TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Floorless Coasters....Great or Hype?

Are Floorless Coasters Great or Just Hype?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Are Floorless Coasters Great or Just Hype?

• Great
    • Just Hype

Ill agree with the majority here and say that floorless trains don't change much. The coasters would still be very good even if they only ran with regular trains. To me the whole thing of the track whizzing below your feet is about as exciting as watching road lines whiz by out of a car window. At the end of the day you spend your ride looking straight ahead, not at what is going on below your feet.

However, I think the advantage of floorless coasters is selling the ride...it's another unique aspect you can advertise to the GP, and even if the gimmick doesn't amount to much in the end, its going to get them through the gate. The beauty of it all is that after riding, the coaster itself will be enough to impress them, so the somewhat overhyped nature of the floorless aspect then goes quietly unnoticed.

Put it this way, if I were a park operator, and was putting in a multi looper I'd still go for the floorless trains ahead of the normal ones, not for ride experience, but purely for marketing reasons.

On the other hand, floorless dive machine trains do make a big improvement, especially for riders on the edge seats who have nothing around them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^But according to the poll the majority says they think they're "great." And I understand your marketing aspect, but leaving that out of the picture, not having a floor or "car" that you're sitting in really helps you feel the elements. I'm not saying that's how it is for everyone, that's just how it is for me when I ride.

I disagree that the floorless concept only works in the front.

In my opinion on floorless coasters, view or not, the back seat is my favorite place to ride. But the front is also awesome, especially on Scream, from top of the lift to the break run, its one of the better floorless coasters I've been on.

The only floorless coaster I've been on is Griffon (if you even can consider that "floorless"), and the floorless thing didn't really make that big of a difference for me, no matter where I sat. I didn't really notice there was no floor as I was too busy being distracted by other things. That being said however, I never got the chance to ride Sheikra when it still had a floor, so I don't know how the two versions compare to one another.

I find that floorless feels smoother and less painful. Maybe it has something to do with the body geometry of not having your feet on the floor.

Maybe it's just that Medusa is a very well designed coaster?

I have only been on Scream, and while I do think the whole floorless thing is a bit of a gimmick, it does works really well at the front like most have said. I didn't notice it so much at the back, however I love the design as its SO comfortable. I'm 6'4 and do get annoyed trying to squeeze into certain sit down trains. A B&M invert is by far the most comfortable of the lot, and this is the next best thing.

It's also a great way of selling the ride to the GP. The more visitors the better.

I can't completely write this off as a gimmick, although I honestly wanted to. I had never ridden a floorless front row until Medusa (east), and I rode and rerode it for various perspectives. (Godbless ElToroExtreme for his patience.) As has already been said...its all about the front. Just an incredible feeling when you can anticipate and FLOW with the turns.

C. "mistress of interpretive Nitro dance" Steffensen

I find that floorless feels smoother and less painful. Maybe it has something to do with the body geometry of not having your feet on the floor.

Painful? Since when are B&M sit down loopers painful?

Maybe if you're comparing a B&M floorless to an Arrow looper that might make sense, but otherwise I'm missing something.

I don't think I've been on a B&M regular coaster. But I have been on plenty of Vekomas and Arrows and a few Suspended coasters including Kong and Silver Bullet. Floorless compares favorably to Suspended, and don't just see the back of the seat in front of you when you're not in the front row.

1791448009_Spring2008includingBayVacation282small.jpg.7d8c72fde66a9e15baabf1f44ab72a85.jpg

I did make a special effort to be in the front row for this picture. I'm Flying!