TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

I am the source that told Screamscape about the new plans for the wave pool. Right now the new target opening is 2015. It's kind of a bummer, but the 2013 expansion came with a price a lot higher than orignally planned, and the length of time required to install the wave pool is much longer than expected.

Since this information was published in a industry magazine, I can let you in on some of the future plans for Water World. Some future things to consider are a bowl, funnel, and a family raft slide among several proposals. The new children's play area will be next to the wave pool in the existing parking lot, so the current play area will be removed to make the major slide complex expansion possible. The empty spot on the tower where Midnight Plunge and Awesome Twosome currently are has also been addressed by ProSlide, but no official plans have been released. On top of that, the entrance to the park from the Peninsula Drive parking lot will have to be redesigned to make way for the monster expansion. This plan I'm talking about will take place over several years, not just one or two.

Thanks AJ for the information... Yes that is a bummer. It is good though to see that the park owners are maintaining a smart sense of financials and not getting in over their heads. There are so many companies out there (including the one I work for) that try to expand to fast and then all of a sudden see themselves in a debt situation they cannot handle. They did so much this year with buying the Inn, demolishing the cottages, refurb of the Ferris Wheel and Scrambler, addition of the Musik Express with landscaping and re-track work of RV2. I am sure all added up that is a large amount of $.

It was a little rough for me the past few years (Not Mean Streak or The Boss rough). I believe the first time I rode it was the year after it opened and it was real smooth. However, they did do much track work this off season to restore the smoothness. so you may be in luck.

It's not that rough at all, well in my opinion. I went on it at least 6 times in a row before taking a break and it didn't bother me much. It's no where near Mean Streak rough at all, far from it. Though I didn't ride RFII its opening season, I can speak for it now and it's still a great coaster.

I'm getting really excited because I just found out that I will get to visit Waldameer for the first time this season! So I was wondering how RFII has held up since being built. Has it gotten very rough?

Well....the largest tree in the park recently fell on it, lol.

But I rode it last summer, is it was a nice ride, the park really takes care of the ride. Its running pretty nice when we were there, and they were re-tracking some stuff over the winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd share with everyone something really cool we will be doing at Waldameer on Opening Weekend May 11-12.

A local news anchor will attempt to break the Guinness World Record of longest time on a Ferris Wheel by riding for 31 hours. The public is welcome to join him for a ride if they make a donation to the John Kanzius Cancer Research Foundation. Link: http://yourerie.com/fulltext?nxd_id=297752

Another cool thing I learned this past week is that we will finally conquer running two trains on Comet. Both trains are finishing rehab at PTC, and Comet will be ready to operate for opening day. However, two train operation will probably not occur until at least Memorial Day weekend if not later when crowds start to pick up. Lastly, crews were available earlier than we expected, and Ravine Flyer II is back up and ready to go. Heck, it's already roaring over Peninsula Drive weeks before we usually get started on testing.

• 1 month later...

Visited today for the first time, spent a few hours in the park. Was busy but lines weren't too long, Ravine Flyer II running really well, love the airtime! The log flume was pretty decent as well, and I think I have a new favourite drop tower.

Weird stuff going on while we were on the Music Express, first there was some chronic line cutting happening behind us, people were just jumping the fence right near the front of the queue. Fortunately the ride op noticed and they got booted out. Then just as the ride cycle is about to end there is an e-stop, two groups were kicked off and they gave the remaining guests (myself included) a bonus cycle. Overheard park security as I was exiting, sounded like someone had decided to get high while on the ride. So that was an interesting end to our day.

Glad you enjoyed Ravine Flyer II and Thunder River. Unfortunately, you visited on one of the three days I never recommend visiting. Fourth of July and the Friday following the Fourth are the other days you should never visit due to the rowdiness of the crowds. As you noticed with the chronic line jumping and apparent drug use, today was not one of Waldameer's proudest moments. The rowdiness of the crowds on Memorial Day and Fourth of July is the reason we don't have fireworks on those days anymore. Instead, we celebrate with fireworks the days before. Although the coolness of this weekend made this Memorial Day not so harsh, but it still had several "moments."

Thanks for stopping by!

^It was only as we were about to leave (around 7pm) that I noticed anything going on. Apart from that the crowds seemed pretty good. After the double ride I've had my fill of theusic Express for a little while though!

Glad you enjoyed Ravine Flyer II and Thunder River. Unfortunately, you visited on one of the three days I never recommend visiting. Fourth of July and the Friday following the Fourth are the other days you should never visit due to the rowdiness of the crowds. As you noticed with the chronic line jumping and apparent drug use, today was not one of Waldameer's proudest moments. The rowdiness of the crowds on Memorial Day and Fourth of July is the reason we don't have fireworks on those days anymore. Instead, we celebrate with fireworks the days before. Although the coolness of this weekend made this Memorial Day not so harsh, but it still had several "moments."

Thanks for stopping by!

Gotta agree with you there.

I have always enjoyed visiting Waldameer, but when I went on Memorial Day a couple of years ago and the line jumping (as well as some of the behavior) was totally out of control, I realized that I would never go there on a holiday weekend again.

Every other visit has been great fun....no issues at all.

I had a great visit to The park today. Ravine Flyer II was running just as good, maybe even a little better, than it was opening year. Even the first few rides of the day had airtime galore. The real surprise was the insane cycle that you experience on the brand new Music Express. Seriously I have never ridden one so fast. Videos simply does not do it justice when it pops into overdrive speed. I do not think I have ever experienced airtime on one of those rides before.

About "Turbo Mode" or "Turbo Time" that you may hear several times throughout the day on Music Express. That was completely made up by an operator on Opening Day, and it stuck. It was not a part of the "guide" I created for them, but I encouraged them to create their own messages. Walking down the Midway, it's become quite common to hear our guests talking about "Turbo Time." The ride has become a huge hit for the park as not only the number of riders it draws is impressive, but the number of re-rides is phenomenal for a ride of it's kind. I have never heard so much screaming and excitement on any flat ride in the park like the Music Express has generated.

Also, I wasn't kidding when I told all of you that we had Music Express programmed to the absolute max!

Went to Waldameer yesterday for about 6 hours and what a great time we had yesterday.

- 14 rides on Ravine Flyer 2

-3 rides on Music Express

-2 rides on Scrambler

-2 rides on Steel Dragon

-1 ride on The Comet

-1 ride on Whacky Shack

Ravine Flyer was awesome....even better than I remembered it from my last 2 trips. It feels like it's going faster now.

As for Music Express.....I don't think me and my girlfriend have ever had so much fun on a flat ride as we did on this and very rarely do I feel woozy after coming off of a ride but after my 2nd ride ina row I could feel my stomach doing some interesting things.

Great little park that I will always come back to just because of the wooden hotness of Ravine Flyer 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I visited Waldameer for the first time, and I can say that the park definitely exceeded my expectations. Due to the weather we did not get to spend as much time as we would've liked, but we still managed to ride quite a few rides. What surprised me most about the park was how pleasant the atmosphere was.

The landscaping was very nice, and the bronze statues were a nice touch. We ended our trip with a quick visit to the water park which was a nice feature due to the low price of admission. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Waldameer, and I plan to return during the years to come. Here are my opinions of each of the rides I rode in the order I rode them:

Ali Babba - This was actually my first magic carpet I've ridden. I wasn't anything too special, however I did think that the inclusion of the fountain in front of the ride made it very appealing.

Steel Dragon - This ride was much more fun than I was expecting. While it obviously was not very intense, it was hectic and very enjoyable with a group of friends. We got two rides on it, and I would've done more had it not been for the weather.

Ravine Flyer II - Fantastic ride! The ride really hauls for its height. You get plenty of airtime, especially going over the bridge. The 90 DEGREE banking turn really did live up to the hype. The ride almost never let up and maintained speed very well making for great pacing. We only got to ride it four times, but I would say that riding in the middle on the right side was the best. This is definitely going to be one of my favorite woodies, and maybe even crack my top 5 coasters overall. I can't say enough good things about this ride. I can not wait to ride it again!

Scrambler - Nothing too different about this than any other scrambler. I did really like the paint job though!

Whacky Shack - This was a pretty neat old school dark ride. I thought it was pretty fun, but it was nothing compared to how much my friend enjoyed it. I don't think anybody who was involved in making the ride thought that any adult would enjoy the ride as much as he did. I'm pretty sure it is now his favorite ride he's ever been on anywhere.

Music Express - I was expecting this ride to be intense. Everything I had heard up until this point made me think that. But STILL I was blown away by how fast they run this ride. Once this thing has picked up speed you have to hang on for dear life! My friends who was sitting in the inside was eventually smashing into me. All of this makes it sound like I didn't like the ride, but of course I actually loved it. I really regret only riding this once as this is one of the best flats I've ever ridden.

Mega Vortex - I couldn't stand this ride. I really don't know why I went on it. The position you sit in is very awkward. Nothing was very interesting about the ride other than the feeling it gave me in my stomach, and the feeling of imprisonment in the awkward seating position.

Comet - This ride was pretty much what I expected. There was nothing to really get excited about for it, but it was running more smoothly than I had expected.

Edited by mangoman15

Oh that bring me some memories back from my childhood when my home park had an insane Music Express (Named Disco Jet). It was running at an incredible speed and had airtime over the little humps. If you're sitting three in a row the outer guy was in for some squashing pain (but fun for the people on the sadistic side... like me )

However the height limitation wasn't that high as I could ride it as a kid and over time kids were getting flung out on three different occasions. Simply said they got rid of the ride

I finally got to visit on July 3rd. Two of my cousins who I hadn't seen in years and I drove over for a few hours. I loved Ravine Flyer! I'd really like to try a night ride on it... My favorite seat was the back right, especially getting pulled over the top of the lift hill and when diving into the ravine . We really enjoyed our time there and Waldameer's a great, classic, park. We got 4 rides on the Ravine Flyer, 3 on Steel Dragon which was my first Maurer-Sohne and my first spinner. Loved that ride! Comet was neat. Other highlights were mistakingly keeping my hands up on the log flume. X-Scream was my 2nd favorite ride behind RFII. What a great view from up there! To be honest, it was pretty scary but my cousins were pretty insistent that I tackle it and I'm glad I did. We got 3 rides on that. They, however, refused to ride with me on the music express (bad idea) and Vortex (good idea). Vortex didn't make me feel sick or particularly uncomfortable, just that I thought I was going to die. Not at all a good sensation for me... The Whacky Shack was quite fun and we couldn't stop laughing for a while after riding it. The Pirates Cove, unfortunately, smelled like a vagrant had been staying in it recently. Overall, would go back there in an instant!