TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

And also, after doing the course once, assuming the park offers one time shots at it, what is there to really do again? It's fun and all, but I don't see doubling the admission price to go on a zip line a couple of times.

Maybe in a couple of years, once Indiana Beach (hopefully) lowers the cost, I'd try it. I was so super dooper excited when I heard about the addition (I'm obsessed with this park, and might get to go for the first time this year!) but it probably won't happen for me. Unless it's like 8 bucks to go once...

EDIT: I wouldn't buy the season pass anyway, because my parents would never take me more than once a year. They dislike my theme park obsession...

http://www.indianabeach.com/pages/indianabeach_tickets_rates

Under Main Gate Ticket Category, it lists Adventure Point at $49.95, Ride and Adventure Point at $59.95, and Ride, Waterpark, and Adventure Point at $69.95. I believe those are the one day prices, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I see the new owner is continuing to do his best to drive Indiana Beach into the ground...

http://www.indianabeach.com/pages/indianabeach_tickets_rates

Under Main Gate Ticket Category, it lists Adventure Point at $49.95, Ride and Adventure Point at $59.95, and Ride, Waterpark, and Adventure Point at $69.95. I believe those are the one day prices, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I see the new owner is continuing to do his best to drive Indiana Beach into the ground...

Please elaborate, I'm not following you here.

I'm very interested in the upgraded facilities that were mentioned in the article. I found the park to be very bland, color wise. Sure, the rides were totally awesome, and well worth the many re-rides I did, but looking down the boardwalk with the dull colors of brown, grey, and white just made the place look extremely run down. I really hope in the upcoming years, some of the rides and shops on the boardwalk could get some repainting... That's all I ask for!

• 4 weeks later...
New for 2011 Indiana Beach Amusement Resort, the premiere Indiana entertainment destination located on Lake Schaffer in Monticello, introduces Adventure Point. Adventure Point is Indiana Beach’s third park area joining the Boardwalk Funway Rides and Ideal Beach Waterpark. Adventure Point at Indiana Beach is home to new Zip Lines, a high ropes course, rock climbing and the new Adventure Point Outfitters shop.

Indiana Beach’s New Adventure Point is part of a multi-year, multi-million dollar expansion and improvement plan that includes a new entrance plaza, remodeled and upgraded restrooms and facilities.

Indiana Beach Amusement Resort opened its doors in 1926 as a swimming area in a cornfield and has grown into the largest Amusement Resort and Vacation Playground in Indiana. An escape destination enjoyed by nearly three quarters of a million visitors annually, Indiana beach boasts over 40 rides and attractions, games, fine dining, dancing, an exciting Waterpark, six roller coasters, and so much more. While the resort staff has been hard at work restoring rides, installing new ticket booths, renovating bathrooms and more this winter, Indiana Beach is now ready to invite the public to get involved in the improvement project.

Tom Sawyer Weekend, to be held April 29 – May 1st, will give students of the Twin Lakes School System the opportunity to show off their artistic skills in an effort to repaint the park fence and walls. Inspired by the Tom Sawyer white washing story, the event will be sponsored by Lowe’s and provide elementary, middle and high school students with the necessary supplies to paint murals on the resort’s now dull surfaces. “The goal is to get the community involved in the restoration project,” commented Gary Quasebarth , Indiana Beach General Manager. “Tom Sawyer Day will inspire kids to embrace their artistic abilities while brightening up one of their favorite destinations.”

Once the park, owned by Morgan RV Resorts, has been revived and repainted, it will launch the 2011 season with a Cinco de Mayo party. Held May 7th – 8th, the weekend long Cinco de Mayo festivities will feature Traditional and Modern Latin Dance Troops, Latino Dance Lessons, Authentic Mexican Cuisine from Chicago Land Restaurants, Traditional Hispanic Jewelry and Clothing, And Much More! The resort will also offer $18 unlimited ride passes, and sneak peak look at Adventure Point.

But you’ll have to wait until June 4th to experience the thrills of Adventure Point. Purchase your Indiana Beach Adventure Pass today on line at http://www.indianabeach.com and receive an invitation to an exclusive Adventure Point Grand Opening Party with celebrity guest appearances, the new Adventure Point Outfitters gift shop, food, fun and entertainment to be held June 4th.

As soon as the resort is open for the season, weekly jazz parties will be held on the Lake Schafer beach. Sponsored by the local Whyte Horse Winery, every Thursday night will feature live jazz music, wine tastings served by the Whyte Horse staff and food. The idea behind this new series of events is to give adults something to look forward to. “Indiana Beach isn’t just for kids!” laughed Quasebarth.

The Thursday night jazz parties will be reminiscent of one of the park’s main attractions from its first years. Earl Spackman, the park’s original owner, built a ballroom and dance floor in 1930. The dance floor hosted evening dances for guests and residents of the surrounding area. In the '30’s, the Indiana Beach Ballroom was a home to the growing Big Band Era. Expanding twice, the Ballroom quickly became one of the major attractions. This season, the Indiana Beach management plans to emphasize the legendary Ballroom as a destination for weddings, reunions and more.

For more information about Indiana Beach Amusement Park or how you can get involved in the Indiana Beach Revival visit http://www.indianabeach.com or call 574-583-4141.

image001.jpg.d8405f38d9178f0942e1cc6296c2338c.jpg

image002.jpg.366e589beb2606ffe813258f1b8cc40c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Indiana Beach recently posted some construction pictures on their Facebook page. Looks like Adventure Point is being built at the south end of the boardwalk, and some rides are being moved to make room: YoYo, Falling Star and Music Express. These rides will be relocated to the area between Hurricane and Steel Hawg (next to the log flume - where all that empty space was). The platform for the YoYo is still present, and comments on the photo imply that one zip-line will travel from there all the way to the DoubleShot. I admit I'm kind of bummed that the YoYo was moved (and the Falling Star since the view was awesome), but I'm still optimistic that the zip-lines will be a worthy replacement..

Here are some photos from the Indiana Beach Facebook page.

Other pictures show construction for a new entry plaza in the south lot.

226335_10150163644277199_337613147198_6965732_3501392_n.jpg.c30c8391343e1d31ea78f1500d135145.jpg

No more YoYo - but possibly fun zip-line.

216524_10150163649017199_337613147198_6965759_788897_n.jpg.6d88a854d02eb58c117ef3f372a3810b.jpg

New location for the YoYo, Music Express and Falling Star. Will be so nice to see this space filled-in.

218000_10150163648217199_337613147198_6965755_2640641_n.jpg.23539616716d3d1cb583112fca52a23d.jpg

New (very welcome) entry plaza in the south lot.

The Yo-Yo won't be above the water anymore? Very surprising and daring move on their part! I can imagine that a zipline out onto the old Yo-Yo pier would be exciting, but it's a shame they couldn't build a new pier for the ride.

Edited by Myself

On Sunday the following rides weren't operating:

Yo, Yo, Falling Star, and Musik Express (Obviously)

Log Flume

Cornball Express

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain

Antique Cars

Splash Battle

Shafer Queen

The park gave us free tickets to come back during the 2011 operating season, though, to make up for all the closed rides. Indiana Beach has been getting a lot of flak for the changes they're making, but they're definitely pumping a lot of money into this park, which I guess is a good thing. I just hope they've planned on keeping revenue streams stable. If the prices go much higher, I think people will find other things to do, and I don't want this park to go the way of the numerous lakeside parks in the midwest that are no longer there or just a shadow of their old selves.

Also, It looks like Adventure point will be quite large, encompassing where the mini golf course was in HH's turnaround as well as the location of Falling Star and Musik Express, with a zipline going out to the yo-yo platform. It could be the coolest ropes course I've seen built around here. We'll have to wait and see.

I hope they bring back the water stunt show, there was no sign of it and the ramp in the lake was gone. Maybe it'll come back as the season progresses. I hope so, as it's part of what makes IB special.

Frankenstein's Castle is still awesome. Glad to see they're keeping that one good! Also, Hoosier hurricane was running pretty smoothly with only one rough spot where it dives under the bridge. Even had a couple pops of almost air in the back. I really wish Cornball had been open, though. Oh well, I'll be back later this summer it seems.

Hi! My family is going to IB for a trip this summer. Family = myself, husband, step son (12), and nephew (9 or 10). I'm trying to somewhat plan our trip. Our dates are June 12, 13 and 14. I'm thinking about staying at IB for two nights. My biggest question is what kind of tickets should I buy? The kids will want to do the waterpark and rides. Can we get everything done in one day or should we break up the days? Also, do they give a discount on multiple day tickets besides the season pass? I have other questions but this is the biggest one I have in order to budget money for admission. Thanks.

I think it's kind of outrageous they have compromised the location of the Falling Star and Swings. The Music Express can go anywhere as the lake really didn't affect the ride experience but those swings were seriously awesome and the view on the Falling Star was fantastic. I think the ropes course should have gone over in the area where they moved the flats, but maybe the view of the lake will be of good use on that too. Uhhhhhhhhg. I am having a really hard time digesting this. I LOVE this park. I'm not naysaying progress here, but the these additions are not being done in the spirit that the park grew up with. Look at Cornball Express and tell me that a zipline had to give iconic attractions the boot from their locations. Building a zipline that was geniously placed to accomodate those rides in their current locations, now THAT is the IB way.

Indiana Beach has been getting a lot of flak for the changes they're making, but they're definitely pumping a lot of money into this park, which I guess is a good thing.

This.

Parks need to change in order to stay relevant, otherwise you end-up with crap like Cedar Point - which still thinks all it needs to do is barf up a coaster every year or two (and make up some records for it to break). Sorry, but that's a yawn-fest. I was also upset when I first read that the swings had been moved, but it's not like nothing is replacing them. The ropes and zip-lines could be really fun, at least give them a chance. Even if the park hadn't been sold, the previous owners would have to make changes too - yes, it was a **wonderful** park 5 years ago, but it's just not possible to stop time. Space is very limited at Indiana Beach, yet they've found a way to add (what sounds like) a massive addition without losing a single ride. That's fantastic! (OK, so the mini-golf at the south end of the boardwalk is gone - I don't thing I ever saw people play it..).

Cameron.

I know that these ropes courses have their fans around here, but the swings no longer over the water? That's like moving Space Mountain outdoors.

Agreed. Moving those swings (especially the new location that they've chosen) is a tragedy. That was easily the most exciting Yo-Yo I've ever ridden...and the only one I would have ever taken the time to ride again. And again.

Parks need to change in order to stay relevant, otherwise you end-up with crap like Cedar Point - which still thinks all it needs to do is barf up a coaster every year or two (and make up some records for it to break). Sorry, but that's a yawn-fest.

With respect, Cameron, I think you're contradicting yourself. Cedar Point is the poster boy for changing to stay relevant, and have become very generic as a result of that.

Indiana Beach is taking heat for changing/removing good things that people like. And people are right to complain about it, in my view. When I tell people about Indiana Beach, "the swings that go out over the water" are one of the first things I mention. I seriously doubt that "the swings that were plopped down in a parking lot" will be very high on my sales pitch list.

Will this ropes course be cool? Sure, probably. But it'd be a whole lot cooler is we didn't have to give up so much in exchange for it. What, Indiana Beach ran out of water to go out over?