TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

Most people may not be familiar with the Inn they bought so I marked up a picture since I stay there all the time. There is a lot of grass in the corner of the motel portion that is unused by the pool area. It would be nice if they where able to fit a restaurant in there for the motel that did breakfast, lunch, dinner and had an outdoor bar by the pool. Also, keep it open to non-hotel guests for extra cash flow with a parking lot for that. They could probably give Sandbar up the street a run for their money if done properly.

Green = The actual motel portion they are keeping as their motel.

Red = The cottages the are tearing down and making a parking lot. This also includes the mobile homes the article mentioned.

Blue = The general area of the wave pool from the photos in the existing lot.

1085729393_waldameerinn.png.4409ad6013d2d1cf355dae5ddb07c7d7.png

Here is the diagram of the total property of the park...

The green area has been is an area that has been in "purchase" discussion for years, from what I've heard. This green area would add about 12.5 acres to the overall footprint which would make the total park around 64.5 acres, over the current 52 acres (once the Inn purchase is closed)

This is very exciting for the park, and the area. The park had started to become very landlocked and this is a great way to add more space, as well as make new avenues for new rides while retaining the feel of the current park. I can't wait to see how all of this turns out.

Edited by CoasterLine

^ The cottages being demolished are actually owned by The Inn At Presque Isle and not owned by individuals. I am not sure if the mobile homes that got an extended six month lease are vacation homes or primary residents that live there. I believe there is one full house on that property also.

In my five years staying there, I got to know the Inn property manager pretty well and we talked all the time while I stayed there. The cottages where rented by folks that have been coming for years and years. There is also one family that would rent them all for a week and fly family in from all over the country for a week long family reunion. Some of the people who did this on a yearly basis will probably be disappointed. As far as the mobile park goes. According to the property manager for the Inn, he said The Inn actually owned the property and the mobiles homes had long leases. They where trying to get them out for years. He even said they tried to make noise early in the morning and such with the hopes they would drop their lease. Nothing they ever did would get the people to leave though. I would be curious on what condition Mr. Nelson got to be able to ignore the current long lease and extend it for just six months.

Of course, most of this is if the property manager was telling the whole story. He seemed pretty reliable though on what he talked about though.

It might be that the lease nullifies or retains a shelf-life on transfer of property ownership. I know a lot of stuff like leases retain grandfathering, but it might have been in their lease that the property was only leased while current ownership retained the property, or some other clause allowing new ownership to either renew the lease, or boot them. Not really too sure, but sounds like that could be the case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Music Express Update:

As some of you may have noticed, Waldameer has completed the assembly of their Bertazzon Music Express. The ride will be operating for a special season passholder only event Saturday December 22, 2012.

A few things about this ride/new area:

Waldameer has it programmed to the highest/fastest ride program possible (13.5 rpm both directions).

I do not lie on the speed as the operator booth has a gauge that shows the speed changes.

The rather high 52" height requirement comes from the manufacturer when the speed is set that fast.

You will experience some pops of airtime (I sure did).

I personally thought most Music Express rides were just ok, but this one is intense!

The LED lighting package is spectacular.

The LED lighting package to be installed on Scrambler right in front of Music Express will be spectacular as well.

Closing out on the LEDs, there will be an LED-lit fountain in the area (LEDs are just plain cool).

If you have been to Waldameer before, you will notice the area between the Train and Dodgem is completely reconfigured.

Here are some videos:

Ride operating:

Lighting package:

P.S.: Initial reports of the retracking performed on Ravine Flyer II indicate a ride as smooth as, if not smoother than, when it opened in 2008.

^Thanks for the update. They still plan on operating it even with the snow?

Is this fast speed going to be just for tomorrow or will it run that way next summer? A 52" height limit does not make it a family friendly ride so I wonder how fast does a Musik Express have to go in order to lower the height limit.

Either way this is a fantastic addition to the park.

Snow is no barrier. I will be personally operating it tomorrow.

Music Express is being marketed as an intense thrill ride for older kids. The maximum speed will be used through the season unless other circumstances arise. There are three programs, so if we went from the third to the second program, we can use a 48" height requirement like Seabreeze uses for their Bertazzon model. Both Morey's Piers and the former Seaside models operate with the 52" requirement like Waldameer will use.

Thanks AJ for the information. I was wondering why this one had a 52" height and that makes sense. I would be curious to see if thy adjust the ride cycle after a season or two if the lines are not as long due to the higher requirement.

Are they planning on keeping the ride assembled all winter or are they winterizing it after today? I nice heavy snow may wreck havoc on the roof.

I am always impressed with Waldameer's consistent additions. The park is not so slowly making itself known. A wave pool in 2014 is sure to be a huge hit, and they are truly marketing this Musik Express as a thrill ride. It costs more 'points' than most rides at the park (and I think all flats). I am most definitely heading back this summer for the third year in a row, hoping Ravine Flyer is back up to opening day condition. I just love this park.

• 2 months later...

Hurricane Sandy was not kind to roller coasters. One of the largest, if not the largest, trees in the park fell onto a newly re-tracked section on Ravine Flyer II. Once some of the crew can return from their project Wisconsin to fix it, Ravine Flyer II should be ready to go for Opening Day on May 11. I didn't share the story with TPR back then as I wasn't sure if the park was ready to share. Sure enough, several months later, Waldameer shared some pictures on their Facebook page of the damage as well as the retracking. The pictures below focus in on the damage from the fallen tree.

Re-tracking pictures in this album:

rf2damage1.thumb.jpg.ea8d3312d8c1c481d8d3d879d8974d23.jpg

Courtesy of Waldameer's Facebook

rf2damage2.jpg.0a643ccde9ff7c13d7b7e37fb4cc82ab.jpg

Courtesy of Waldameer's Facebook

rf2damage3.thumb.jpg.5f943ac7e969864f23e081bba4ba3346.jpg

The New View of RFII's lift hill. Taken on my Droid Friday March 15.

Wow, I bet that would have been a lot worse if the structure was wood and not metal.

On a side note about Waladameer. Screascape reported the other day that the Wave Pool and other waterpark upgrades may be delayed until 2015. They did not have a source stated, so I am not sure how true that is.

^ They sure are lucky with the steel structure, it would literally had a chunk in the track and fixing that won't be easy. But Looking at the pictures (painfully) the damage seems contained to the catwalks and railings, the track seems to be okay but that's how I see it in the pictures.