TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

It looks like we may be heading up to the Dells again for a few days in August, if so, this will be a stop at some point. This ride looks so unique and fun! And if it works out well for IB I could see this coaster style/design being a very viable option for parks who have somewhat smaller budgets. Even better, it could be a great little coaster for parks that are tight on space...like Indiana Beach, (can you believe how small the footprint is for this coaster?!)

It appears the video gave a more RCT-ish image than the real thing, which is certainly a good thing. The opposite banked turn doesn't look as impressive as I though it would but the ride as a whole looks utterly mad (especially the downwards heartline).

I am very interested in riding it as well, looks INSANE(for better or for worse).

However, that first uphill-slope-and-neck-breaking-turn after the drop looks PAINFUL. So either the brakes at the top of the drop are on really strong, or that part might as well jsut chop your head off, by the looks of it.

Also, how come the cornabll express' big fan turnaround is in the BACKGROUND? Is Steel Hawg built far away form the park itself? If you look at a picture of Indiana Beach from above you'd understand why this makes little sense.

Reguardless of how screwed up it looks, this thing is AMAZING! I can't wait till it opens up so I can ride it. I mean, that double outwards turn into diveloop looks pretty intense, and a downwards heartline? Wow, just...wow.

^ I won't pass judgement on it. I think this thing looks totally incredible...can't wait to head up that way in August.

Wasn't it being put in around Cornball & the log flume? 'Cause that area was looking tight already, but then again, this is the type of challenge IB has been facing for years. They've always come through again and again, if there's anybody who can make it work it'll be IB.

^ I won't pass judgement either until I ride it and agree this could be one hell of a ride. With that said, ther is only so much IB can do so if the speed is not dead on, the transitions could be tough. I think we are all hoping for the best cause this ride has the potential to be one hell of a winner for S&S imo.

I'm not going to say this wont be fun, but I will say it looks painful! It has some REALLY screwed up trackwork, and we all know how S&S is with their "out of the box" ideas and how they usually end up working out (Screamin Squirrels/Dodonpa)... That doesn't mean it wont be fun though, I'm not one to not like a coaster just because it's rough.

Maybe I can get up to IB sometime soon to give this baby a ride and pass some real judgement.

-Justin "Trying to stay as neutral as possible" Seabaugh

^ Areed Thom25...I've only rode one S&S coaster so far, and that was Avalanche @ Timber Falls, (Wisconsin Dells)...and it's still one of the best I've ever personally rode. When I was there with my daughter last year we couldn't get enough of it, (15 straight rides before took a break that night, we ended with 23 in all).

http://rcdb.com/ig2588.htm

^ WOW - I am so jelous. Just watched a POV video of it on you tube - sweet ride for sure! I have never riden one despite going to PKD three (3) times to ride Hypersonic. Damn ride never worked, and given the reviews, I guess it was no loss, though I would have liked to have experience that launch. Maybe this will be my year. Hopefully we'll see a video of Steel Hawg soon.

^Well, the only type of coaster they've inherited from Arrow is the 4th Dimension, and they've only made one so far with Eejanaika, plus the X2 trains. S&S's Dodonpa has mixed reviews, but not even the "haters" can deny that it has the fastest/most intense acceleration, and the most extreme bit of airtime out of any ride. People who aren't bothered by the alleged roughness tend to like it.

I rode 2 S&S coasters.

1st being Hypersonic, which was HORRIBLE.

2nd being Avalanche, which was AMAZING.

So either S&S is only good at wood coasters, or (hopefully), it got better at steel ones after they merged with Arrow.

Don't forget PowderKeg, which is AMAZING as well. After riding that, I get my hopes set really high for each new S&S project. I don't see why they aren't focusing more on rides like that - the ones they're actually good at. I guess there's just more appeal in the smaller, cheaper coaster market right now, hence Steel Hawg.

^Exactly, it's the history of the company that makes watching Steel Hawg so interesting. No doubt S&S has made some intense and unique rides. The question imo with Steel Hawg will be the ride experience. Can S&S deliver an extreme quality ride experience in a steel coaster? Hope so.

I'd forgotten all about Hypersonic, I guess that can be easy to do for some people like me. I think the most memorable things about that ride were the launch...which was pretty sweet, and then the break run...which nearly killed me. The vertical hill really didn't do much for me.