TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

I haven't ridden Steel Hawg, but to answer Robb's question, Cornball Express by a mile! I loved that coaster, and will very fondly remember my out of control rides on it! The only other coaster I've ever ridden that felt as "dangerous" with the airtime, and therefore thrilling in that way, was another now-defunct coaster, Big Dipper at Geagua Lake. RIP Cornball and IB... You will be sorely missed...

So we'll see where this leads but I'm doubting most of IB's rides end up at other Apex-owned parks unless there's something I'm missing.

You are correct. Only the smaller and appropriate rides will end up at the Apex' FECs. The major rides are already be listed for sale, as some are reporting.

I might be the only enthusiast who actually preferred Hoosier Hurricane over Cornball Express. To be honest, it was a solid out-and-back coaster, but that setting -- traversing over the water, especially that big first drop where it looks like it's gonna plunk you right in the lake! -- elevated it to sublime for me.

But just rewatching Robb's video yesterday with the kids brought back a lot of good memories from our time there. That being said, it made my oldest sad that those rides are going away, and my youngest sad that she'll never get a chance to try them out, having been all of 2 years old when the big kiddo and I visited. I really hope that someone will swoop in to save either the park itself or the coasters, but I'm not holding my breath. After all, picking the bones for meat is just what these investment groups are known to do...

While I agree that Cornball Express is the best coaster overall at Indiana Beach (followed by Steel Hawg), I think I'll miss Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain the most. Yes, it could beat you up a bit, but it's sad to lose such an unusual ride. I'll miss Frankenstein's Castle, too.

Edited by cfc

we went here for a week on vacation when I was young and that was back when Superstition Mountain was still a dark ride, it was such a fun week.... I lost count of how many times I rode that thing. This breaks my heart because I haven't had a chance to share this with my sons.

This was just a plain shame when I heard the news that Indiana Beach was closed. I had my first and only trip to that park during my 2009 mid-American amusement park tour. Although my only complaint was that I needed a partner to ride their Scrambler Ride, this was a great park for me to visit.

Now, this park will join Lakeside (outside of Roanoke, VA), Astroworld, Hard Rock Park, Six Flags New Orleans, Magic Harbor, and the Pavilion (last two were in Myrtle Beach, SC) as parks I've visited and are now defunct.

An interesting development. This social media screenshot has been floating around...

87071806_1047865138901954_2946145156132241408_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQlVQ7y99R3ujgmKWQDVEASp2bOCLjGzq8NN3n7gnRl3Xp04cDCIRO50QaV2T7nwggU&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=32a2afd488bde6bbd38df157c81f7509&oe=5EC7AE27

It's caused a flurry of speculation that Fun Spot may be in talks to purchase some rides from the park, or, as some are speculating, the entire park itself. Steel Hawg in Orlando, anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/CoasterNerds/photos/a.257902394564903/1047865132235288/?type=3&theater

I wonder if they would keep pay one price entrance or bring back pay per ride with wristband option. A large number of complaints from park goers in the final years was that they can no longer go to the park to walk around and buy food ($2.50 entrance fee). This ultimately drove out the legendary taco stand to a new out-of-park location.