TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Gas Prices where you live

Government intervention into the market would actually be bad. It could cause shortages.

Very true as price controls could cripple our supply if other oil thirsty countries, like China, were willing to pay over what we were capped at.

One thing the government could do to improve the situation is to lower fuel taxes. But we know that's not going to happen.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did the conversion for the Euro to the dollar and one gallon of gas in Germany is about $5.95 American dollars. (And that's not even the most expensive! In the Netherlands I think it is close to $8 a gallon). I don't understand why Americans complain so much about high gas prices when they only need to pay $3.80 at the most for a gallon! My roommates are always telling me how much they need to pay, but they really have no idea what it is like for Europeans! I am really very thankful to be living in the States right now!

I think it is more of the fact that overseas there is quite a bit more tax included and most countries have better public transportation. I know in my town, we have city busses, but they used to only run 6am to 6pm. I think they might run till midnight now, but even then I wouldn't be able to get on a bus after my f/t job. Out in California I seen gas for 4 dollars a gallon on tv.

^^We complain because we're used to having an average price of about $1 a gallon. Prior to 9/11 and the war, $1.20 would have been considered insane. Once we became involved in the war, the price just shot up and hasn't come down since. It only continues to get higher. Yeah, compared to the rest of the world we're lucky, but we are always living in the past so our prices are always going to be too high for us.

I did the conversion for the Euro to the dollar and one gallon of gas in Germany is about $5.95 American dollars. (And that's not even the most expensive! In the Netherlands I think it is close to $8 a gallon). I don't understand why Americans complain so much about high gas prices when they only need to pay $3.80 at the most for a gallon! My roommates are always telling me how much they need to pay, but they really have no idea what it is like for Europeans! I am really very thankful to be living in the States right now!

You have to realize that higher gas prices affect EVERYTHING. It's an unavoidable trickle down effect. Sure, most Americans whine (and rightfully so) about the effect it has on their weekly commutes, but truthfully, it's much more than that.

Next time you're in the grocery store (to buy milk or bread, of course), or the mall, or Target, or wherever goods are sold, take a look around. All those products didn't get there by magic. U.S. trucking statistics show that shipping companies made about $165 Billion last year. That's 40,000 shipping companies, and 30,000 independant contractors. And yes, they all run on gas, which means that fuel surcharges are sky high these days. And don't forget shipping by rail, which also figures in highly for the U.S. I think about 70% of all cars are shipped by rail, for instance.

In a nutshell, almost every aspect of American living is affected in some way by rising fuel prices. As was mentioned above, if the country had a better light rail transportation network, perhaps the whining would not be quite as bad, but that's never gonna happen. We're too proud, stubborn, or flat out stupid to give up our pointless gas guzzlers. Also, as scaparri mentioned, we lived so long with reasonable gas prices, that undoubtedly, there's gonna be an uproar over a 100% price hike within the last decade alone. I mean, we went almost a century without breaking $1.00/gallon, and now look at it! Inflation's one thing, but no one can deny that recent trends are bordering on insanity.

Because Americans are a spoiled lot and have an air of entitlement. While I love America I don't love the unrealistic attitudes of many of my fellow Americans.

If people in the US want to have lower gas prices they need to do three things. The price is high because demand is greater then supply. Drill for oil on our own soil and build more refineries are 2 solutions. There is plenty of oil here, we just can't drill for it or refine it because the environmentalist and liberal legislatures have put up road block after road block. The 3rd is to drive less or have more fuel efficient vehicles.

I paid $4.03 a gallon

I filled up today for $3.27 a gallon, crazy that one gas station a minute from my house is $3.49 and 2 minutes away it's $0.22 less a gallon.

Also, as scaparri mentioned, we lived so long with reasonable gas prices, that undoubtedly, there's gonna be an uproar over a 100% price hike within the last decade alone. I mean, we went almost a century without breaking $1.00/gallon, and now look at it! Inflation's one thing, but no one can deny that recent trends are bordering on insanity.

It's amazing that less than 10 years ago, I remember being in NJ and seeing 88 cents a gallon and then on the drive to WDW, I remember seeing 72 cents a gallon in GA. Now, even $2.00 would seem like a deal.

"Cali is $4 gal? Is that regular?" (silverstreak)

It's almost that for regular. I paid $3.859 the other day. Some places are selling mid-grade for $4.10 and up. Premium and diesel are getting close to $4.50.

Eric

I paid $3.64 yesterday for 91 octane. Seriously, if you are paying for premium go to a 7-11 with the pumps that have like 5 different octane's on them. The 91 is cheaper by a good 5 cents over any other gas station.

My p/t job is a grocery store with a gas station. We have 5 different grades, 87, 89, 91, 92, and 93 (or maybe it was 87,89, 91, 93, 94). Each grade is increased by 5 cents.

^ Why so many grades? Here in Calfornia, it's generally 87, 89, and 91.

Eric

Don't know, that is what we have at my work. I personally use 89 which is 5 cents more than 87. We only have 2 grades delivered, low and high. The computer blends the high and low to make the middle grades. That is what they have offered for since they opened. Other stations in town only offer 87 89 and 91 or 87 91 and 93.

A few days ago it recently hit a record high for our area of about $3.51 a gallon. Yeah, not much by some people's standards, (holy crap, $3.51=cheap?!) but cheaper means better. Hopefully this will be an incentive to go to biofuels.