TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

^I was one of those worried about the breakdown of the investment.

It's costing just 1/2 million dollars less than the Voyage, yet it's less than half the length. I really hope this is a $6 million ride, and not a $6 million ride thanks to a very expensive bridge.

What concerned me about the Voyage was the cost relative to the ride itself. Now that thing is huge. Really huge, and yet it seemed like they either got a great deal for the ride, or (as I suspect by the retracking work that's already been been done) it didn't have enough invested in it. That sort of major work on a ride that young comes across as very out of character.

It would be very sad if Ravine Flyer II were to suffer the sort of problems that the Voyage has, and it began to hinder the park's development with a bigger bill for wear and tear than first anticipated, as I do like the place a lot.

Throught my visit and from the comments of Steve Gorman, Waldameer comes accross as a park that has a great team behind it who really know their business well, and I really want this to be a great ride for the park, because they deserve it for all their years efforts into getting it to be a reality.

• 1 month later...

Ravine Flyer II now has an opening Date! May 17th, 2008.

This just in from Waldameer:

The long awaited Ravine Flyer II opening has slipped to Saturday May 17, 2008. The delay was caused by one of the coldest and snowiest months of March on record. Despite the weather, much has been completed:

- all steel structure is erected

- Station, Motor House and Control House are constructed

- steel arched bridge over Peninsula Drive is complete, coaster track over

it will be done soon

- 5 tunnels are built

- trains are complete and sit in the warm shop at Philadelphia Toboggan

Attached is a photo I took this afternoon from the top of the lift hill.

We are well on our way. We look forward to seeing many of you this summer.

Steve Gorman

Waldameer Park, Inc

Note: There will be a fundraising event for the opening weekend to benefit

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. On-line auction for the first train

seats will begin April 14 at www.947bobfm.com

If you haven't signed up for our Behemoth/Ravine Flyer trip yet, there are some spots still open and we will have ERT on this sucker!

--Robb

ravineflyer2.jpg.4cfe680cd869f7556825dabf8dd372f5.jpg

Hopefully the bridge isn't enclosed since that would ruin the fun of seeing all the cars/ the people in the cars seeing riders.

I would imagine it would have to be for liability reasons. What if something flys off the coaster and hits a car?

--Robb

^ I guess the different I see with Goliath and Ghostrider is that at that time you are entering a parking area or a service road, which is usually fairly slow moving traffic. If something hit a car, I don't see much chain reaction happening on the street. And if something did happen, you are at least on park property.

This goes over a highway where I imagine people would be driving at 60MPH or more. A cell phone flying off the ride and hitting a windshield could cause quite the multi-car accident at those speeds.

--Robb

^^Yeah but there's also a lot more pedestrian traffic underneath Goliath and Ghostrider; taking a cell phone to the head at 70mph could cause some serious damage. I personally don't understand how those rides aren't liabilities, and I have to agree that I think it would make more sense for them to enclose the bridge even if it may slightly detract from the ride.

Honestly, I would be more concerned with some random group of immature teens or drunk anybodies who decide it would be funny to try and wing something at an on coming coaster.

A story from near my home town comes to mind where on a parkway about 20 minutes from me where a group of like 4 teens decided to drop a frozen turkey off an overpass and it smashed the windshield and killed a lady. I just imagine the ride like "WOO the highway bridge!!! YEH OW A ROCK!"

I say go with the nets idea.

^ I guess the different I see with Goliath and Ghostrider is that at that time you are entering a parking area or a service road, which is usually fairly slow moving traffic. If something hit a car, I don't see much chain reaction happening on the street. And if something did happen, you are at least on park property.

This goes over a highway where I imagine people would be driving at 60MPH or more. A cell phone flying off the ride and hitting a windshield could cause quite the multi-car accident at those speeds.

--Robb

From our interview with Steve Gorman:

What kind of challenges had to be overcome to allow Ravine Flyer II to travel over the highway?

We needed to satisfy the requirements of PennDOT, which really weren’t too difficult. But it took several years of many discussions with their engineers and legal department to get final approval. PennDOT required the screening over the bridge to prevent any objects from falling onto the road, and chose the color blue for the bridge.

^Ugh, so that's the final color of the bridge? I thought that it was just tarps or something to cover the track construction. I don't know, I guess it makes sense that those covers would be the final ones, but the blue fits into the ride rather awkwardly in my opinion.

It still should be a killer ride though, I just have to have a picky enthusiast moment.

Why can't they just use nets like Goliath? Or why can't they make the walls to the tunnel nets, instead of enclosed?

--James

The answer is a few posts up....

"We needed to satisfy the requirements of PennDOT"