TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Floorless Coasters....Great or Hype?

Are Floorless Coasters Great or Just Hype?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Are Floorless Coasters Great or Just Hype?

• Great
    • Just Hype

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't do much for me, not even in the front, because with the OTSRs you know you're not going anywhere. If you want thrill factor, try something like Nitro with no sides on the train and a weird lap restraint.

Compared to a conventional sit down coaster design like Hulk, I think its an improvement on feeling more out and free during the ride. And the fact you can see the track below you adds to it for me. To me, Scream is a pretty fun ride.

Kraken is where I became a floorless fan! I've never totally forgotten that experience. Problem is...there's so few out there! Mainly, because as already mentioned they don't offer anything innovative beyond the front seat. But I pretty much always ride front seat anyway, so it doesn't bother me so much.

Here's the RCDB list of floorless coasters just for the heck of it:

http://rcdb.com/ir.htm?cls=277&type=1&status=9&design=6&category=111

It is a great addition, but the car type means absolutely nothing, the layout is what counts. Sure, no floorless coaster is my #1, but if the layout was better, they could be, like if they had multiple 5.2G moments or higher.

Yeah, but then what about the outside seats on Griffon and Sheikra? You aren't directly above the track. I can see why X (and similar coasters, such as Kirnu) wouldn't be, because the seats rotate, but Furius Baco is the same concept as Griffon, but with no seats in the middle. I don't know. I'm not saying you are wrong, just something I've wondered, where should the line be drawn when using the term "floorless?"

I really like the floorless idea. Sure, the front is definitely the best, but I think if you sit on an outside seat, the feeling is almost the same. Perhaps people expect too much, but I think the excitement factor is enhanced so much more with floorless coasters, because it feels like you are so high up the track!

It's been a few years, but last time I rode it I remember it being glassy smooth. What is Six Flags doing to my baby .

Yeah, a few years ago it was really smooth! Now it's bumpy as hell! Still an awesome ride though!

Floorless coasters are awesome! My favorite is Scream @ SFMM. I know a lot of people think its not a good ride or its overrated but I love it and its one of my favorite rides @ SFMM. You definitely need front row or at least an outside seat to fully appreciate the experience.

I love the floorless coasters. I like how the cars provide more room for you to move around. Unlike the sitdown trains like Led Zeppelin or Kumba which seem to cramp you into the seat the floorless provide a lot more freedom. While some complain about them being a gimik or only good in the front seat which they are cool they just have a more open feeling while in the seat. I also like the effect of being in the front seat where it looks like your ankles are going to be sucked under the train or rubbed along the crossties.

I prefer a floorless train to a regular enclosed train in a looper, though front row is the only row I even bother riding floorless coasters these days because impact of the floorless effect seems largely lost in any other row. So definitely not hype but also not the be all and end all of coasters either. Though I'd I'd rather tuck my toes into the train of a Ride Of Steel, El Toro, or Maverick any day.

I've only been on Scream, Medusa (east), Dark Knight (SFNE), & Kraken so I don't have much to base my opinion on. Griffon (if it counts as a floorless) & Dominator may greatly elevate my opinion of floorless coasters this year.

I'm surprised B & M hasn't built a floorless hyper, the trains are already open enough, they might as well go all the way.

I have only ridden Kraken, but I have to say it was pretty scary to me. I felt like my feet were going to hit the track or something.

It was a very scary feeling... even better than inverted.... except for Dueling Dragons as it is pretty darn scary....

I disagree that the floorless concept only works in the front. The fact that you have nothing under your feet is still fun disorientation and you don't get the full force in your feet the way you do on inverts. I think a six or eight-across floorless built on a narrow track would be awsome- nothing underneath you and nothing on top.

Floorless coasters are OK, but nothing spectacular. For some reason I really enjoyed Medusa SFGAdv much more than Scream. Maybe I just got lucky with a few really great cycles, but the ride just seemed flawless when I rode it, especially in the dive loop.

Yeah, but then what about the outside seats on Griffon and Sheikra? You aren't directly above the track. I can see why X (and similar coasters, such as Kirnu) wouldn't be, because the seats rotate, but Furius Baco is the same concept as Griffon, but with no seats in the middle. I don't know. I'm not saying you are wrong, just something I've wondered, where should the line be drawn when using the term "floorless?"

With the Dive Machines, the seats are above the track. Even if they extend beyond the width of the track, they are elevated above it. Furius has the seats beside it, at the same elevation. That's the difference I see between them. Dive Machines still have the large seating platforms that stretch across above the tracks, whereas Furius' seats are skewered out to the side.

Not saying I'm right by any means, as Furius still technically has no floor, but just an observation as to a potential difference.

To me the entire concept of a Floorless coaster is just a nice little perk on the standard sit down design. With that said, I like sit down loopers, therefore losing the floor adds that much more to the ride.

I think inverts however give much more of a thrill then do the floorless coasters, however I enjoy both.

I disagree that the floorless concept only works in the front. The fact that you have nothing under your feet is still fun disorientation and you don't get the full force in your feet the way you do on inverts. I think a six or eight-across floorless built on a narrow track would be awsome- nothing underneath you and nothing on top.

I too agree with this. Maybe I notice it more, being of larger size (6' 3" - 225lbs.) When I hit an inversion my legs are out and its definitely a different sensation than having your legs and feet crammed in a car. I do enjoy the extra room in the floorless design. I'd love to see some high speed floorless coasters, I mean, if its possible. *hint hint*