TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Is Boss Good Or Bad?

Okay, I have been wondering this for a while; is Boss a good ride or a bad one? I have heard that some people feel like this after riding and I have heard that some people look like this . I would like to know how you feel since I will be going soon to St. Loius and would like to know what to expect!

boss.jpg.a22ef1b9bdf8db8671465b8fc6c2934d.jpg

Thrill ride or a trip to the chiropractor's?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in St.Louis and I get a pass to SFSTL every year so I've been riding the Boss every year since 2000 when it first opened. Well, in my opinion, Boss is not that rough. At least not as much as some people make it out to be. It's very fast, fun, and wild. Alot of people don't know this but if you just sit forward and get your back off of the back of thevseat, thenyou'll be fine. Because usually if you just sit there and your back is on the back of the seat, the vibrations after the 1st drop will rattle you around but that's the fun part anyways.

I hope you have a good time at the park! Try out Superman also which just opened up 2 days ago. If you have a good eye and you get the right seat, you can see downtown STL and the Arch.

I personally enjoy The Boss a lot. It's had work done to it over the past couple seasons to really improve the ride experience, and for this season I noticed that there was some retracking done after the double-down first drop (which can get intense sometimes).

It isn't a ride you can just sit there and enjoy, you sort of have to 'ride' it. If you want the smoothest possible ride, sit towards the front. The back is a little more rough, but it provides some insane ejector air off the first drop and the huge drop off the mid course brake run.

The double down drop was an ingenious idea. That whole first stretch - drop, straight section, another drop (with no incline before it - just another drop), and then the small ejector airtime hill before you head up into the first turn around is just all sorts of awesome.

The ending helix is a force to be reckoned with, and in my opinion is the best ending this ride could ever want to have - combine that helix with the pop of air immediately exiting it - awesome.

Overall, if you're expecting a silky smooth wooden rollercoaster, you'll be disappointed (go ride Screaming Eagle). It is rough for some people, but not everybody has the same definition of 'rough.'

I've also been riding it every year since 2000, prob. not this year though. I thought the ride was ok...yes, it is rough. I came off having a back ache and a head ache. I ride on it at least once during a visit just to say i've ridden it, but brace yourself after the double first drop or w/e, when it does that little turn to go back up it feels like they barely even banked it and it HURTS!!!

Boss SUCKS I hated it so much. It looked so cool and I couldnt wait to ride it.. But it was such a big let down to me... Very rough.. Very bad... has some real slow parts.. And it has G-Trains.

You should try riding again. I rode it last year and I really enjoyed it. Why does everyone hate G-Trains?

I can tell you that G-trains are just terrible. I have heard that Voyage is very smooth. Name change, company buyout, whatever it is, it is the same manufacturer as Cheetah at Wild Adventures. Cheetah is very rough and has G-trains. I think the trains cause all of the problems, leading me to assume that The Boss is rough.

^Hmm perhaps I am confused. Voyage is a Gravity Group creation that uses PTC's, Cheetah and Boss are made by CCI and use G-Trains. I don't understand the 'connection'. The only similarity I can see is that the main designers from CCI went on to form GG, still a slightly different company. A few CCI's with PTC's are rough too. Its not JUST the trains, its a combination of the track, trains, maintenance, design and numerous other factors.

I've ridden 4 CCI's with G-Trains (Villain, Hurricane, Twisted Twins - Stella, and Boss) and NONE were too rough to be enjoyable. Though it does seem as if the first row in each car is MUCH smoother than than the row behind it. Didn't stop me from riding Villain 14 times in one day, Hurricane 13 times in one day, and Twisted Twins about 4 times in about 30 minutes. I probably would have ridden the Boss a ton too, but we only had about 4 hours in the park, and it was soooo crowded. So just one ride on that.

But from my ONE ride on Boss, in the front row of the last car, June, 11 2005, I can say that is was probably the most forgettable rides I've ever had on any coaster. It wasn't rough, and it wasn't smooth. There was not much airtime, and not any 'good' laterals. I didn't like it and I didn't hate it. It was a solid 'MEH.' I wouldn't mind giving it another try, as it is a beautiful coaster and I do really WANT to like it, but that would actually require stepping foot in Six Flags St. Louis again.. but that is a story for another day.

I rode it now 3 years ago and I still maintain it is a decent ride, with one of the best wooden coaster layouts in existence. On top of that it has a great setting, but typical six flags upkeep and horrible trains really hurt the overall experience. It still isn't bad but not as great as it should be....

^Largely what he said.

I rode it a couple times the year Richard Rodriguez did his marathon on it. (Was that 2000?) I liked it, but I did feel it was a little rougher than it needed to be. I figure it was the trains. Some PTC's or MAYBE Millenium Flyers would have been a better choice. (My vote is for PTC's.)

I have heard that it hasn't aged well, but the recent retracking has offset some of that.

I'd say, go, ride it, but don't expect the greatest coaster in the world, and form your own opinion!

I liked The Boss, but it CAN be rough depending on how you sit. Best advice I can give is to sit forward from the seat a bit if you can, sit in the middle and on the left side of the train. Rear of the train 'rattles' a good deal more.

I've been riding since opening year.

The first time I rode I think I rode second from the front and HATED the ride.

Rode in the last car (last two seats) and LOVED the ride. It's built like a wooden should be...its semi rough, it shakes, it roars, it's fast....you are NOT going to sit back and simply enjoy your time, you have to ride it like a bucking bull which is a huge reason why I like the ride. Great ride.

I prob won't get the chance to ride "The Boss" as I live in the UK, it looks an amazing layout esp with the Double Down.

How much does it have in the back seats..?

The roughest Woodie I have been on is SOB in 2000, made my hands go numb, such as shame as it could of been a great coaster if it was designed right.

Kings Island should of made/put it by it's Dad (The Beast) and have them side by side for the lift hills, make the SOB into a Out n Back/twister with a loop or 2.

Boss SUCKS I hated it so much. It looked so cool and I couldnt wait to ride it.. But it was such a big let down to me... Very rough.. Very bad... has some real slow parts.. And it has G-Trains.

We talking about the same Boss? some real slow parts? bout the only slow part on that ride, is right befor the big drop on the break run.. Yes its true, The Boss IS a rough ride, but that depends on where you sit, I find that sitting in the middle, gets you 1. some air, 2 less tossing around, pure fun!!

The Boss is one of the BEST investments our park has had since the Screamin Eagle was built back in 76, and in my opinion, The Boss, lives up to it's name in a BIG way!

Ride it again and see what I mean..