TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Steel Dragon 2000 is open!

You really have it in for ACErs. I don't have a lot of experience with those guys, as I'm pretty much a n00b to this. Did an ACEr eat your dog or something?

I don't have it "in" for them, in fact most of them are just fine and many of them post to our site. It just seems that the "stereotypical" ACEr seems to have this "I've been here and you haven't and therefore your missing the OMFG BEST RIDE IN THE FREAKING WORLD" attitude.

As if it's some contest or something.

An example is that for years I was told by the ACErs who were lucky enough to survive that it would be difficult to go to Japan because it was "difficult to navigate", "hard to understand", "very VERY expensive", it was horror story after horror story about the place and that if they made it back alive, they were damn lucky!

To be honest, we were very worried about our 2004 Japan trip based on what other people (mostly ACErs) had told us. What we found is that they were 100% WRONG about what they said. It was easy to get around, not as expensive as we were led to believe and the coasters weren't an "OMFG SOOOOOOOO amazing" as we were told.

In fact, we even wrote our complete "Travelers Guide to Japan" right after that trip to let people know it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be, and I honestly believe that because of our 2004 trip, and our "honest" review of Japan, it sparked interest in others to go as well.

Then during the ACE/ECC trip last year, some of the hard core ACErs did a side trip to Kobe Portipialand to ride a bunch of coasters because that park was closing a few months later.

All we heard after that day was emails from several different people telling "OMFG Robb & Elissa - it's too bad you didn't come here during your trip because these were the BEST COASTERS EVAR!!!!!! And oh, gee...you're going to miss them because the park is closing in a month...."

Little did those people know we were actually planning our secret little holiday Japan trip and would get on those coasters, and guess what? They weren't NEARLY as good as the "high and mighty - we've been here and you haven't" attitude that the Stereotypical ACErs had.

Like I said, they aren't all this way, most of them in fact are not. But it's those obnoxious few where they get their stereotype from.

We've been VERY honest about our travels and when we share them with all of you. We don't carry this attitude of "Look where we've been...wouldn't it be nice if you were able to go here too?" In fact, we do just the opposite! We're doing everything we can to make it so as many people as possible CAN get to these places!

Anyway, I've ranted on long enough. But if you listen to the audio in the Kobe Portipialand segment of the Volume 7 DVD, you'll hear Quaker and I on BMRX saying "OMG it's the best ride EVAR!!!!!" We're totally mocking those ACErs who tried to pull one over on us!

--Robb "We always tell you the REAL story, not some fluffed up version of it!" Alvey

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Man that story sounds familiar, but I cant put a finger on where I last heard it! But its true, some ACEr's are very much like that as above described. I myself am an ACEr, but only because some of the events are pretty much too awsome to pass up! You will RARELY see me wearing a park shirt to an event, or see me standing there bragging about my coaster count to people. I mean yeah its great that they throw on these events, but some of the people are pretty jerkish and brag a lot about nothing important at all.

Colin"One guy told me that he is most proud of throwing his shoe off on Volcano"C

^ Yeah, like I said most of the ACErs are just fine. But those are most of the ACErs that you probably wouldn't even KNOW are ACErs. It's that 1 in 10 that have that "attitude", and I'm sure if any of you who have been to an ACE event have encountered this, that give the group as a whole a bad stereotype.

--Robb

Regarding ACE...

I am an ACE member, I joined mainly to attend the Tatsu/X ERT on my Cali Trip and I like the newsletters and magazines... There were however a bucnh of characters at the event who really made the entire organization look bad. There was this (must have been) 50 year old guy whining about how the park is taking too long to open tatsu for ert, and there aren't enough trains, and blah blah blah... several people in the group just kept bitching the whole time about complete nonsense, and then there was of course the "bragging" enthusiasts who were mentioned before. Just a couple of weird characters there...

While I am a member of ACE, I find the ACE humor hilarious because I see first hand where all the jokes come from when I attend these events.

I can, however, see how posting a link to a site that anyone can have access to would make you seem like just an average SD2k enthusiast.

Wow wow that's not true! I searched hours for the link to post it here! You think I would rather wait 10 min. for a video to upload than just posting a link? The point is that I did try to find that site but I just couldn't so I just upload the video I had on my computer.

I don't think I need to prove myself as a SD2K fan, alot of people here don't see me as 'a regular fan' , but that's not the point actually

When it comes to the ACEr comments, I know plenty of ACE memebers who, in fact (as Robb pointed out) are not like that at all. And some people may actually think BMRX was a great coaster (I know a few that did like it honest). However, I've also experienced the 'OMG Japan is hard to get around/coasters are hard to get/bla bla bla". I've read the guide to Japan, and had a trip all planned out for this month.

Well, due to stupid former best friends and other stupid reasons, I had to cancel and am now looking at the TPR trip option for next year. I will get there next year regardless. But Japan can not only be done, but it can be done on a budget. A lot of the "OMG best coaster EVAR" are from people that didn't think others would end up going out there, but I hate to let them know, Japan is one of the last big coaster destinations. Outside of Japan, Europe, and America, most other contries/geographical regions don't have the amount, density, and diversity of coasters that those 3 areas, all of which have seen an increase of trips among enthusiasts over the last couple of years, has.

I know plenty of normal ACErs (the true 'typical ACErs'), but its the idiot few that have kept me from ever joining. I don't need an affiliation to any club I have to pay to get in. And I have a feeling that in another 2 years, after a few more trips (like the TPR trips) to Europe and Asia come and go, that you will see some differences in Mitch's poll. Highly rated 'average' coasters that are in countries once thought to be a rarity in the collection of Coaster Traveler Nerds will find their correct place, and some coasters that have been overlooked for far too long due to low ridership will end up raising to the top.

While I am a member of ACE, I find the ACE humor hilarious because I see first hand where all the jokes come from when I attend these events.

I'm an ACEr as well.

I agree. I've heard from several people that they've been to events and had people act like coaster snobs to them. Oh, well you haven't been on 400 coasters?!? Well don't even talk to me. I've been on every Python Pit between here and timbukto!!!

Overall my experience has been a good one. Maybe Southern ACEers are just better.

I go to the Carowinds event every year and it's like a big family reunion. No drama, no attitudes, just people that love coasters (and food).

I've been to an event at Dollywood and one at SFOG, both were fine. Not really that many snobs in the bunches.

I'm not an ACER, nor ever care to be, but I think BMRX is the shit. I don't see how you couldn't really like it.

Curious....

...and I've ridden SD2K. Good, good ride. Definitely top 10 material. Great air on the bunnies, and mad laterals on the turnaround.

^ It was the midcourse that really killed it for me. I mean, I really did like it a LOT, I just didn't think it was the end-all be-all of Schwarzkopf rides. I personally enjoyed Lisebergbanana, Bullet, and Shock Wave more.

But that's just one mans opinion (and hardly a man when I'm in my Tinker Bell costume!)

--Robb

That's too bad regarding the mid. I didn't have any issues on my few rides on it, but I last rode it in 1998, and I'd assume that things change, eh?

Oh well... I still would love to see HW pick it up. I think it'd make a smashing addition to the park, if they'd bring it over. Hell, it's already themed!