TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gas Prices where you live

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, a few pages back, someone did a calculation to show just how much the UK is paying for fuel, and now that fuel is averaging at about £1.10 per litre, I'm gonna do the maths.

£1.10 multiplied by 3.78541178 = £4.16 per US gallon

At the current exchange rate which is $1.97 to £1, that $8.20 per US gallon.

Since your gallons are smaller than ours (16fl oz to 20 fl oz), here's how much it is for an imperial measure.

£1.10 multiplied by 4.546 = £5.00 per gallon.

So that's $9.85 per gallon.

That's insane!

If the country had a better light rail transportation network, perhaps the whining would not be quite as bad, but that's never gonna happen.

It's true that most of Europe has a rail system, but what you fail to realize is how expensive it is to travel by train. It's practically the same cost as paying for gas (if not more) and it takes twice the amount of time! In Germany, for example, a train ticket from Munich to Berlin (the distance is comparable from LA to San Francisco) would cost roughly 200 Euros one way and take over 8 hours to get there. While I don't agree how fast gas prices are rising in the States, I think in a way, Americans are quite lucky to be able to pay under $6 dollars a gallon for gas.

OK, a few pages back, someone did a calculation to show just how much the UK is paying for fuel, and now that fuel is averaging at about £1.10 per litre, I'm gonna do the maths.

£1.10 multiplied by 3.78541178 = £4.16 per US gallon

At the current exchange rate which is $1.97 to £1, that $8.20 per US gallon.

Since your gallons are smaller than ours (16fl oz to 20 fl oz), here's how much it is for an imperial measure.

£1.10 multiplied by 4.546 = £5.00 per gallon.

So that's $9.85 per gallon.

That's insane!

If the country had a better light rail transportation network, perhaps the whining would not be quite as bad, but that's never gonna happen.

It's true that most of Europe has a rail system, but what you fail to realize is how expensive it is to travel by train. It's practically the same cost as paying for gas (if not more) and it takes twice the amount of time! In Germany, for example, a train ticket from Munich to Berlin (the distance is comparable from LA to San Francisco) would cost roughly 200 Euros one way and take over 8 hours to get there. While I don't agree how fast gas prices are rising in the States, I think in a way, Americans are quite lucky to be able to pay under $6 dollars a gallon for gas.

Plus you can never ever rely on public transport. As an update from my previous calculation on the photo thread, Petrol near me has now hit £1.17 a litre. I can't be bothered to do the calculation. I didn't realise the American gallon was a different quantity.....

Here in Huntington, most places are at $4.19 or so but you can find $3.99 in a place or two, $4.09 in a couple of locations, and $4.05 at an Exxon on Rt. 60 East out a little ways from downtown.

Regardless, this is insane...will they (investors) ever realize what they are doing to us common folks? It's just adding insult to injury...I think?

Today, I just purchased a nice-riding cruiser longboard (as an upgrade from my entry-level board) and was told that I was crazy spending the $160 for it...but look at it this way: It's probably cheaper than 2 tank-fulls of gas, and doesn't take up weekly paychecks to ride it, plus, better for environment! I think that we all need to go back to our roots and rely on human-propelled transportation when possible.

As a side question, I wonder what would actually happen if everyone just suddenly boycotted driving/buying gas, or use gas at the absolute bare minimum? I know this would be some nice revenge to oil companies as they will be the ones in turn losing money. Would prices rise even moreso (sure they would, and come up with lame excuse) or as the demand would be so low, they would actually consider dropping prices to stimulate buying gas once again? Just a random thought that's built up during the raping of our wallets