THIS sums it up beautifully, and I've shared it on my FB. Take a read, I think you'll agree with all of it:

http://johnpeart.org/2016/06/14/to-my-heterosexual-friends-orlando-shootings

^ I agree with it totally.

And then, go find the beautiful sonnet Lin-Manuel Miranda read at the TONYs last Sunday evening.

This happened when "Hamilton" won the TONY for Best Book of a Musical, which Miranda wrote.

When the 'Loves' starting coming and coming and coming, I was in tears by the end of it.

^ I agree with it totally.

And then, go find the beautiful sonnet Lin-Manuel Miranda read at the TONYs last Sunday evening.

This happened when "Hamilton" won the TONY for Best Book of a Musical, which Miranda wrote.

When the 'Loves' starting coming and coming and coming, I was in tears by the end of it.

yeah..I caught that live in my Hotel Room on Sunday night.

it was beautiful, and kind of stunning that some media didn't "get" what he was saying there, and instead reported he was saying it to his wife. . .

^ Actually, in the news reporting up here after the awards, all the press "got it", and used his

starting the sonnet to his wife, just as a reference to point out the Real Message of it.

^ Actually, in the news reporting up here after the awards, all the press "got it", and used his

starting the sonnet to his wife, just as a reference to point out the Real Message of it.

heh.. guess it's just American Media that are thick then

And while I know that we aren't supposed to bring politics into discussions, you know that these instances are only going to draw further support to Trump and some of his radical ideas.

You acknowledged we shouldn't mentioned politics... but then you did it anyway. Political comments divide us, they don't unite.

fyi: there are gay republicans on this board. (I'm one.) Basically I'm the only one in Chicago. At our monthly meetings, I'm the only one who shows up.

^ I would vote for whomever I think is the most qualified to lead my county, the state or the country and will easily jump party lines as I see fit. Please know that my post wasn't a slam on Republicans in any way. And yes, I would imagine that those meetings must be pretty lonely for you!

Going to march with the Orlando Strong folks in the St. Pete's Pride parade this weekend. Looking forward to it. They have buses going from Orlando to St. Petersburg and back so it will hopefully be an opportunity to meet some new people. It feels good to get involved Although I've been part of many Pride parades, my partner hasn't so this will be his first one.

Until the Pulse shootings he has never felt inclined to be "involved" with the LGBT community, but that has now changed.

Going to march with the Orlando Strong folks in the St. Pete's Pride parade this weekend. Looking forward to it. They have buses going from Orlando to St. Petersburg and back so it will hopefully be an opportunity to meet some new people. It feels good to get involved Although I've been part of many Pride parades, my partner hasn't so this will be his first one.

Until the Pulse shootings he has never felt inclined to be "involved" with the LGBT community, but that has now changed.

^^ Cool...have a great time, David!

Sure wish that I was in Tampa like I was supposed to be...we would have loved to join you guys!

we're in Tampa in 2 weeks (for a couple of days at BGT, and then a day trip to SeaWorld).

anyone gonna be in either place that wants to meet up?

Our Pride Parade won't happen until Sunday, July 31st, but based on past parades,

I know Vancouver's community will be showing their total support for Orlando.

No doubt about it.

Have a great time at the parade etc, David!

And by the way, for all.....

LegolandPrideFlags.jpg.611eb520dd70c378b76f002c0d6a9888.jpg

HAPPY PRIDE WEEKEND, everybody around the world who's celebrating, this weekend!

(This is in a Legoland, somewhere. And Thank You to Whoever found it, and took a photo of it!)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the park to watch fireworks with some friends, since my Hubby refused to go.

(at least he ate Fried Chicken & Potato Salad with us before we walked over).

13439096_10210355063292137_7138125669638725847_n.jpg?oh=857c51108a18c5e848efb9d4fdf70fbd&oe=57FAD6B6

13625377_10210355026731223_7760862486408225454_n.jpg?oh=94374340ebb7ac3c47f982fa6dbe137a&oe=57ECF3EB