TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Daylight Saving Time Fast Approaching

:fangs:

Don't forget kiddies...this Sunday morning at 2am it magically becomes 3am as we lose an hour of sleep!!!! GRRRRR...

I guess on the positive side, if you work nights, you work one less hour!

How about all of our European posters? Do you guys have this crap too!?!?

Here's some info about it: http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/c.html

Elissa "BOOOOO!!!!" Alvey

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Daylight Savings Time! Arizona has the right idea nad just ignores it. 8)

My European colleagues changed their clocks last weekend, so instead of being 5 or 6 hours ahead of me this week, they were 6 or 7 hours ahead, which made scheduling meetings dificult!

Too bad I'm not living in South Bend right now. They are a small spot on the US map that does not abide by this rule so during the winter they are on EST and during the summer they are on CST. Just a fun little fact about a college town I want to belong to.

Too bad I'm not living in South Bend right now. They are a small spot on the US map that does not abide by this rule so during the winter they are on EST and during the summer they are on CST.

Actually, with the exception of 3 or 4 counties, all of Indiana ignores the time change. But, for the umpteenth time, there's a bill in the state legislature trying to put the entire state on daylight savings time. They're also trying to decide, if the change is made, whether we would remain in the eastern time zone or if we would change to the central time zone.

It's kind of crazy living in northern Indiana, because I live within 5 miles of the Michigan state line, and half the year we're on the same time as they are and then we're an hour behind them for the other half of the year.

I love daylight savings time!!! I think we should stay on it all year though....

Shari "Give me daylight" Shoufler

The congress in Iowa is talking about making it a year round thing here. I'm not sure how much support there is for the idea though.

I ended up loosing more than 1 hour of sleep because this one car kept driving up and down our street at "Drive-by" speed and parked behind my car for a while, did more driving slowing down by our house, parked again in front of my aunt's car this time, left and went back on our street on foot...an hour later, drives by again ultra slow. I didn't trust him and was keeping on the lookout on what he was doing...Stupid Daylight Savings...it just had to pick the wrong night!

• 3 years later...
:fangs:

How about all of our European posters? Do you guys have this crap too!?!?

Elissa "BOOOOO!!!!" Alvey

Oh, yes, we have that crap too in Europe, but we will switch 3 weeks later, on sunday, march 29th at 2 am.

I don´t understand that crap too.....!

^ ...but I have to switch on the lights in the morning one hour earlier!!!!

So, where´s the saving?

Gerd.

Not really. Most people are sound asleep when the sun comes up. Whether it's daylight saving or standard time.

So the idea of prolonging daylight does end up saving energy.

Actually, no. I recently read an article in Scientific American that basically said daylights savings time doesn't have any appreciable impact on energy consumption. Rather, it said Daylight Savings Time is good for the economy and that's why we shouldn't do away with it, especially now with the recession.

Actually, no. I recently read an article in Scientific American that basically said daylights savings time doesn't have any appreciable impact on energy consumption. Rather, it said Daylight Savings Time is good for the economy and that's why we shouldn't do away with it, especially now with the recession.

Im curious, how does daylight savings time impact the economy? Not saying it's incorrect, I just do not see the connection.

If didn't had DST it would already be light at 4:30 in summer. So in fact it would be a waste of daylight if we didn't had DST.

It's for saving energie according most of the sources I've read.

I also read that Arizona and Hawaii are the only states that don't have DST because it will cost more energie due to the aircondition. More people will use it during a longer time of the day.

----Hans

Im curious, how does daylight savings time impact the economy? Not saying it's incorrect, I just do not see the connection.

DST means more light in the evenings, when a lot of people get off work and shop (recreationally and groceries/necessities). Having the extra light at that time makes people more inclined to actually go spend money, as people prefer to be out and about when there's daylight (more practical/convenient as well as safe). If it were darker, people would probably be more inclined to not worry about running errands, and consequently hold onto their money.

At least that's how it makes sense to me.