TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Rides Scares the Crud Out Of You?

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily the Giant Drop @ Dreamworld, the only ride I've been on that gets me genuinely scared every time I do it.

To yet again try to give you guys some perspective, we're talking a free feall drop ride that's only 10m shorter than Top Thrill Dragster.

It takes almost 90 agonising seconds to get to the top and hang around waiting to drop, the last 2m or so of which is done at such a pace that you don't even feel like you're moving.

You can see the ocean about 30km away from top - it's so high as you go up you can't believe that something can go up that high. Add to the fun the fact that the earth-shaking tower of terror (Superman clone from SFMM) roars up the other side of the tower and you have a pretty terrifying experience as the whole structure shakes.

Oh, and this is all just before you drop! The actual drop is like something out of a cartoon, where you pretty much yell, and then have time to take another breath, and then yell some more.

Australia has some pretty pissweak rides, but this one makes up for a lot of them!

Photo here (I hope Richo from RC doesn't mind too much!)

006.thumb.jpg.31d70dd90a0833c3aed45c108685a54f.jpg

Scary stuff...

Anything at a traveling fair. I went to one recently, and the Zipper there looked like it was ready to fall apart into a heap of scrap metal. Another thing that scares me sh*tless are Huss Frisbees, such as MaXair. Those things are so scary! I also hate drop rides. I don't know why, but I just hate them. I can stomach them, but I HATE drop rides!

*shudder*

I know that this will sound weird to a lot of you but the only ride I have come across that I haven't been able to get on is Wipeout at Dreamworld Oz

Everytime I go to Dreamworld (and I have been many times over the years) I try to convince myself I will do it. However, I get to the park and just can't bring myself to get on the damn thing. The sad thing is I just know I will love it. There is just something about it that freaks me.

I'm heading to Dreamworld again in July and I am determined to get on it. I have been a coaster and ride junky for many years and have ridden some very dodgy looking fairground rides. I love that feeling of getting off rides all white and shaky, it's whole reason to go them .... this isn't going to beat me!!!

Wipeout.jpg.bc6145df2ad22cc1e73fad02672bc87d.jpg

The beast itself ... pic from roller-coaster.com.au

Rides with amazing air time and minimal lap bar coverage. Now I love it and ride it over and over but the bit of fear is what makes it so amazing!

Examples

Huss Troikas

Swinging Ships (Non Inverting)

swingingship.JPG.3bae53bff4ca8e2b2f514feedf786324.JPG

Copyright EPKI

troika8.jpg.5f9f74890f2673ef697a619d636e90fb.jpg

Copyright EPKI

troika7.jpg.dbeba9a0f6c4a921e6a15b75fc88ad34.jpg

Copyright EPKI

Years ago when I was in the Navy, my ship went to the Portland Rose Festival (maybe 1994 or 95), and I went on this thing that was then called the High Roller (obviously nothing like the Stratosphere Vegas ride). I wish I could find a pic. Maybe if this sounds familiar to someone they can help...?

Anyway, it was owned by Funtastic Traveling Shows of Portland, and it was a little like an enclosed coaster trainy thing on a shorter rectangular version of a Ring of Fire track. It moved forward around the track, and the track itself rolled a full 360 degrees right and left at the same time.

The ride itself (forces, experiece, etc) was awesome, but the ride op played a prank on us by asking us to hold a spare cotter pin, identical to the one used to lock our door. He did it in such a way that it seemed like we were holding THE cotter pin that was SUPPOSED to lock our door. I was pretty horrified at the whole thing, but in hindsight it was pretty funny.

I was gonna say Superman Krypton Coaster so far. My first floorless coaster. It looked pretty tame compared to Medusa but don't let it fool U. It was FAST & furious! It had so many flippy-doos I didn't know which end was up. Seemed like we were always flipping one way or another. I really didn't like the 'SuperLoop' type rides either but since we were "fenced in" above our heads it wasn't so bad but those rides that have inverted seats that swing bk & forth til finally they swing over around & around. THEY scare me. I didn't like the fact that the restraints didn't clamp down on me so I would slide forward in my seat when the thing would go backwards. I don't like any steel coaster with only lap bars (xceptions are wild mouse types that don't really do anything). I realize the g-forces will hold me in but my fear of heights tells me "I just don't know about this after all" when climbing that lift hill. I dunno if I can ride the Mega coasters they all have lap bars. I missed out on Apollo's Chariot coz of those crazy looking restraints. I'm sure they wk just fine but I dunno.....how tight are they really? I became afraid of height due to those swings that used to be in most parks. The REALLY REALLY REALLY TALL SWINGS. Not the one's like at the fair that looks like a spinning top but the ones that look like 100ft tall. I wudda been ok if I hadn't looked over & saw we were flying above the tree tops plus the ride was on a hill side which didn't help. I've been trying to overcome my fear by keep riding coaster. I finally made progress, I can now keep my eyes open 99% of the time.

Oh I forgot my #1 most scary ride of all time? The Big Shot on the Stratosphere Tower. I don't think it wudda been AS bad if the harness had handles to hold onto. We came down so that our behinds came off the seats, add that to a harness w/no handles that don't even latch down all the way & THAT's freakin' scary! I had NOTHING to hold onto! I see that they've added 2 new rides since then. I can't believe ppl actually ride those things! (I rode the coaster up there too but wasn't nothing bad for me ).

My "OMFG/Holy Crap!" Rides Are:

1) Summit Plummet... holy god. Just standing at the top of that 200 foot tower, watching people go down is scary. Trying to push yourself to get going is worse though. That ride is just crazy. Slush Gusher (the one with the three humps) is pretty scary also, because after the third dip, you hardly touch the slide until the end.

2) Deja Vu...

3) Top Thrill Dragster... just sitting there for the launch.

4) Top Spins/Frisbees with good programs. In a good way. Top Spins with a crapload of spins are awesome, as are the frisbees that have a "super spin cycle on crack."

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to say those weird loop rides that are at fairs. every time I go on them, I always feel like I am going to be stuck upside down forever. I do prefer the Ranger/SkyFlyer/Terminator/Kamikaze type rides for those cannot get stuck.

Oh God, I second that!!!

I absolutely ADORE those rides!

I've never been really scared on a ride...

Haha, when I was six, Jaguar scared the crap outta me! But honestly, the only coaster I've really been scared on is Xcelerator. Just sitting there, waiting for the launch is the wierdest and freakin scariest moment ever. I love riding it though. It's awesome!

---Brent

X scared me a bit before I got on, but aside from that I haven't really been afraid of anything, been on X-Scream three times, Insanity twice, and would love to go on a Starflyer or a SCAD tower when I can go somewhere that has one.

Deja Vu at SFMM, i refuse to go on that ride. i will not even look at it, it is just not my cup of tea.

Rip tide at Knotts, they have to drag me on it. I will run screaming off the other side. The last time my sister in law and my best friend had to drag me into my seat and make sure I stayed, I scremed a lot, and some weird guy was taking a video of me freaking out, he showed it to me when i got off, weirdo.

There is not a lot of rides that I won't go on. The only reason I won't go on some rides is either because they hurt me (Blue niagra at Wet n Wild) or because they make me dizzy (tilt-a-whirl.) Other than those two rides, there is nothing I wouldn't try at least once (except for some of those rides at Fantazy Land )

BTW, I just rode the Star Flyer at Magical Midway a few days ago and it wasn't that bad at all. I guess if you were scared of heights then you would definately want to pass on it, though.

Speaking of Magical Midway, they also had an S&S Space Shot. These rides do freak me out a little(sitting there, waiting for the launch) but the one at Magical Midway was not that intense (compared with Dr. Doom just down the road.)

TITAN Six Flags Over Texas OMG INSANE RIDE! I get tunnel vision at the very end of the helix if I ride in back....but I went three times anyway.

Probably the most tense I've felt was the first time I rode Xcelerator. I wasn't really into coasters before that, that was my 'break on through' ride. Sitting there, waiting to be launched, after watching ppl go on it all day, I could literally feel my heard beating sitting there. Wow.