TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Rides Scares the Crud Out Of You?

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am weird about the giant frisbees. I will ride them and do on a regular basis but I'm always uncomfortable. When dilerium first opened it was smooth as can be now I feel little jerks and I don't like it. Oo and I'm terrified of ferris wheels lol. Ill ride anything but its those I don't like.

I finally worked up the courage to ride the Knoebels haunted mansion a couple of weeks ago. I'd seen videos of the ride, but even then, it doesn't prepare you for the experience. It scared the living hell out of me. I almost went hoarse from screaming.

• 3 months later...
Who woulda thought a 70-foot drop tower would freak me out over the world's tallest drop tower? Yup, this is true! I rode a Larson/ARM drop tower at the beginning of the month and found it to be quite crazy actually. Other than looking at the shadow, you can not tell when you're at the top of the tower as the cabin has an, overhang obstructing your view. As soon as the cabin gets to the top it immediately drops! Well, it more or less actually feels like it shoots you down as I had more ejector airtime on this while I just had that tingly floaty airtime on the Intamin-based towers.

I realize these towers have been talked about quite a bit (I'd still love an explanation about what technology-wise makes them so much better than other drop towers), but it's worth repeating, these rides are amazing. My first ride on the one at Knoebels, I decided I wanted to "feel the drop" as much as possible, so I stretched my arms out in front of my as far as they'd go, took deep breaths and completely relaxed my body, and then that drop HIT, and suddenly my butt was nowhere near the seat, and get this... my knees were suddenly in front of my face. I was practically in a fetal position just from the force of the acceleration. I didn't even notice the restraints on my shoulders, it felt like nothing was touching me at all, nothing but air rushing past me as we were dragged down. Like no other ride I've ever experienced.

Secretly, goliath's sfmm restraint system makes me uncomfortable as they're so bare. With that said, i wish there was more air time past the first half of the ride. It would make it that much more uncomfortably fun to ride.

The X-Coaster at Magic Springs definitely scared me a bit but nothing compares to Hades 360 failing the restraint check in the station and then the maintenance guy coming with a ratchet and tightening it up again before leaving the station.

For me, its the flat ride Evolution that scares the crud out of me. Now it could very well be that the only TWO times I've rode it was at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo carnival but still. I also swear this last year I rode it, the ride op held us up for longer.

evolution.jpg.b12a3095c656b26a304c44a710b4011f.jpg

Blackpool's Wild Mouse is an amazing ride and love riding it a lot but boy can it be nervewracking at times. Especially the final two turns!

Is ^ like Excaliber 2 at Camelot (or what was Camelot)? If so, they are scary rides too!

I can agree with the sentiments of drop towers too. I always ride them but they are 1 of the ride types that makes me legitimately nervous on the way up to the top!

The old steel Wild Mice scare me big time. You really do feel like you're going to fall off the side. Skycoasters scare me too, but I still love them. Top Thrill Dragster can get me scared sometimes as well.

The only type of ride that scares me so much that I won't ride them are haunted houses with live actors. I've done two of them, and that's two more than enough to last me a lifetime. I was drug through the one at Six Flags Mexico during the TPR trip, and I hated every second of it.

Very few rides scare me anymore, but drop towers still instill a little bit of fear in me.

That being said, there is only one coaster I've ridden that I would describe as scary. A back seat ride in the NADs on the Conneaut Lake Blue Streak, with arms in the air, it truly a scary experience, yet I loved every second of it.

Riding Greezed Lightnin' @ SFKK one time we were running the loop on the return trip and I came up out of my seat and the lap bar hit me about four inches above the knees. I felt like I was going to fall out!...I'm pretty sure soiled myself a little!

I've said it before, but it bares repeating. X - Scream at the top of the stratosphere in vegas is by far the most terrifying thing I've ever done. Flying off the edge of the tower and being in the front going past the end of the track makes you feel like the ride has broke and you're about to plummet 1,000 ft to your death. Every single time it went out over the edge I seriously felt like I was about to die. Never. Never again.

The old wooden Wild Mouse coasters could be pretty frightening--particularly the one at Blackpool (although I thought the one they used to run at Santa Cruz was a little scarier).

I've never been on a wooden Wild Mouse. I picked a normal Wild Mouse as one of the rides that scare the crap out of me, but I'm sure a wooden version would be much worse!

A tie between ARM towers and anything Vekoma....

On a side note, the lift hill on Tatsu is still to this day the scariest lift hill of all time in my book. I just hate the idea of it stopping and being stuck hundreds of feet in the air with the only thing preventing me from meeting the pavement in the restraint. And all of that is even scarier when you take into consideration that the ride is at Six

Flags...