TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

Maintenance, layout, quality of design and fabrication all play into whether a wooden coaster will age well.  Aggressive layouts, IMO, have to have a forgiveble structure so that the structure is not too stiff, allowing some sway as the train travels on the tracks. The way it is braced is really important, more so on intense layouts.  And of course the trains must be appropriate for the coaster they serve.  All very curvy, twisted layouts SHOULD have articulated trains.  PTC box train cars sould only be on out and back layouts with mostly straight hills, not on twisters!

Certainly the use of PTC's is not ideal! 

18 minutes ago, Dan the Coaster Man said:

I have only ridden RFII this year and I did not think it was rough at all. Not sure what had recently been retracked but I didn't catch a hint of what most people seem to be mentioning

That is encouraging. I know ofc that coasters, especially wooden ones with some age, can be temperamental. I'll prob give it a try again next year, I really wanted to love it. 

Ironically (or the internet and its perpetual spying mechanisms) in my side bar on YT (w/o looking up RFII) was a RFII POV from earlier this year, looked quite fast and smooth (from the best you can tell from a POV) so yeah I will stop by here again to give it another go :)  Esp w the above comments confirming it may have just been a bad day/needed retracking when I went

• 4 months later...

Visited Waldameer yesterday (Sunday May 22) and it was a good visit as usual.  The weather was crap as it was constantly drizzling and 57 degrees, but that seemed to keep the crowds away as everything was a walk on.  Music Express was down as was Mega Vortex, but all other rides were running.  You know this isn't Cedar Point!

Ravine Flyer II was AMAZING.  Yes, I am biased and have had this ride at or near the top of my rankings since it opened back in 2008.  But I don't know if it was the off-season trackwork, the rain or if they put new wheels on the trains, but it was running all out crazy.  There's a few spots where the train shakes and jolts, but it's a wooden coaster and that is to be expected.  But the speed, airtime and crazy laterals seemed amplified over last season.  Definitely a must-ride.

Whacky Shack looked good on my first ride as all stunts (including the blinking lights right past the ugly bar lady scene) were working beautifully.  On my second ride through, the giant mouse at the end was left in the dark.  Weird, and perhaps a little whacky!

Pirate's Cove also was in top shape.  I honestly got lost in the "jail room" as it seemed really dark in there, and being claustrophobic, I sort of freaked out a bit!  I followed the "I ain't got no body" voices and eventually found my way out.  I love the final scene of a pirate with his head coming out of a toilet with a flushing sound effect being played.  Even at my advanced age, toilet humor still makes me laugh.

I rode the train, walked around for a bit and enjoyed the fact that the Gift House had FAR more merchandise than last year, including a boss t-shirt with the old school Waldameer Park and Water World logo on it (which of course I promptly purchased!).  One thing I did notice was that, like Knoebels, the ride prices all increased.  It looked like the 2 and 3 point rides went up to 2.5 and 3.5 respectively while the 4 and 4.5 point rides went up to 5 and 5.5 points.  While that does seem a bit pricey, you do get bonus points for purchasing larger amounts on your Wally Card.  Or, you could just pay the approx $40 to ride all day, which if you plan on power riding is probably the way to go.  I also saw a "No Single Riders" sign at the Scrambler.  I am not sure if that rule has always been in place but as a usual single rider, that is now two rides I can't go on.  Mr. Nelson was cruising around in his golf cart so maybe I should have asked, but he really frightens me and I don't want to be one of "those visitors" that complains to the park owner!  I didn't stay late to see the new LED's on the Giant Wheel, but I did see the further obstruction of the Carousel as there is a new food stand on the Comet side of the pavilion.  

Waldameer will always be one of my favorite parks and reading that they have a new "10 year plan" in place makes me excited for the future.  

• Like 2

Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit on that pretty miserable Sunday. Scrambler's no single rider policy is in line with an updated safety bulletin recommendation from Eli Bridge. Music Express is an electrical issue we are working with Bertazzon to get to the bottom of, and Vortex was having issues with the damp track affecting ride speed and whatnot. Things are coming together around the park, and staffing is dramatically improved so far.

As for this.....

1 hour ago, BitterOldHag said:

Mr. Nelson was cruising around in his golf cart so maybe I should have asked, but he really frightens me 

The statement applies to over 95% of full-time and seasonal employees, so you are not alone feeling that way.

• Like 3

So great to hear the news!  In my book, Waldameer is one of the best parks, period.  So much goodness, so well taken care of.  No hassle and nice people.  4 long years since my last visit, too long!  I can't stop geeking out over the beautiful curved classic Comet station with mag brakes (best of old and new meet, wish other parks noticed!)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Quick, random question for @ajfelice. Are there any plans for the old Inn at Presque Isle sign tower that remains at the corner of 6th and Peninsula? I know that it was left and painted after everything was levelled and the parking lot finished but never knew why there wasn't any done with it since.

2 hours ago, _s3_ said:

Quick, random question for @ajfelice. Are there any plans for the old Inn at Presque Isle sign tower that remains at the corner of 6th and Peninsula? I know that it was left and painted after everything was levelled and the parking lot finished but never knew why there wasn't any done with it since.

I don't know the truth about this, but I heard something awhile back about them desiring to have a sign in that location, but if they took the current one down there would be some impediment in putting up a new one in the future, so they left the blank sign as a kind of placeholder.  This was only a rumor that I heard so I can not guarantee that it is true.

There are no current plans for the old Inn at Presque Isle sign. It does not meet current zoning codes, so it can only be used as is with little modification. It's beginning to deteriorate quickly as some pieces of the trim around the sign face have fallen off, but who knows if that will sway any plans for its future.

In my opinion it's an obtuse eyesore, and should be removed in favor of something that fits the landscape nicer. The current codes do not allow for a sign as tall as the current one, but anything on that mostly barren corner will stand out and look nicer than the current structure.

• Like 2

Gotcha, thanks! Kind of figured it was something zoning wise just looking back on the hurdles that Sheetz faced when building at the corner of 8th and Peninsula (requiring lower signage and pump coverings).

Would definitely look better if there was some sort of ground-style Waldameer sign (ala Cedar Point's causeway entrance sign) at the corner or even nothing at all. Just always perplexed me that it was left standing as I drive by it multiple times a day and think about it each time.

• 2 weeks later...

Small little info drop by Paul Nelson in a recent local news spot regarding July 4th changes this year. At the end of the update they mention:

The owner of Waldameer also wants the public to know that they will be starting an expansion project for the Water Park.

The planning for what is touted as “the most exciting water slide Waldameer will have to offer” will begin construction in fall of 2023.

https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/fourth-of-july-at-waldameer-whats-changing-for-the-holiday/

My guess is that it's a ProSlide Tornado (either 60 or 45) that will fill in the current grass plot left over from the old kiddie splash pools that were removed when the Kidz Zone was added.

• 1 month later...

I saw that the other day.  I'm planning on going to the park to get my 2023 pass tonight. I'm sure my kids would be happy to ride the train, so I may go find out where the marker is for my own personal entertainment

They were indicating back in May that the next 2 years at least are water park related, so the location you pointed out makes sense

• Like 1

I rode the train with my family tonight to find the marker and I missed it the first time past because it's nowhere near where I expected.
I guess when they said requiring an exact fit they weren't kidding.

This satellite image is out of date too, it's missing the bowl slide that's on the tower just north of the marker.

WaldameerConstructionMarker.jpg

Here's a different approximate angle

WaldameerConstructionMarker2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well they posted another teaser:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChuQ2ovLp1i/

Looks like they are getting a ProSlide RocketBLAST, which would make sense as they mentioned it being the "largest water park investment" they've made.

With that survey pin location, I'm very interested how they are going to shoehorn this in. Will be intriguing to see.

Screenshot_20220829-112559.png

• Like 1