TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

I was there Saturday also, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking the Paratrooper was running insanely slow.  I've ridden that thing countless times, I've never been as confused about the speed as I was on Saturday.  The thing that was crazy to me was that there were people floating around the lazy river on a day in the 50s.  Not my idea of a great time, but whatever.

Give Comet a chance again on a warmer day the next time you're there, I always get a few pops of air on it (and it's nice that it's a coaster my kids can ride and enjoy).  So far this year it has felt mild, but it's early in the season yet and it has been cold

50 minutes ago, pryonisys said:

The thing that was crazy to me was that there were people floating around the lazy river on a day in the 50s.  Not my idea of a great time, but whatever.

Never ceases to amaze me either how deadset people are on using the waterpark regardless of weather. Same thing was happening up here this weekend for SFDL. I felt like asking these people if they check the weather reports. 🤦‍♂️

16 hours ago, jconsolmagno said:

Unfortunately, it looks like Waldameer may not be safe this year, lot of fights! I really thought we locked the bad guys up on Jan. 6. looks like we missed a few.

Couple racist comments in that video 😬

I went yesterday after going to Coastermania. I was in the park for 3.5 hours. Didn't see anything similar to the video. I saw a few cases of kids trying to jump the railings but they were not cutting in line, but rather being stupid. Ravine Flyer II is a great ride so I'm glad I made the stop. 

Last year must have been too good to be true for me... a Saturday in July and there may have been 1,000 ppl in the park. No waits, even in the water park.

Guess that might not be the case if I run up there in the coming weeks

On 6/5/2021 at 11:22 PM, disownedpear said:

Sounds like what people think SFA is like daily(it's not) I can't believe your friend got assaulted for no reason, that's just insane. Do you have any more details about how that happened? 

That's not my video. The guy who posted it, is a member here.

On 6/8/2021 at 1:23 PM, jconsolmagno said:

Last year must have been too good to be true for me... a Saturday in July and there may have been 1,000 ppl in the park. No waits, even in the water park.

Guess that might not be the case if I run up there in the coming weeks

Last Saturday:

Ravine Flyer II- 20-30 minutes but was getting longer as more people left the water park. Only ran one train.

Steel Dragon- 15-20 minute wait. 5 of it was due to a breakdown. 

Wacky Shack- 15 minute wait

Other 3 coasters- 5 minute wait. 

I've only had one ride on Ravine Flyer II this year (mainly going for the kids) and it was a 20-30 minute wait, with one train.  It got held up for awhile because someone threw up.
It has seemed busier than last year, but not packed, we'll see how crowds spread out as they open up more of the week

I emailed the park about the one train ops awhile back.  Like Knoebels, they do it to stop the PTCs from tearing up the track too much, which I do appreciate. I was mainly curious if there were predetermined days during which they traditionally run two trains, and that's sort of the case. On Saturdays in late June, July, and August you'll see two trains if the crowds warrant it.

1 hour ago, CenturyFlyer said:

I emailed the park about the one train ops awhile back.  Like Knoebels, they do it to stop the PTCs from tearing up the track too much, which I do appreciate. I was mainly curious if there were predetermined days during which they traditionally run two trains, and that's sort of the case. On Saturdays in late June, July, and August you'll see two trains if the crowds warrant it.

That is different than years past. I remember going out there on weeknights 5 years ago and they were running 2 trains. Seemed odd to me since neither of the trains were filled.

2 hours ago, CenturyFlyer said:

Seems reasonable.  Nice of the park to respond to an inquiry about operations like that, it would have been easy for them to just not reply to that or give a slightly more generic answer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Was at the park earlier today for a quick visit and it was far busier than I was expecting.  While most of the crowd was in the water park, the rides still had slightly longer lines than usual.  Ali Baba and Mega Vortex were both down.  

The one thing that really surprised me was that Ravine Flyer II was incredibly rough.  I sat in Seat 2.1 and there was a LOT of rattling and jackhammering.  It was probably the worst ride I have had on it since it debuted in 2008.  Maybe I’m just spoiled by riding Mystic Timbers so much this past year, but RF2 was one and done for me.  

Also, The gift shop looked like it was going out of business.  I asked if it was closing and the girl said that since the season ends soon, they were just out of merchandise.  I don’t recall seeing it look so empty before, even on the final weekend of the year.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Another odd thing today as I was on the Sky Ride, an announcement was made over the park’s PA system asking a specific guest to return to their car immediately as “the authorities were waiting”.  Since you can see the West 6th Street parking area from the Sky Ride, I noticed There was a police car with its flashers on blocking in someone’s car, so I don’t know what happened.  Just seemed unusual.  

And finally, props to the Dude operating the Music Express.  He was really getting riders into the “scream if you want to go faster” bit and even had some funny lines like “what is this, a library?  No, it’s the Music Express.  Let me hear some noise!l”  Not sure why but that made me smile!  I also saw Mr. Nelson zipping around in his golf cart, which is always a treat.  He always looks like he wants to run someone over, but he’s a legitimately nice guy!  

• Like 1

^2.1 has been a rougher seat for as long as I can remember. The good news is a large stretch of track from the 90 degree bank into the valley and back up the hillside is being replaced this fall along with some touch ups in other areas. Hopefully someday the PTCs are replaced.

Regarding the authorities, a dog has been left in a car TWICE by the same owner in the past week. The Gift House is low on merchandise due in part to very high in-park spending at rates never seen before coupled with combating supply chain issues that have plagued multiple industries this year.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info AJ.  That is just sad about the dog.  Hopefully the dog was ok.  The owner on the other hand… 🤬

I should say that a bad ride on Ravine Flyer II is still better than rides on most wooden coasters out there.  Just seemed weird that it was way rougher than I recall.  The park has done a fantastic job on upkeep of this ride as 99% of my rides have been spectacular since it opened.  New trains would be interesting to say the least.

And as far as the gift shop goes, hearing that in park spending is that high is fantastic news.  After a rough 2020, I’m sure that is a great sign.  I have been visiting Waldameer since 1991 and will continue to do so every year that I am able to.  I bought 2 t-shirts and 4 blocks of the park’s amazing fudge (still the best that I have had) today so it may not be much, but I contribute when I can!  

Again, thanks for the info and best wishes on a successful rest of the season.  

I was at the park yesterday for a couple of hours, RFII had the longest lines I've seen for it since opening year, but I also heard that they were having a problem with one of the trains, so that's understandable.  I'm glad to see the park continuing to get plenty of traffic this year, they needed something after how slow it was last year.

• Like 1

^Nothing wrong with either train (aside from being PTCs), but there is not a chance there will be two trains in operation with the staff shortage. Running one train frees up one or two Team Members who can open one or two other rides. It really sad watching the ridership of RFII dip is it can't get any boost from 2-train operation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/10/2021 at 7:21 AM, CenturyFlyer said:

Is there another train option!?  PTC trains are heavy and harsh on tracks.   As soon as the tracks become a little loose those trains beat them pretty good. Bring back the light and spacious Morgan trains!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ricklap77 said:

Is there another train option!?  PTC trains are heavy and harsh on tracks.   As soon as the tracks become a little loose those trains beat them pretty good. Bring back the light and spacious Morgan trains!

Timberliners. So comfy 

On 8/6/2021 at 7:12 PM, ajfelice said:

^2.1 has been a rougher seat for as long as I can remember. The good news is a large stretch of track from the 90 degree bank into the valley and back up the hillside is being replaced this fall along with some touch ups in other areas. Hopefully someday the PTCs are replaced.

Interesting! I want to stop by again some time and give RFII another go because it's so legendary and does have a fantastic layout, but the rides I had (this was either 2017 or 2018 I forget) were brutally rough...and I got a high tolerance, even enjoyment, for rough rides but holy crap it was jarring! Took away from the experience and it also felt kinda sluggish, not much air...I assumed because so much of the ride was being shaken away into oblivion lol But if some retracking happened/will happen I may give it another go. I wanted to love it but instead I needed advil and to sit for an hour :(