TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Rides Scares the Crud Out Of You?

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing really scares me anymore except maybe that drop tower at the Kemah boardwalk. It's on of those that don't give you a warning before they drop. It's that anticipation of not knowing when it's gonna happen.

Nothing really scares me anymore except maybe that drop tower at the Kemah boardwalk. It's on of those that don't give you a warning before they drop. It's that anticipation of not knowing when it's gonna happen.

I've been on that drop tower so many times that I can hear the tiny noise and know exactly which second it's going to drop lol

Out of the rides I've been on, the ones that scared me/made me jittery the first time were:

Intimidator 305 - when your first 300ft coaster gets you up there in only 20 seconds, it's really nerve-wracking. But after that lift hill, fear dropped away and I had the time of my life.

El Toro (SFGAdv) - pretty much the same experience. The day I first rode El Toro in the back row was the day I found out the true meaning of "OMFG!!!!"

Hypersonic XLC - I don't think anything has ever kicked the crap out of me so much since that 0-80mph in 1.8sec launch

The only ride that still really scares me is Drop Zone at King's Dominion (aka Drop Tower, but who really wants to call it that?). There is a certain fear associated with being up extremely high, not knowing when you are going to plunge straight to the ground, that is so effective each and every time. And that's why I love it.

The chairlift at Lake Compounce is not for the acrophobic. It's got a really good view, but it feels like you can slip out at any time, the temperature drops by about 10 degrees at the top, and the distance between you and the ground fluctuates more than the stock market. The 30 minute ride time is pretty crazy too, and going down is worse than going up. I have mild acrophobia, and this is one of the few rides that scares the crud out of me (but I ride it everytime I go!).

I can't remember if I posted in this thread before or not but here I am...

I don't get scared from coasters very often at all. If I do, it's only for the first time when I'm in line, strapped in waiting for the ride to start, or going up the lift hill that I feel a fluttery nervousness in my stomach. Deja Vu did that to me, X2, Top Thrill Dragster, I think El Toro, but that nervousness just makes me more excited to ride them!

I always get super nervous moreso than the above on drop rides, sky coasters, vertical speed-slides, etc, but it's never stopped me from riding them, although I don't run to these rides first thing in the day like I do with extreme coasters and other rides.

This isn't a ride, but I'm pretty much terrified to go to Fright Fest or any similar Halloween thing and go into the mazes. I know that I'd probably be super pumped and laughing/hyper/happy after I did them, but it would take me a lot of mustering to do one. Last year I went to a pretty well-designed maze that some people built in their home and it was my first time actually doing one. I had fun and ended up doing it again another time, but it made me super nervous. I think it's the idea of having people jump out at me unexpected/grabbing or touching me in the dark that terrifies me. A coaster is the same every time you or someone else rides it, so it's pretty easy to know what to expect even if you've never ridden a particular type of ride. A haunt maze? Gives me the hibbi-jibbies just thinking about them.

This isn't a ride, but I'm pretty much terrified to go to Fright Fest or any similar Halloween thing and go into the mazes.

I'm not super fond of haunted houses/mazes either.

This is a very dorky story, but once I was visiting Rick Baker's studio (he's pretty much THE monster special effects guy) and he had this little enclosed haunted maze he'd built right in the studio. I asked if I could go through and get "the credit" (LOL) but he had a rule that you have to go through alone or you can't go through. Even though the thing lasted about 30 seconds, I was SO scared walking through alone! Like I said, dorky story.

You couldn't PAY me to go to this. You have to walk alone, and I've heard it's terrifying: http://www.nychalloweenhauntedhouse.com/reviews.html

Intimidator at Carowinds

It was my first coaster after 16 years of not going on coasters. Vortex at CGA made me not want to go on coasters cause of how it made me feel. My bf convinced me to get on it though I would have much rather have gone in the middle of the train he knew the crew. So he asked can we get in the front row and I'm shaking my head like please no and they guy said ok. The entire way up the lift hill I'm saying "-bf's name- I hate you" and then we go over the drop I'm screaming and I get to the end and I'm like "lets go again"

Any coaster I go on I get nervous and anxious just because I have anxiety in general. Once I do it then I love it.

You couldn't PAY me to go to this. You have to walk alone, and I've heard it's terrifying: http://www.nychalloweenhauntedhouse.com/reviews.html

Sounds awesome! I haven't ever really gotten scared from a haunt, and I know a lot of the tricks from having worked at one.

I would like to add Hersheypark's log flume to rides that scare the crud out of me because on the splashdown at the end our boat skipped across the water and I legitimately thought something had gone wrong

Interesting that this came up, because when I was about 8 or 9 I always had this problem on Hershey's log flume (and Tidal Force) where my nose would bump really hard into the front of the log/boat once we hit the splashdown. It really, really hurt and while not scary, it was a pretty major detractor from riding until I grew taller!

One thing that always catches me off guard (happened to me last weekend every time I rode it too) are when coasters launch off. Often, the ride operators like to mess around with you to build up that anticipation...the launch seems to happen when you least expect it.

Also, if I'm not paying attention to the sounds Intamin drop towers make prior to dropping, the drop can catch me off guard. But most of the time, I end up listening for those first 2 clicks.

I would like to add Hersheypark's log flume to rides that scare the crud out of me because on the splashdown at the end our boat skipped across the water and I legitimately thought something had gone wrong

Interesting that this came up, because when I was about 8 or 9 I always had this problem on Hershey's log flume (and Tidal Force) where my nose would bump really hard into the front of the log/boat once we hit the splashdown. It really, really hurt and while not scary, it was a pretty major detractor from riding until I grew taller!

I loved Hershey's log flume mostly because of the skip. I wish that the more log flumes had this.

One thing that always catches me off guard (happened to me last weekend every time I rode it too) are when coasters launch off. Often, the ride operators like to mess around with you to build up that anticipation...the launch seems to happen when you least expect it.

Drives me crazy as well. I watched a video of one of the Flight of Fears, and the operator was dead silent for all of thirty seconds before he said "bye" and subsequently launched the train.

Another one is Storm Runner's launch (though I didn't ride it this year, I was sick during ERT), when it gets launched before the guy finishes saying, "now get ready, here we go".