TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

^ In my opinion, it looks like a hybrid between the two. Has it ever run? I would love to see a video of this ride in action too, but as I recall from a trip report it is SBNO.

Doesn't surprise me either. I don't see any breaks, and that first drop straight down into that "loop" looks nuts. I've looked everywhere for a video and can't find one - only the screamin squirrel which looks downright boring - no wonder there aren't any in this county.

Steel Hawg on the other hand is in the US and looks like it has amazing potential being the best of all three concepts rolled into one (let's hope).

^ because afterburner is a Screamin Squirrel.

Actually, Screamin' Squirrels don't use tubular track like Afterburner. Unless S&S considers this version 2 of Screaming Squirrel, but there's no documenting of this that I can find. (Anyone have anything solid on this?) S&S's website is no help, one of the WORST industry web sites! (Apparently under design AGAIN! Don't people know that you don't put up a new site unless it's FINISHED!)

Again, (repeating myself) RCDB is a great resource, but is not 100% accurate, as it relies on submissions and is voluntarily ran.

IMHO, Steel Hog looks like a torture device of some sort. It certainly doesn't look comfortable. With everyone else, I hope all us skeptics are wrong.

I guess they're considering those "inversions" on Afterburner because it lists the ride as having 2 inversions. That seems a little odd to me after having seen that they list SFDK's V2 as having 0 inversions. Oh well.

By the way... Did anyone notice the nice legs on the girl near the bottom left corner of the first picture? I did.

Dbru - with all due respect, I do not see any breaks on either drop of afterburner - educate me - where are they on this picture - those drops look clean to me - and for the life of me - I can not find a picture or video of this ride operating anywhere !!

I do see them on the flats, but not on the drops themselves - curious where they are (honest).

afterburner.thumb.jpg.6ae4bc79c39122b747e616ad6eecc945.jpg

Dbru - with all due respect, I do not see any breaks on either drop of afterburner - educate me - where are they on this picture - those drops look clean to me - and for the life of me - I can not find a picture or video of this ride operating anywhere !!
Those parts on the right side of the track that stick up look like brakes. There have to be brakes there. Imagine how horrible Afterburner's first drop and turn afterward would be without brakes.

Look at the second drop. It's easier to see the metal sticking up. That's got to be some sort of braking system.

Yup - I see them and did before my post. On the first drop, it's that straight down portion that appears to be brakeless prior to the "inversion". I don't know - even if those "thick" portions of track were brakes, that verticle drop going into that first inversion followed by that 180 degree turns look friggen nuts.

I question weather this ride ever operated - I love the concept or idea - don't get me wrong - but it just looks "wrong" - or typical for S&S - lol.

^They're the sort of brakes thet keep the train going at a steady, slow speed even though it's going downhill.

In, other words, they're magnetic brakes. You know, rare earth magnets, eddy currents, Lenz's Law, etc.

^ But they don't look like it. They're on the side of the track by the rail. I guess we'll have to wait for better pictures.

The Screamin' Squirrels use tires to slow the car down in the saxophone turns.

I do see them on the flats, but not on the drops themselves - curious where they are (honest).

You can see them in the middle of the track in the blown up photo below. (Or at least that's my guess at this point.)

afterburner_401.jpg.71379692847d5e039924048c8fc5650b.jpg

^Yep, your right, those brakes are in the center of the track. Here's another picture that proves it.

Judging by their thinness, I would have to say they're the copper alloy plates used in magnetic braking systems.

^Probably for a reason, too, seeing as those benches are not conencted, so they create an uneven, broken up line, which, at some point, might have an opening in it. Plus, an easy-to-move bench does not say "Do not cross" quite as much as an iron fence does.