2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

Literally the only word I don't like in the English language, and will get me riled up, is the "f" word. I don't like hearing it in most contexts, I understand the cultural difference of a British person saying it in reference to a cigarette (also the accent ) but rarely outside of that does that word not cause me to wince.

I don't like it when people say something is gay or someone is a faggot. What's worse for me is when people say to someone "Are you calling me gay?" Oh my godddddd it's like they're saying it's a bad thing to be gay

I don't like it when people say something is gay or someone is a faggot. What's worse for me is when people say to someone "Are you calling me gay?" Oh my godddddd it's like they're saying it's a bad thing to be gay

They are, a bunch of stupid people think it's a horrible thing, that is our choice. We'll just have to ignore them.

Its just when these words are used in a derogatory way is when they are offensive. I mean there are words that are out there that have really nasty meanings, and would be really hard to put in non-offensive context, but it is possible. There are the sexual orientation slurs, like dyke, faggot, queer, etc, but some of these words are used in a "we are taking this word back" kind of way, so again it all goes to context. Even some of the trans* slurs out have been used in "we are taking this word back" context, as I've seen at drag shows and at lgbt parades.

Every word has the potential to be offensive, as it is to be non-offensive

For me, it's ok to use ANY word in the privacy of a converstion - where you know the other person knows what you are trying to communicate and are cool with whatever "bad word" we might be using. But I always make sure no one else can hear me.

I've gotten on people with the whole "thats gay" thing... I usually just turn to them and smile and say "I'm gay." They usually turn white and say "well, I didn't mean it like that" or some awkwardness to get themselves out of the situation. Then I remind them that they never know who could be listening.

I know some people like the idea that if it's not your word, don't use it.

When our annual queer (see? I used it!) film festival (Out On Screen) comes around every August,

the names and labels and identifications are all mixed up into a really interesting diverse mix

of film makers and viewers. The words are thrown around, all through the festival, and it's mainly

through non-straight peeps, this happens.

It's still negative, no matter what "the word" is said (or usually yelled), when hatred (or distain) is behind it.

I've gotten on people with the whole "thats gay" thing... I usually just turn to them and smile and say "I'm gay."

Wow I gotta try that some time! I hope you're right!

For me, it's ok to use ANY word in the privacy of a converstion - where you know the other person knows what you are trying to communicate and are cool with whatever "bad word" we might be using. But I always make sure no one else can hear me.

I've gotten on people with the whole "thats gay" thing... I usually just turn to them and smile and say "I'm gay." They usually turn white and say "well, I didn't mean it like that" or some awkwardness to get themselves out of the situation. Then I remind them that they never know who could be listening.

I know some people like the idea that if it's not your word, don't use it.

I've did that. Its funny how people react. Sometimes I will also back it up with "can you please tell me how this (whatever they called gay) has a sexual identity?

^Hahaha I must do that, eell except to some people I know who are antigay.

I heard someone today telling someone that gays are all rapists. Honestly, some people...

Question- Are there certain gay people that you can't tell? At all? I know there are certain people who try and hide the fact by dating girls and such. There is a guy at my school, he is very feminine, cheerleader, LOVES Starbucks, doesn't have a single guy friend, has a girly voice, is all about vans and pink shirts, styles his hair everyday. I'm not trying to sound Stero-typical I was just wondering are there people like that? Thanks!

'

tho likely already answered for you, two things to point out:

1) Gender Identity is not the same thing as Sexual Orientation.

2) Sexual orientation has nothing to do with certian traits. (think Metrosexual. . . a guy who likes to get manicures, and dress very well, and may wear makeup, but identifes as a completely straight male).

so two similar things, but neither of which means that you can "tell" by looking.

the short answer? No, you CAN'T tell. Not always.

but sometimes you can.

The characteristics that tend to go with what some have noticed as "gay traits" (the siballant "S" (ie: the lisp), the love of Show Tunes, Barbara Streisand, Celine Dion, etc). . . well, they have become sterotypes for a reason: Stereotypes typically have SOME basis in reality.

which is why a Stereotype is used as a shorthand for a character/description.

but as noted, no, you CAN'T always tell.

I never knew loving Starbucks was an indicator of gayness. I guess that makes me straight, good to know.

Some of my friends that I was convinced were gay are straight and vice versa. Unless you are looking to date them then it really shouldn't matter either way.

I never knew loving Starbucks was an indicator of gayness. I guess that makes me straight, good to know.

Some of my friends that I was convinced were gay are straight and vice versa. Unless you are looking to date them then it really shouldn't matter either way.

Yep

(and in addition to the Starbucks thing. . ech. . coffee! I can not STAND Celine Dion, and can take or leave Cher. . . so I guess I should have a few dozen kids by multiple women by now!

tho I love me some Bette Midler.. . .m'kay?)

^ Am I allowed to say the man above me is adorable!?

I think the same about him

Yep

(and in addition to the Starbucks thing. . ech. . coffee! I can not STAND Celine Dion, and can take or leave Cher. . . so I guess I should have a few dozen kids by multiple women by now!

tho I love me some Bette Midler.. . .m'kay?)

I am not obsessed with Starbucks either but I do love Celine Dion and do not like Madonna, Bette Midler, Liza, or Cher. I guess that makes me only part gay.

Just hearing this on our national radio, CBC Radio 2....

"We Exist" - Arcade Fire

And this song is about a gay kid, telling his dad he wants to be treated equal.

I did not know this. Good for the band!