TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Rides Scares the Crud Out Of You?

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the times I rode them.

When I rode my first ever inverting coaster - Nemesis Inferno - THAT was easily the scariest ride I'd been on, or the most scared I'd been, but naturally it's not as scary anymore.

Oh, I remember that. Mine was Space Mountain Mission 2 (DlP) and I was pretty intimidated. I also remember thinking the queue looked scary as you could hear the ride moving and some people screaming. But yeah, now I realise how crappy it is.

I was quite scared of Space Mountain, as it was my 3rd ever inverting coaster. Now I love it though, one of my favourite rides. That's more 'in spite of' the layout than anything else (I adore the theming, story and effects enough to make it a favourite...I tolerate the coaster). The tension in the launch of Space Mountain Mission 2 and in Rock n Rollercoaster do still intimidate me though, even though there are faster/more intense launches out there. It shows off the impact of a good theme and build-up.

Oddly, despite a dislike of heights I was surprisingly OK with my first coaster over 200ft (Silver Star at Europa Park), but this was ridden after I'd been on drop rides such as Mystery Castle and Tower of Terrror which got to me far more!

The tension in the launch of Space Mountain Mission 2 and in Rock n Rollercoaster do still intimidate me though, even though there are faster/more intense launches out there. It shows off the impact of a good theme and build-up.

Exactly! I think the theming and ambiance do a really great job there and, to me, it does have an effect on how I rank the coaster.

^My first 200 ft + coaster was also a B&M: Nitro. I had barely experienced any airtime before and never with lap bars only so the first drop did scare me and took me completely by surprise because I wasn't nervous or afraid at all before I rode it. By the second hill I was already wishing it would never end. Then a few hours later I experienced Kingda Ka so in terms of height, that was it.

El Toro used to terrify me when it first opened. I was only 10 and pretty short. The airtime used to scare the crap out of me and I was so short that in order to grab the grab bar, I had to completely lean forward. I later learned to ride with my arms up though. haha

Insanity and X-Scream are two that make my breath short just looking at them. They are on the won't do list for me (which is very very short.)

Skyscrapers scare the crap out of me, but I love them anyway.

Falcons Fury - just looking at it makes my heart flutter - but I cannot wait to ride it!

I have been on the Sky Screamer at SFOG, but I am absolutely terrified by the idea that there are rids like this that are nearly twice as tall! I don't know if I could handle the New England one.

^Also, what's a Skyscraper? Is this some fancy flat ride that I've never heard of before?

It is usually found around tourist trap areas like Pigeon Forge or I-Drive. The seats on either end of the arm rotate 360 degrees freely as it swings around. You often end up flying at the ground head first then flipping over on the way back to the top.

SkyScraper.jpg.cedbc299de5eed342a01da6daf9762f5.jpg

• 8 months later...

Boulder Dash used to really scare me as a little kid, but now I can handle just about any coaster that isn't a collision simulator. However, there are still some rides that freak me out.

Giant Inverted Boomerangs - Going backwards up that vertical spike is probably the closest one can get to the feeling of being a falcon's prey. But it's also one of my favorite aspects of the ride. I sure hope SFNE is able to fix the roughness issue with Goliath's Premier train so I can get back to riding it again.

Rock-O-Planes - These can be pretty scary if you don't know what you're doing. The only time I've been on one was two years ago, and I had no idea that you're supposed to steer it. Ouch!

Body slides - Even the measly tunnel twisters they have at Lake Compounce still kind of scare me. And Bonzai Pipelines at SFNE was the scariest ride I've ever been on. But I still go on them.

I haven't been on a Skycoaster or anything of that sort, and I'm not sure if I want to.

I literally have *NEVER* had a ride scare me. Then again, I have no fear of anything except cockroaches(no joke).

Tandem skydive before, got to do a gainer out of the plane. It was awesome, and I was not fearful of that even.

Giant Inverted Boomerangs - Going backwards up that vertical spike is probably the closest one can get to the feeling of being a falcon's prey. But it's also one of my favorite aspects of the ride. I sure hope SFNE is able to fix the roughness issue with Goliath's Premier train so I can get back to riding it again.

The first time I rode one I remember being scared by how all my weight was on the restraint but once I got in my mind that these things are really safe I was okay.

I'm going to have to add X2 to my original post. First time I rode it, I literally screamed from start to finish (I haven't done that since riding the original Steel Phantom as a kid) and held onto the restraints with a death grip. Even after that initial ride, that thing still scares the crap out of me.

• 1 year later...

I would have to say the super tall drop towers always make me nervous. Especially Falcon Fury. However the scariness is what makes them so awesome and fun! I actually love being scared on rides! Thats what makes many of them so great!! Xscream on the Stratosphere Tower was pretty scary too but still a lot of fun. There is never a ride i would chicken out on though. However there is one ride i do feel uncomfortable going on. This will sound pretty silly and embarrassing but its the bumper boats. The first time i went on them I had trouble staring and everyone waiting in line was watching. Was one of the most embarrassing moments in my life honestly. I know that sounds silly but i am super self worried and care what others think. Same with go-carts as i had people make fun me of the way i drive. Im really not a fan of rides you have to drive yourself I rather have rides i can sit back and really enjoy! ...unless its bumper cars because you have an excuse to drive around like a goon.

The Boat Chute at Lake Winnie!!! Height, speed, inversions and forces play no part in this ride, but it takes your soul and brings it into a relm of natural human fear that can become overwhelming. Those who have rode it know what i'm talking about, if you haven't rode it, look up a video. (just keep in mind the video will not do the live experience justice, but you'll get the concept)

Edited by mordecai-75

In a good way, looking down as I head north of 150 ft on larger Skycoaster models. Something about the slow Skycoaster ascent always makes me reflectively giggle as I ponder why I'm drawn to such predicaments as a hobby.

In a bad way, X/X2. Great concept, rough edges. The ride just pummels me. I've given it plenty of chances, but it's always been a back-thwacking, jostling, headbanging, vibrating, & disorienting car crash of an experience. The arms can even shimmy like someone is kicking the seats while the train is at a standstill in the station. Whenever someone says, "Let's go ride X -- it's the craziest!", the crud is scared out of me.