2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

^ The world around us is changing so much towards gays and I love it. I think its incredible to be alive now and be at a age where I fully understand what is going on. Also at the same time at a age where I will be able to see the benefits of all the hard work.

^^^^^^^(This post--I'm slow!)

Very well said, Bobby. These are pretty universal feelings and experiences in friendships and romance. I know it probably doesn't make it any easier to know it's common, since you still have to go through it on your own, but maybe it could help to keep it in mind. Not trying to be all serious here--just wanted to comment on a good post.

I haven't been following the topic (busy!) but just scanning - it makes me happy people feel comfortable coming out as (whatever gender/orientation). Things really are getting better!

Except in Russia. Seems like a Stonewall-type era for them. And really, except in a LOT of places. Even the big cities. Makes it more important for me to be out

^ Speaking of which, I came out to two more of my friends yesterday, and it was a success! Im fact one of them wa someone I've heard make numerous gay jokes before, so I was really sketchy about telling him, but he does!

I'm also planning on telling two more people today or tomorrow, maybe more but I'm not sure. One of them is one of the few girls I know, and she has a huge crush on me, but she's a good friend and has told me numerous stuff she would never tell anyone else, so I'm wondering if I should tell her...

And - blessings to Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto on their Golden Globe Award WINS last night,

for their parts in "Dallas Buyers Club". And I am hoping when the Oscar noms come out this

Thursday, there will be some Academy Award Love for them and the movie, too.

JaredLeto2013.jpg.a052a69b54bb3bb79141a027995d3c48.jpg

Hard to believe this is what Jared normally looks like, after taking on Rayon in DBC.

^I do not believe in award shows. I do not believe some one can be named better then everyone else. Its all based on opinion in reality. There are too many award shows for them to really mean anything anymore. The arena is way too saturated. I do not watch movies or like actors simply because they won academy wards. Just like I do not listen to music just because it wins a Grammy. Just because the academy thinks a movie is the best of the year does not mean everyone thinks its the best movie of the year. Plus half of the movies that get nominated I have either never heard of or simply have no interest in. All that statue technically means is them actors can ask for a larger paycheck because they won an award - hence making the price movie tickets go up.

If I watch an awards show it would be the Peoples Choice Awards because the winners are based on votes the public makes - the people who are putting their money out to see/buy these movies, buy the music, see the concerts, etc. That is how all awards shows should be. We are the ones shelling out our money.

^I do not believe in award shows. I do not believe some one can be named better then everyone else. Its all based on opinion in reality. There are too many award shows for them to really mean anything anymore. The arena is way too saturated. I do not watch movies or like actors simply because they won academy wards. Just like I do not listen to music just because it wins a Grammy. Just because the academy thinks a movie is the best of the year does not mean everyone thinks its the best movie of the year. Plus half of the movies that get nominated I have either never heard of or simply have no interest in. All that statue technically means is them actors can ask for a larger paycheck because they won an award - hence making the price movie tickets go up.

If I watch an awards show it would be the Peoples Choice Awards because the winners are based on votes the public makes - the people who are putting their money out to see/buy these movies, buy the music, see the concerts, etc. That is how all awards shows should be. We are the ones shelling out our money.

BAD Homo!

BAD BAD BAD!

I sentence you to 3 listens of the "Wicked" Soundtrack, and Hulu Watching of last year's Tonys, and Oscars telecasts!

^ I am not into broadway soundtracks at all. I just do not see the point in award shows at all. Its just a bunch of celebrities getting together to have a reason to wear clothes that are not even theirs that they are renting from designers I have never heard of and could never afford.

Its the same with amusement park awards. I do not pay attention to them. An award is not going to get me to like a park anymore or any less.

BAD Homo!

BAD BAD BAD!

I sentence you to 3 listens of the "Wicked" Soundtrack, and Hulu Watching of last year's Tonys, and Oscars telecasts!

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it's all about who you are, in total - and not specific.

Being gay is specific. Loving nature is specific. Riding roller coasters

is specific. Specifics are nice, but overall I like the total package.

My schools GSA is selling "Equally Human" shirts and I bought one. I can't wait until the day of silence. I have colorful tape I'm going to put on my mouth :3. It's amazing to see how much the country has turned around on accepting gay people and rights. I'm so happy we're finally coming towards a country where gays can live in peace. My state passed gay marriage laws last year. *Good job Maryland *

And this is a response to the yay guy. Don't worry about that friend trouble. I think you should talk to him about how you feel. But not to worry, I doubt he doesn't want to talk to anymore because of that. He's your good friend Don't worry . I have had a few gay people tell me they like me before and it doesn't bother me one bit. I doubt he is bothered by it and still you have many people who support you and love you the way you are, like the people here in the coaster community .

Despite the fact that I belong to the LGBTQ community, I've never done Day of Silence or walked in a parade or done anything very prideful, really. Maybe it's just because I tend to keep my sexuality on the down-low unless someone asks me about it. Also, if any of my relatives (besides my sister) were ever to see me participating in stuff like that, they would most likely be furious. Such is life when you're born into an ultra-conservative family in the middle of the Bible Belt.

The sad thing is that it wouldn't even matter that I'm not gay; to them, I'm something other than straight (a.k.a. normal), so that would be a no-go on both sides of the family.

Despite the fact that I belong to the LGBTQ community, I've never done Day of Silence or walked in a parade or done anything very prideful, really. Maybe it's just because I tend to keep my sexuality on the down-low unless someone asks me about it. Also, if any of my relatives (besides my sister) were ever to see me participating in stuff like that, they would most likely be furious. Such is life when you're born into an ultra-conservative family in the middle of the Bible Belt.

The sad thing is that it wouldn't even matter that I'm not gay; to them, I'm something other than straight (a.k.a. normal), so that would be a no-go on both sides of the family.

I have a cousin in my family who is bisexual, and his parents and siblings were homophobic. His father (my uncle) is a pastor and is very religious. According to my cousin, I was the only cousin in our family he had told because he knows I am not homophobic and he trusts me. He has a boyfriend, and this year, my other cousin started at his high school as a freshman and he found out about his boyfriend and told his parents. His parents were extremely mad at first and got all religious on him. And his siblings were really mean to him, so he stayed at my house until his parents were ready to take him back. After 4 days, his parents said they really missed him at home, and that they love him no matter what. And they changed their views.

So based on that, I think that even though your parents are homophobic, you shouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure your parents love will always love you no matter what, they're your parents. You're going to have to come out to them eventually, and when you do, it probably won't be pretty at first, but eventually they will realize they need to accept you and they will change. I promise it will be okay . And here at the coaster community, we're always here for you .

BAD Homo!

BAD BAD BAD!

^

Seriously though, I rarely watch awards shows, but caught both the Golden Globes and Grammys this year. I thought the Macklemore - Same Love song with all of those mixed couples (lesbian, straight, gay, interracial, etc) getting married in the audience was VERY moving and VERY cool!

Overall, I thought the Grammy's were very good even though I didn't know half of the songs that won awards. To compare the Grammy's to this year's Golden Globe awards is like shopping at Macy's (Grammy's) versus Wal-Mart (Golden Globe's). The acceptance speeches that most of the musicians made were concise and brief, while half of the actors/actresses on the Golden Globes were too tanked from the champagne during the show and would just get up on stage and babble for way too long and say really stupid things.

I have a cousin in my family who is bisexual, and his parents and siblings were homophobic. His father (my uncle) is a pastor and is very religious. According to my cousin, I was the only cousin in our family he had told because he knows I am not homophobic and he trusts me. He has a boyfriend, and this year, my other cousin started at his high school as a freshman and he found out about his boyfriend and told his parents. His parents were extremely mad at first and got all religious on him. And his siblings were really mean to him, so he stayed at my house until his parents were ready to take him back. After 4 days, his parents said they really missed him at home, and that they love him no matter what. And they changed their views.

So based on that, I think that even though your parents are homophobic, you shouldn't worry. I'm pretty sure your parents love will always love you no matter what, they're your parents. You're going to have to come out to them eventually, and when you do, it probably won't be pretty at first, but eventually they will realize they need to accept you and they will change. I promise it will be okay . And here at the coaster community, we're always here for you .

Ah, I suppose I could have worded that better. In all honesty, I feel like being openly asexual wouldn't really affect my relationships with my family for very long, if at all; they'd probably be disappointed that I'm not attracted to women, but I'm also not attracted to men, so they would more than likely not have a problem with that. (Sounds terrible, but it's completely true.)

To them, it'd be more about the fact that I would be openly identifying with and supporting the LGBTQ community, which is a major moral violation in the eyes of the typical Southern Baptist. Not to mention, it might make them the talk of their church, in the worst way possible, if one of the more judgmental church members saw me in a parade or doing Day of Silence or whatever. If there's anything I've taken away from going to church for 18 years, it's that Christians LOVE to gossip about the moral shortcomings of other Christians.

That's more or less why I've chosen to avoid doing these things and keep my non-heterosexuality to myself around my family and friends while I'm back in my hometown.

(It's nice to know that I do have constant support from several groups I've found myself in, though, so thanks for that!)

And this is a response to the yay guy. Don't worry about that friend trouble. I think you should talk to him about how you feel. But not to worry, I doubt he doesn't want to talk to anymore because of that. He's your good friend Don't worry . I have had a few gay people tell me they like me before and it doesn't bother me one bit. I doubt he is bothered by it and still you have many people who support you and love you the way you are, like the people here in the coaster community .

Sorry I'm late to checking this thread! I've been busy! I think I will should talk to him about it. I mean, now like at lunch we don't even talk anymore - we sit next to each other but don't say a word, which is awkward! It was getting better like twow eeks ago but now it got worse. I mean, when I walk into Media Crew in the mornings to help with my school's daily announcements, I'm the only person he doesn't say hi to and acts enthusiastic around, and honestly you have no idea how upset I feel! But a lot of it is my fault, if not all of it, and I just want to work things out. I think I will talk to him! I mean, when we were good friends he was one of the best people I have ever known, and I mean that in a nonsexual way.

Also I am really happy about what happened on the Grammys. I am proud of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis! However, I read a news article that showed some anti-gay people's reactions after the show, and honestly you can't believe how mad I am at them! I mean, what is the big deal about two people of the same sex loving each other? How would they (the anti-gay) feel if they fell in love and were told not to marry because it is wrong and perverted?

I am really glad that I do have friends who accept me for who I am! i've told some more people since! In fact, one of my friends, when I told her, actually came out to me as bisexual! I talked for like an hour, and she said she felt so great and revived that she ws going to come out some of her friends now! Honestly despite some of the bad stuff overall I feel much better than before I came out!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to checking this thread! I've been busy! I think I will should talk to him about it. I mean, now like at lunch we don't even talk anymore - we sit next to each other but don't say a word, which is awkward! It was getting better like twow eeks ago but now it got worse. I mean, when I walk into Media Crew in the mornings to help with my school's daily announcements, I'm the only person he doesn't say hi to and acts enthusiastic around, and honestly you have no idea how upset I feel! But a lot of it is my fault, if not all of it, and I just want to work things out. I think I will talk to him! I mean, when we were good friends he was one of the best people I have ever known, and I mean that in a nonsexual way.

Also I am really happy about what happened on the Grammys. I am proud of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis! However, I read a news article that showed some anti-gay people's reactions after the show, and honestly you can't believe how mad I am at them! I mean, what is the big deal about two people of the same sex loving each other? How would they (the anti-gay) feel if they fell in love and were told not to marry because it is wrong and perverted?

I am really glad that I do have friends who accept me for who I am! i've told some more people since! In fact, one of my friends, when I told her, actually came out to me as bisexual! I talked for like an hour, and she said she felt so great and revived that she ws going to come out some of her friends now! Honestly despite some of the bad stuff overall I feel much better than before I came out!

Perhaps you should try to invite your buddy to do something outside of school? Like, hang out and do something you both enjoyed doing before it got awkward? If not that, this is one of those examples where the best solution may be to give it some time. High School is a tough time and it's really nice to see people being able to come out so young. 15 years ago (crap, now I feel old too!) it was a totally different ballgame, even here in Los Angeles.