TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wondering. How does the robot arm get power while the coaster body is moving around on the track? Is it a powered vehicle?

Or does it have battery storage and the thing can fly along the track powered only by gravity?

Maybe it is like X, it has a second rail that controls the cars rotation and flips! Maybe the ties have a certain mechanical fixture to flip and/or rotate the seats. Who knows beside the designers!

Looks very fun ... and uncomfortable

I believe there was a report on this ride at one of the IAAPA shows and the Amusement Business article (report). I'm trying to look for the link on the A-B site, but it appears difficult now that the site and A-B are going out of business after 112 yrs. There was also an article on it from Amusement Today, but I haven't found the specific date/issue as of yet.

I believe the ride is powered by a battery pack mounted on the rear portion of the chassis and somehow re-energized by the wheels as it moves along the track. From the ride point of view, I think I seen it enclosed in a dark-ride format (similar to DK @ BGE & Spiderman @ IOA) and the ride goes through various scenes and the robot arm motion goes up and down as it transverses the track. It sounds rather boring, but I believe the special effects and the motion of the arm provides limitless possibilities in movement/motion to create an interesting sensation similar to a motion simulator on a r-c track. I'll post the A-B link as soon as I can find the report.

Anyone in Europe can confirm the ride was supposed to be going into a park in England in '08?

I've been wondering. How does the robot arm get power while the coaster body is moving around on the track? Is it a powered vehicle?

Or does it have battery storage and the thing can fly along the track powered only by gravity?

It could work like X with something along the rails. Maybe, just a theory.

I think I found the Amusement Today issue describing the ride from an IAAPA report. My scanner is down and cannot post any pics. Does anyone else subscribe to the newsletter and post pics?

I still haven't found the article/link from Amusement Business regarding an in-depth coverage on the ride possibilities and so on. I thought I save the article somewhere, but it may be on my other computer. I think it also explained how the coaster-assembly (robo-arm) was energized. I'll still keep looking..lol

Ok I haven't watched Supercoasters yet (it's still sitting in my TiVo depository, along with the Fresh Prince and Futurama) but doesn't Disney have something like this in Downtown Disney at W.D.W? I coulda sworn I heard something like this.

As for power, maybe it's a third rail concept like the subways.

• 1 month later...

This ride was created by KUKA, and if it's anything like their other robots, it uses electricity to turn and hydraulics to move up and down. I recently learned how to operate/control a KUKA robot where I work, and let me tell you, it's amazing how far technology has come.

To anyone who's been on one of these (I know Mt. Olympus has one), what was the experience like?

I've been on the robocoaster at Legoland on all the levels except 1. There's no headbanging at all. It's amazing how smooth it is. The ride was even more disorienting than X. When they finally build one of those on a track, it will be one of the best darkrides ever.

^X was disorienting?^

Anyways, i also went on the robocoaster at legoland (levels two and five) and it was one of the craziest things I've been on, the only headbanging on the arms is caused by stopping a little quickly (I just put my hands on the top of the restraint to create no room for my head to move).

• 2 weeks later...