TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Fair buys PARAMOUNT PARKS!

Well I bid adieu to this topic. I can no longer speculate with everybody as it drives me to the utter brink of insanity. I will take whatever news with a grain of salt, and unless it comes from cedar fair itself, any mention of park additions or changes next season. I encourage everyone else to do the same, and don't get excited or discouraged by this news yet, as the deal is only in its infancy. Until more details become clear, have fun discussing the hyper at bonfonte gardens and the sale of great america to build a shopping mall (to pay off cedar fair's debt of course)

-James "just kidding, so don't hate" Dillaman

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can't really say... I mean, my band program just went to PGA this weekend for the annual Heritage Music Festival and most of them came away saying the park was shit which I really didn't understand... PGA is already on par with Knott's, and now they'll just look the same.

I don't remember much from my CP visit about five years ago though I remember having a ton of fun and not being able to do enough since it was so crowded. Haha.

Knott's, however, only got me to get a season pass for one year. Why? Because it's too far for a halfday park... Heh... Now, hmm, if the KBF pass included PGA and Bonfante and KBF, that'd be a threat to the SFMM pass that includes SFMW... Though I don't know how much of the general public utilizes the multiple park, cross country deal.

What's with all the Coke enthusiasts on this site? I'm practically doing cartwheels around the house right now for the prospect of seeing Pepsi at all these parks.

Theme Park Review is latin for "Has Tastebuds" ....

Yes. Theme Park Review is certainly a "Coke Website."

Pepsi people are not welcome here.

Just kidding....

or am I? Mwhahahahahahaha!!!

--Robb "I'll never complain if it's free!" Alvey

ok...maybe I'll complain a little.......like make a few sarcastic remarks...but that's it!

And here I thought I had this great scoop..having heard it on the news this morning.... and now, here I am, 11 pages into the topic...............

Since PKI is our home park and also my husband's part time employment, I have to say that this decision will affect us in some way, but whether it's positive or negative, time will tell.

I disagree with Robb's first post, in that my experiences (limited to Cedar Point, I will be honest) with Cedar Fair have exceeded those of PKI. It's been a few years since we were last there, but I was very impressed with the food, attractions, queue lines...everything! PKI has really gone downhill in so many areas, and it's hard when it's your home park and it's been someplace that is so much a part of your life. The cost and quality of food, lack of choices, lack of exciting new attractions.... I am ready for a change.

I am anxious to see what it will all mean.....

Shari

"Have confidence in us," said Dick Kinzel, president, chairman and chief executive officer of Cedar Fair, during a live conference call. "Have patience. It's going to take some time. We have been able to increase the distribution for 19 straight years. We have their best interest at heart."

This man has been with the company since 1972, I'd trust his judgemet. All of the Paramount parks are well-established and on the right track. While this can be compared to Premier/Six FLags, you have to take into consideration that the parks they bought weren't as profitable/successful as the Paramount parks are right now. I don't see any reason they should fail, especially when two of the Paramount parks already draw more visitors than Cedar Point.

Cedar Fair just spent more than $1b, I think the least of their worries is what the guests should drink, which parks should get what, and which coasters need to be retracked.

Also, isn't there a Paramount park planned for Asia? I could've sworn I saw artwork for it on some coaster site.

And here I thought I had this great scoop..having heard it on the news this morning.... and now, here I am, 11 pages into the topic...............

Since PKI is our home park and also my husband's part time employment, I have to say that this decision will affect us in some way, but whether it's positive or negative, time will tell.

I disagree with Robb's first post, in that my experiences (limited to Cedar Point, I will be honest) with Cedar Fair have exceeded those of PKI. It's been a few years since we were last there, but I was very impressed with the food, attractions, queue lines...everything! PKI has really gone downhill in so many areas, and it's hard when it's your home park and it's been someplace that is so much a part of your life. The cost and quality of food, lack of choices, lack of exciting new attractions.... I am ready for a change.

I am anxious to see what it will all mean.....

Shari

I concur completely. I'm ready to see how cedar fair will run this park, a love of mine for years, home of my first coaster (the Beast), and a park I enjoyed working at for a season and a half (at the end of this the direction the park was going was sad). I will pay for a pass next year with pleasure, and be able to go back to my "home" park of Kings Island, and who knows, maybe say with pride that it is my home park once again.

-James

I don't see this as drastic of a purchase as Premier's purchase of Six Flags. There are just not as many parks involved in this deal.

Significant? Of course! Just not that drastic.

It was surprising, as I didn't think CF was going to actually buy the whole chain.

Pepsi people are not welcome here.

Die!

With that said ... I think a lot of people are over analyzing the situation and expecting way too much. Like it or not, this is nothing like the Premier/Six Flags feeding frenzy. CF is purchasing solid and independently profitable parks. Anyone who has been to Canada's Wonderland can see the potential to make some serious money. This was an opportunity that CF could just not pass up.

Kinzel said that he would honor all new ride contracts for 2007. You know why? Because there aren't any. Paramount has been planning this move for a LONG time and companies are a lot easier to sell when they don't have a boatload of future contracts in the works.

Here are my 8 SPECULATIONS regarding the purchase.

1) No new rides (at least over the $12mil mark) for 2007 at any of the Paramount Parks.

2) The Paramount Theme will be gone after this year. I don't even want to begin to imagine how much that 10 year option would be. My guess is that it would probably be more than they paid for the parks.

3) Season Passes will be good at all parks. The only exceptions will be in Ohio and Northern California where a add-on may be required.

4) Rides will be renamed. Many will take on the generic CF titles (Dominator, Steel Venom, Head Spin, etc)

5) Switch to Pepsi (Obvious)

6) CF will use a large portion of the undeveloped land surrounding that parks (except Carowinds) to construct value and moderate lodging.

7) Son of Beast will be gone in about 5 years.

8) Carowinds will be the "red-headed stepchild" of the family. Sorry guys.

8) Carowinds will be the "red-headed stepchild" of the family. Sorry guys.

Really?

Even with all the recent moves?

Nah, PGA will stay the park on the losing end.

Can they just call it Great America? Or will that infringe on the other half of that old pair?

Really?

Even with all the recent moves?

I think that the recent moves only solidify this position. They are trying to bring people in to the park and keep them interested without breaking the bank. This years additions are another example.

Also, from my understanding, this park has the least amount of undeveloped space and would not be able to support the hotels like some of the others.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Second: Bear, Stearns and Foster (If I read the press release correctly) will be arranging the 2 Billion dollars worth of extended financing for the purchase. If Cedar Fair LP is buying 1.24 Bn worth of park, and has 2.0 Bn worth of financing, that would leave 760 Mn left over.

The remainder is going to be used to pay off some other things, according to the conference call yesterday. Don't expect most (if not any) of that money to be spent on expansions.

Is Bonfonte going to Cedar Fair too?

My God, have you not read this thread? I think two or three people have said that Bonfante Gardens is part of the deal.

I thought that Bonfante was just managed by Paramount, but not actually owned by them. So, the management contract was part of the deal? That's odd, but I guess it makes sense if the owners still didn't want to manage the park. That, in itself, may have been a tricky part of the negotiations.

I don't see the comparison to Premiere/Six Flags, just because that was a lot of parks (North America and Europe), and the parks in the deals were all built up by adding multiple coasters, flats, etc. Compare that with the Paramount parks, which are nicely maintained and updated. All parks have at least one or two "headline" coasters. Not to mention they all have water areas. CF is making a great deal here.

I do not believe that the parks will change course much in the future. The exception being King's Dominion, only because it's in direct competition with Busch Gardens Europe, Great America with Six Flags Marine World, and Carowinds with Dollywood. That could get a little sticky in the future, as it's the only real new direct competition for the parks. So it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Only time will tell!

I think that will be the best way to describe this transaction. I guess I'm one of the very few who doesn't like this move, but I hope management doesn't destroy any of the current parks in place to the point to which they will struggle to make a profit. I can/do see PKI perhaps adding a series of hotel(s) around the east of the park.

*One more note. NO PARKING LOT COASTERS! lol

^I heard 2007

This is great news, and a great move for CF. Hopefully they will learn to balance family rides with thrill rides since Viacom couldn't seem to do that. Hopefully the parks Paramount forgot about(mainly PGA) will get some much needed care.