2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently came out to my parents and I'm hoping to come out to my little brother soon. My parents were supportive, but I'm unsure about my brother; I fear he'll "talk the talk" but not "walk the walk". I'm also out to a few of my friends, who support me fully, despite what some of their die-hard Christian parents want them to believe. Not that I'm saying all Christians are anti-gay, just some people use religion as an excuse to hate.

I recently came out to one of my friends about three weeks ago while we were on our way to Universal one day, and he was totally cool with it, he had the typical questions that I expected, and he didn't expect me to be gay at all be other than that he was pretty chill. He asked me why I haven't told any of my other friends, well, recently (and I mean about two days ago) I went over there, and they end up making gay jokes all the time. I was told (in a joking way) that if I ever came out to my friend, our friendship would falter a bit, now I know I shouldn't be hanging out with people like that, but for the time being he is one of my greatest friends, and until I find another group of people to replace a few of my current friendships then I'm not coming out to them for a while.

Also, I tried coming out to my mom a while back, needless to say, it didn't really work, and I had to weasel my way back into the closet because of how "ashamed, and sick" she was at me. So I made up some stupid story about not having a good enough relationship with my father, talking to him in the week and settling things out and figuring out I wasn't gay, and she bought it, I swear some really ignorant religious people will believe anything you throw at them. (not bashing religion here, just my mother in general.)

This was all back around the time I was later 16/early 17 and knew I still had to live with my mom for another year at least, so my plan is tell her the day I move out, if she has a problem with it, I could care less, I'm just going to live my life.

- Oreo

^ I recommend a documentary called "For the Bible Tells Me So" to show to those that are having a hard time with the religious aspect of it. It centers on Christians and religious scholars dissecting the bible and showing how the "anti-gay agenda" was never in the bible - but that people interpret it that way to promote their politics. I showed it to my very conservative, Christian parents when I came out and I think it helped a bit.

I agree that this is an enlightening documentary, but I could see how some conservative Christians or Roman Catholics would be offended by it because it basically disrupts how they have been preached & tought religion their entire lives.

It's all about how their religion interprets what is said in the Bible...they feel that if someone as important and high up as the Pope or a famous televangelist preaches that it's immoral & a sin to be gay, that is what they will come to firmly believe & have embedded into their brains for their entire lives.

The sad part is when I hear about the parents (unfortunately I see that a lot just on this site alone) that take what they hear on Sunday to mean everything instead of doing a little research on their own to try and better understand, work with, and love/support their own children.

Another disturbing thing is that a lot of the one's preaching this interpretation & pointing the heaviest finger usually turn out to be the one's committing the most devious acts of debauchery (or other wrongdoings) behind closed doors!

Congrats to the California gays out there, Prop 8 has been deemed unconstitutional! There's still a long way to go (Supreme Court should be a good time), but the judge's wording is what strikes me most:

"Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California," judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote in Tuesday's ruling.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/07/prop-8-california-gay-marriage-ban-struck-down?cat=world&type=article

Edited by coasterfreak101

• 2 weeks later...

So I graduated from high school last May, but I still check-in from time to time. I'm definitely really happy to say that a few weeks ago, my old high school celebrated homecoming. One of my friends, an out lesbian, won homecoming queen. The homecoming king, while straight, is a very open supporter of gay rights. Yeah, I'm totally in a great mood right now! And I come from Kansas!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Logo says the shift in programming - which will abandon most of its gay-only TV lineup - follows a study that more closely identifies the way the LGBT community lives today. Findings suggest that 53 percent of gay people live openly but without a priority to showcase their sexual orientation. Only 30 percent of those surveyed say they preferred living and socializing in an exclusively LGBT community.

I have to say, the switch isn't a big loss. The only thing I watch anymore is drag race. The rest of the stuff just isn't interesting. I miss Rick and Steve

Edited by Moose

Seriously though what is a "gay"channel these days ? Im sorry but I think a network that runs marathons of Golden Girls is just as gay as a network that specializes in shows about gay people. Everyone knows what the target audience is for shows such as Golden Girls

Logo is going the way of gay bars...not really much need anymore because people are more tolerant and it is now just part of normal culture. Still a lot of areas in the US that need work though!

I'm actually surprised that the small city I live in still has two open gay bars. I hate to say it, but we never frequent them as me and my partner feel too old for the bar scene - we just stay home and drink, watch Jeopardy, Sabres games and then fall asleep by 10:00! .

^I've noticed the opposite effect regarding bars/clubs. I've noticed more and more straight people going to those rather than straight clubs. My mom, while straight, chooses only to patronize gay bars/clubs not only because she's a supportive ally, but she loves the atmosphere. She says that compared to "straight" bars/clubs, she feels that people are there just to have fun and socialize. She could also just like it because she can dance with "hot, shirtless Latin boys and not have to worry about anything!"

Last night at my University, they held Queer Prom. My school only has about 13,000 people, but there were near 1,000 people in attendance, many of which were straight and just wanted to have fun. We had a great night!

The gay clubs in Baltimore and DC are still hot and people LOVE to go to them, myself included. Why go to straight bars where there are stupid dress codes and terrible music? Plus a lot of people still in this area do not want to see gay people in straight bars. I would just feel weird going to a straight club and dancing on a guy with the stares. I do not even want to deal with it. A lot of straight people go to gay clubs these days. The atmosphere is just more fun! In this area most bachelorate parties go to gay clubs where they know they won't get hit on and can have fun with their girl friends.

^That's pretty much how it is here in Cincy. All of my straight friends enjoy going out to gay bars with me, especially my female friends. Heck, about an hour ago one of my friends came over and asked how long it was going to be before we go out and see my friend perform (drag queen) and go dancing. The answer is tonight haha.

As for dancing with a guy at a straight bar, it is still kind of odd for me. I have done it but the stares do get uncomfortable at certain times. For the most part though people just don't give a crap which is certainly nice.

When I was in middle and high school, one of the clubs to go to was a gay club. It's still impossible not to run into all kinds of people who go there or have been there. I remember talking to a friend about it years ago and I believe she explained there was some kind of potential awkwardness if straight people attended, but that may have diminished over the years, or perhaps it was only evident if people behaved inappropriately for the environment.

Yeah, college kids LOVE the gay club in DC. Town is probably talked about more than any other club in the area, gay or straight. Entire floors of our dorms spend their Friday nights there, all straight guys just going to have a good time. It's just so much more relaxed - not in the dancing sense, but in the sense that there's just no judgement or anything and you can just be yourself!