TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

You do realize that wearing a mask and social distancing is not going to get rid of the virus. It might help slow it down but it will never be gone. A vaccine will help but until all people are exposed to the virus and build up anti bodies to it the virus it is here to stay. Infected cases go up everyday but the death toll also drops everyday. The media only wants us to believe the doom and gloom. If you are not comfortable being around people without masks on then stay at home. If I get it then I get it. I'm not going to hide in my house from it or wear gloves and masks if I have to go out any wear. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion on whats best for them. Lets all be happy the park is still open so we can all keep enjoying.

• Like 1

Just wondering. We agree that the virus started in China and a mask may slow it down. How did South Korea, Japan, and the other Asian countries avoid getting their countries infected resulting in a bunch of deaths? They didn't shut more stuff down, they just wore masks and didn't complain about it. Brazil, India, Russia, and good chunks of the USA said screw masks and the virus is going everywhere. Japan and South Korea are closer to China and are doing a lot better than Arizona or Florida right now.

Just wondering. We agree that the virus started in China and a mask may slow it down. How did South Korea, Japan, and the other Asian countries avoid getting their countries infected resulting in a bunch of deaths? They didn't shut more stuff down, they just wore masks and didn't complain about it. Brazil, India, Russia, and good chunks of the USA said screw masks and the virus is going everywhere. Japan and South Korea are closer to China and are doing a lot better than Arizona or Florida right now.

I'm not sure you'll find an answer from a qualified epidemiologist on this forum, but I could be wrong about that.

My hunch is that physical proximity of countries matters much less than the policies and mitigations each country has put in place to flatten the curve as well as social compliance in regards to wearing masks, keeping distant, and washing hands.

It's likely that Japan and South Korea acted more quickly than the United States has in regards to mitigations and recommendations. I also assume that you are correct in pointing out cultural differences.

I really wish the US in general would take mask wearing more seriously. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." It really seems like a no-brainer.

I honestly don’t know what to believe anymore. I went to the doctor because I was getting headaches out of nowhere, he said it was most likely because I was wearing a mask all day while working my summer job. So I switched to a shield at work and I’m not getting headaches anymore..

He also said there are smaller particles that the mask won’t stop and because of that it’s basically useless against the virus. And he sent me a link to a scientific journal article explaining it all. What I could understand (those can be hard reads) made sense.

So honestly like I said I don’t know what to believe. I do think the mask was the source of my headaches so I won’t be visiting any parks where you have to wear it. So now I have to decide if I want to stay home or visit parks that don’t require a mask like Indiana Beach, a place I’ve been wanting to visit for a while now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^ We were just in the dells. Not a mask in sight anywhere. Mt Olympus and the whole town of the Dells was slammed and everything was fully open and normal and no one had mask on. It was great

• Like 1

I was just in northern Michigan for the 4th and life is back to normal up there. Crowded beaches for fireworks, crowded sandbars in lakes. The number of masks I saw was less than 10.

I think I’m going to wait until August to see how everything is going, and maybe I’ll visit some parks in the Midwest that don’t require masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^ We were just in the dells. Not a mask in sight anywhere. Mt Olympus and the whole town of the Dells was slammed and everything was fully open and normal and no one had mask on. It was great

Mount Olympus is the last thing anyone should follow.

Anyway, Does anyone know when the Log Flume will reopen?

That's a shame about Mount Olympus and also the most unsurprising news of the year.... it's pretty scary though when you look around that park (and Indiana Beach) and realize that 90% of the guests (including children) have giant Covid-19 risk factors such as obesity and being smokers.

2 years ago when we first visited both parks I couldn't believe the average state of health of Indiana and Wisconsin citizens.

It's likely that Japan and South Korea acted more quickly than the United States has in regards to mitigations and recommendations. I also assume that you are correct in pointing out cultural differences.

Japan had been doing well but my friends there are getting worried since numbers are spiking there too now, it's early but some people are worried about a second wave despite trying everything in their power to contain the spread. Tokyo recently saw its highest numbers. But one difference between the Asian countries and others is they consider even small number increases a very serious problem not to be ignored.

As for Korea, it has a very strict track and trace and laws that they can invade your privacy if it's in the interest of public health so they can trace most cases to where they've come from and get people in contact to be tested and quarantined. This isn't their first outbreak so thankfully Korea learnt from SARS and the Korean MERS outbreak to learn from their mistakes.

They did a test of 3,000 random people to see if any of them had antibodies to the virus and only 1 had antibodies. Not to be too political but the Korean authorities were pretty humble when people started saying it was proving the tracing is finding the most cases and keeping it from spreading secretly. They've claimed it could be due to the small sample size. I feel like a certain president would use this result to say 'We did the test and the scientists were amazed by how much America has aced it. They said no other country is doing it like we are, and no country has resisted it like us.'

Korea is also doing mandatory tests at the airport and 14 days quarantine, and those who are positive get free treatment. Illegals and people who have overstayed/expired visas will be allowed to walk away without punishment during the crisis to try and stop people from going underground.

Despite all that, we're still getting 25-40 local cases and 25-40 a day from imports. That's a small number but the authorities are comparing it to 'whack-a-mole' since the numbers keep going steady with mini-outbreaks all over the country. Even with the strictest track and trace it only takes a few who slip through the net to set it off elsewhere.

2D90DB73-2BAB-4D06-B469-0534E964C352.thumb.jpeg.789ea3ac5025ac5eb60d592efafd9ff4.jpeg

Edited by Garet

I think I’m going to wait until August to see how everything is going, and maybe I’ll visit some parks in the Midwest that don’t require masks.

You might as well just wait until after the election.

• Like 1

Careful now, we all know that COVID is a totally serious thing that has nothing to do with politics at all.

• Like 1

I think we would all like all of these threads to go back to being just about theme parks, but right now the reality is that America's bats*** insane leaders, and their lack of Covid-19 response, are limiting us from enjoying all of our favorite parks as we are used to enjoying them. Hell some of our biggest 2020 rides are locked down due to liens thanks to the virus.

It didn't have to be this way. New Zealand is open. Parts of Europe are already scheduling concerts again - even indoor concerts. Meanwhile we have morbidly obese, scooter-driving, red-hat wearing crazy people threatening to shoot Walmart employees because they're told to wear a piece of paper over their mouths. About 40% of Americans seem to have *zero* empathy or concern for anyone around them. I imagine we're going to continue seeing these tantrums until the November election when these embarrassing trolls will hopefully be sent back to their caves.

• Like 1

I mean New Zealand doesn't require nor recommend mask so maybe remove that from your rant if your trying to make a point. Anyway, this argument could go on and on and even so less political. (Especially when you post the same thing in other threads. That gets annoying.)

Back on topic I was glad to see this park saved. It' s place I want to get to someday so I was glad to see it make a comeback. Sounds like they are being supported fairly well so I hope the can continue to make it until I can get out there though that doesn't appear to be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this back to the park, I took the family to the park today to get our coaster fix since our governor (IL) will not let SFGAm open (except for the water park). Light crowds due to a light rain most of the day, but most of the rides were open, with only Tiger’rr and Lost Coaster closed, Tiger’rr due to rain and Lost Coaster either rain or because it is almost never open anyway. Got on that one years ago thankfully. It felt so good to get on rides again!

We were some of the very few weirdos wearing masks most of the day and on the rides. Even though Indiana issued a mask mandate in public Monday, very few had any on. Oh well. IL and IN are two very different worlds I guess. I just wanted to keep us as safe as possible. We were able to social distance most of the day with the light crowds, so that is probably why many did not wear them. The IN mandate is for when social distancing is not possible or indoors. Not trying to continue the political debate. Just found it interesting. The only time I got annoyed was with an unmasked teenage couple who did not observe social distancing in line on Steel Hawg behind us, asked to ride with us, which I reluctantly allowed, but then the girl started hacking up a lung right in front of us on the exit ramp, not wearing a mask of course. So if I get covid she’s at fault! lol

^ I've had park staff and people ask to sit with me over the past 2 months and my response is always the same; I'm ok with it as long as the rider wears a mask above their nose.

Good idea. I felt bad saying no. They were sitting behind us on SH, not next to us, and my son and I had masks on, so I figured the risk was pretty minimal.

So we stopped by the park Sat evening. We started out the day at CP and didn't get there until about 5, there was light but steady rain the whole time we were there. Lost Coaster and Tiger'r also closed for us which was a bit disappointing for my son since there were the two weird ones he really wanted to get the credit for. We could have waited but it did not look promising for either to open and with the rain and complete lack of anyone wearing masks or making any attempt to distance in the lines we did the other 3 coasters and hightailed it out of there. I'm not super paranoid or I wouldn't be going to theme parks to begin with but honestly it was pretty bad.

We have never been there but it was not horribly out of the way coming home from CP so decided to stop. Now I wasn't expecting much but honestly most of the rides were pretty janky looking and at the risk of sounding elitist; I just cannot see the new owner making this thing work unless he puts some serious cash into it for upgrades in order to attract a more affluent clientele. I'm not saying he has to price people out but right now there is just not any reason to go there if you can afford better except for the most die hard enthusiasts chasing credits. Maybe it is just particularly rundown now and if so I hope he can restore it to it's former glory. You know keep the carnival boardwalk feel but do some serious updates.

No offense to anyone with childhood memories of the place but just my honest observation.

^If you get on Lost Coaster, consider yourself lucky. It was only open one of the three times we’ve been there. The lift system (or rain) causes problems. Tig’rr we were told cannot run in the rain due to the braking system. Whizzer at SFGAm is also a Schwarzkopf and cannot run in the rain. Beyond its history and an intense first drop, Tig’rr gets pretty rough and is not the greatest coaster around.

I don’t know if the new owner will succeed or not either. Having to reopen during the pandemic is obviously very hard on business, and recent owners have struggled. I am glad he was able to save the park, and we’ll have to give him time to make some upgrades. But IB has always been essentially a glorified carnival, with some decent coasters and a few other unique attractions that take it above that level. The boardwalk atmosphere on the beautiful lake with rides on the water just make it a fun and unique park.

It is in the middle of nowhere rural Indiana, so an affluent clientele is not the target market for this park. Better off people from the Chicago suburbs like us or Indianapolis head there because it’s a fun day trip, so it’s not in the worst location, but this is not Disney World. I honestly thought the $40 initial price was too high for the park this summer, and we did not go until they started the mid-week $34.95 price. The waterpark is not very good, and we only did it the first time there many years ago but now skip it. They used to offer a combo pass or just a rides pass, so I miss the rides only price, which was closer to $30.

I hope IB can succeed under the new ownership, once we get past this stupid virus. I consider it a hidden gem of a park.

Edited by ilrider