TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

Let's say I'm not doing the water park at all, should I be able to do just about everything important in 5 hours Friday night? I was thinking of doing the evening pass. Preferably I'd like many rides on Ravine Flyer II. Is it typically about a half hour wait, more, less?

On most Fridays you can do everything and then some in five hours. Ravine Flyer II will be ten minutes give or take depending on which seat you want to wait for. Not sure which Friday you are planning, but be advised that Friday June 10 the park is only open until 7:30.

I'm planning to be at Waldameer next Thursday. Do any of you veterans have any words of wisdom for me? I'll be spending the majority of my time at Ravine Flyer II. Thanks.

Should be a pretty slow day in the park based on projections. You will have time do be lazy or marathon as much as you want. Ravine Flyer II should only be a couple train wait for most rows.

Must Do's:

Ravine Flyer II, Comet, and Steel Dragon of course.

Both Bill Tracy Darkrides, Whacky Shack and Pirate's Cove.

Thunder River is an underrated flume.

Ferris Wheel and Sky Ride have great views (remember, No Single Riders on Ferris Wheel).

XScream for the view and its an A.R.M.

Music Express is much faster than many parks.

If George is the Train Conductor for the day, he gives a great tour of the park.

As for food, concessions are greatly improved over recent years. If you head into Water World, you can't go wrong with Waveside Grill. Also, the new Carousel Sub Shop is reasonably priced for an amusement park, and is almost as good as Jimmy John's and leaves Subway in the dust.

Waldameer is the only park I have ever been to where I have actually been able to afford the food! Some of it was cheaper than normal food in the city I live, I think I got a big ice cream for like $2 the last time I went which is $6 at a carnival here, I think I fed 2 people for under $13 (we didnt buy bottled water we bring our own) but that is still extremely impressive for a park as most food places here that arent even in parks you have to spend that on one person and there is no way around it. The average food truck meal here is $12-15 for one item.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

This park is so cool! It has surprised me greatly! A small park but packs a lot of thrill and fun! I am not going to the water park unfortunately but it looks awesome! I am in love with Ravine Flyer 2! This is such an awesome ride!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

^ Cool vid...looks like you guys had a great day with minimal crowds!

My friend went with his family last weekend and he said that Ravine Flyer had gotten really rough. I told him that he should have waited for the front seat, because IMO that's where any wooden coaster rides the best.

I don't think Ravine Flyer II is rough by any means - it's still a great ride! From what I've learned with wooden coasters, as long as you sit in the front row of any car the ride will be minimally rough, if at all.

Ravine Flyer 2 is really smooth and one of my top 3 wooden coasters of all time.

I posted this impression of my recent trip to Waldameer (for my Birthday!) in the Underrated Parks thread, because I wasn't sure if there was a Waldameer thread, but now that I know there is, I'll put it here instead!

What a great little park! Everybody who praised it in the Underrated Parks thread was spot on! I enjoyed a number of the flats, as well as the fun and quirky Pirate's Cove and Wacky Shack! With apologies to coasterbill, I did not ride the flume, even though I was interested in it... I'll definitely go back sometime, and I'll be sure to hit that, and the Music Express, which I also missed.

But the two stand-outs:

That crazy, scary, scream-heavy drop tower X-Scream - are you kidding me??? It's been since my early days riding Demon Drop, since I've felt that freaked out on a drop ride! Holy frick!!!

And of course, Ravine Flyer II! What an absolutely amazing, fantastic, and world-class coaster! From the view at the top of the lift, to the awesome tunnels, to the bridge over the highway, to airtime galore all over the place, to its unrelenting nature, to the 90 degree turn (cue the TPR video of RFII!), and to night rides on it, which were a Top 5 night experience on a coaster! It's now in my Top 10 overall, and a Top 3 wooden coaster for me! It's not quite as good as its bigger cousin The Voyage, but is at least a little more accessible for a larger amount of people, since it's not as "intense".

BTW, I rode Ravine Flyer 3, and it was SO embarrassing, since there was nobody else on it over 10 it appeared, and all the adults/parents were standing off to the side waiting for their kids, just staring at me. Even the ride op was clearly suppressing laughter the whole time, with the most bemused smile on his face. Having said that, it's a very legit kiddie coaster, and actually quite fun to ride! I love the setting over the water, circling the fountain, too! Having said that, I will NOT be getting on it again, unless one of my kids is with me, since I can't take all that judgmental staring again! Here is a picture of me enjoying it, in all of my ridiculous, enthusiast glory!

13962546_10154526426591995_3623209558083987151_n.jpg.ed203f168a14d72f8ca4ef286b004f7f.jpg

Oh, the shame! ;)

Waldameer was a great park experience, and it was definitely a worthy place to spend my Birthday! Riding Ravine Flyer II is one of the best Birthday presents a coaster-lover could ask for!

^Looks like you had a blast.

Ravine Flyer II like any wooden coaster is not as smooth on wheel-seats except for the very back that rides extremely well. Unfortunately PTC trains do not handle any form of extreme banking or transition well. Personally and with shared opinion from others in the company, I would like to see the PTCs replaced down the road.

But the good news is for those who mention roughness this that the day after the park closed, work began on several sections of track.

• 1 month later...

http://www.dailyprogress.com/pennsylvania-water-park-expansion-focuses-on-historic-battle/article_ee06446d-1578-5994-b389-0070031c84bc.html

Pennsylvania water park expansion focuses on historic battle

Updated Oct 25, 2016

ERIE, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania amusement park near Lake Erie plans to include a history less about a key battle in the War of 1812 in a planned expansion of its water park.

The Erie Times-News (http://bit.ly/2dSoYQ2 ) says Waldameer Park & Water World will include historical references in the multi-million-dollar "The Battle of Lake Erie" project.

Paul Nelson, CEO of the family-owned park in Millcreek Township, says the attraction should be open by late May. It will include 102 water attractions and seven slides, among other features. The new feature is being built on vacant land between the park's wave pool and the Kidz Zone, a special water area for younger children.

The Battle of Lake Erie, in September 1813, helped the United States seize control of the lake from the British.

^More specifically the children's structure to be added is a ProSlide RideHOUSE 500.

This addition will round out the new "family section" of Water World that already includes the wave pool and Kidz Slide 'n Spray Zone. Both of which have been huge draws so far. It will be fun to finally have an attraction in the park with a theme, and simply not the "Giant Wave Pool" or "Kidz Slide 'n Spray Zone." 2016, despite having significant delays with the Water World expansion, was about a 5% increase across the board for revenue at Waldameer and Water World. Future Water World expansions will include a ProSlide Cannon Bowl and possibly a custom layout mat racer. Future ride expansions are merely in the idea phase as the park owner, Mr. Nelson, describes a different new ride he likes almost every week.

^More specifically the children's structure to be added is a ProSlide RideHOUSE 500.

This addition will round out the new "family section" of Water World that already includes the wave pool and Kidz Slide 'n Spray Zone. Both of which have been huge draws so far. It will be fun to finally have an attraction in the park with a theme, and simply not the "Giant Wave Pool" or "Kidz Slide 'n Spray Zone." 2016, despite having significant delays with the Water World expansion, was about a 5% increase across the board for revenue at Waldameer and Water World. Future Water World expansions will include a ProSlide Cannon Bowl and possibly a custom layout mat racer. Future ride expansions are merely in the idea phase as the park owner, Mr. Nelson, describes a different new ride he likes almost every week.

He did say we should expect a new coaster after the water park expansion. They should expect the GL/WWK crowd to start to find their way to Waldameer. I would buy a season pass at $90 a person, I can't justify it but many probably could.

• 3 months later...
http://www.dailyprogress.com/pennsylvania-water-park-expansion-focuses-on-historic-battle/article_ee06446d-1578-5994-b389-0070031c84bc.html

Pennsylvania water park expansion focuses on historic battle

Updated Oct 25, 2016

ERIE, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania amusement park near Lake Erie plans to include a history less about a key battle in the War of 1812 in a planned expansion of its water park.

The Erie Times-News (http://bit.ly/2dSoYQ2 ) says Waldameer Park & Water World will include historical references in the multi-million-dollar "The Battle of Lake Erie" project.

Paul Nelson, CEO of the family-owned park in Millcreek Township, says the attraction should be open by late May. It will include 102 water attractions and seven slides, among other features. The new feature is being built on vacant land between the park's wave pool and the Kidz Zone, a special water area for younger children.

The Battle of Lake Erie, in September 1813, helped the United States seize control of the lake from the British.

Even though I live in Erie I hadn't heard that they are going to do that. That's kind of interesting, I'm curious as to how they are going to do incorporate the Battle of Lake Erie into Water World.

Basically they are including theming into the new water structure. They posted the rendering on their Facebook which looks pretty good.

Also, they posted a photo on Instagram a few days back of a Steel Dragon chassis in the body shop going through some offseason maintenance. Interesting to see the photo on the board in the background: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQgSUxPAXqZ.

15384530_1136491449732211_5220547269207718744_o.thumb.jpg.fa620ac09e1f967818ee4f85cfecf650.jpg

16584989_1890837121199450_242395262557880320_n.thumb.jpg.e81c221315eea3392392d418ab416810.jpg

I think that it's pretty cool that both Waldameer and CP are re-theming their water parks with regards to the history (and superstitions) of Lake Erie given their close proximity to it.

... and on the subject of nearby water park additions, word on the street is that Conneaut Lake is planning to use chlorine in their pools for the entire season this year! What a time to be a water park fan in the Lake Erie region!

^ It's probably just unfiltered water from Conneaut Lake pumped from a hose & mixed with generic chlorine that was on clearance at Ace Hardware.

You know... I could really see that being the case.

I always forget Conneaut Lake Park even has a "water park" until going to Ghost Lake in the fall and seeing a random slide.