TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

Indiana Beach was definitely a unique park and I loved Cornball Express, but it wasn't in a really good place when I visited 3 years ago. A lot of rides were closed, including 5 of the 6 coasters by the end of the night.

I'd want nothing more than for someone to come in and restore this park to how it was before the new owners took over.

Nooooooooooooo!!! Is Knoebels the only Fascination parlour left now?

Darien Lake still has theirs, and Geneva-on-the-Lake, a small resort town in Ohio, has one as well.

Nantasket Beach in Hull, MA has one that opens on very rare occasions. There's a very active one still in Seaside, Oregon.

Wikipedia also says there's Fascination at Sylvan Beach Park, Looff's Lite-a-Line in Long Beach, CA, and a retro arcade in Wildwood, NJ.

Please please please become Six Flags Indiana. I enjoyed this park and do not want it to close

It did. That's why it turned into a dump in the past decade.

Please let the Koch family get it... that's the only hope. The good people of Indiana like being treated with respect; there was no way IB was going to last the way it was running. I couldn't even go in the past 3 or so years, it got so bad.

Up until the Spackman's sold it, it was one of the best-run/well-kept/funnest parks in the country with 2 immaculately maintained wood coasters, and 2 little classic steel coasters. A Galaxi only does so much, but on a pier at Indiana Beach, surrounded by water slides and blinking lights, it was like heaven. Charm. Think a miniature Knoebels on the lake. It was a guaranteed great time up until the sale. We would rather drive 2.5 hours to IB than the 45 mins to SF Great America. Quality over quantity.

Frankly, it's out of it's misery. Come on Koch family!

Edited by JT325

Think a miniature Knoebels on the lake.

That's exactly what I was hoping this place would somehow turn into. I guess it just wasn't going to happen, or a least not under the current ownership.

I can't say that Indiana Beach was a great park, but it was a unique park, and honestly unlike any other I've visited. That counts for a lot. I'm sad I only went there once.

It’s no secret the park hasn’t been as amazing as it was ten years ago recently but I think we were all still really hopeful and pulling for them. This is sad. Also, if anyone knows how I can get a few of their fascination machines please let me know!!!

It's sad to realize how many people won't remember it that way. Even in 2010, it was close enough to that for me to love the place. Shame so many people missed out on its better days or witnessed its decline.

Dang. After 94 years, Indiana Beach has closed.

I only went here twice, after seeing it multiple times here on TPR and seeing just what IB was all about. I had family in a little town nearby called Delphi, and many of the kids would have summer jobs at IB. Anyways, the two times I went I had some of the best fun possible. It’s got a permanent spot on my list of top theme/amusement parks.

So long, Indiana Beach.

You will be dearly missed.

It's sad to realize how many people won't remember it that way. Even in 2010, it was close enough to that for me to love the place. Shame so many people missed out on its better days or witnessed its decline.

Agreed. I guess if one has never had it that good, they will never know what they missed.

A friend sent me this video history of IB:

Indiana Beach (until 2008/2009) was the definition of Amusement Park. You could feel the excitement crossing the bridge to the park. Coasters and rides moving all over the place. Seeing the Hurricane and Cornball cross eachother on their respective lifts was a common sight. All the neon and flashing lights in place at night. Kids and families laughing and having a great time. The smell of hot dogs and fries, freshly-made funnel cakes, hot spun cotton candy and tacos(!?) permeated the air. Everything always moved, no closed rides. No operational issues. Relaxing if you want, or wild with excitement! Really a perfect park until the sale. It was sad to see the place transform into just another little six flags-ish dump.

A good reminder to appreciate your favorite places and rides. I sure did! My friends and I would go to IB usually 1-3 times a summer until 2008. Still a major bummer. Remember the Koch family wanted Kentucky Kingdom (they already had a name/logo for it: Bluegrass Boardwalk), let's hope they consider Indiana Beach. Could you imagine the awesomeness!?

Indiana Beach (until 2008/2009) was the definition of Amusement Park. You could feel the excitement crossing the bridge to the park. Coasters and rides moving all over the place. Seeing the Hurricane and Cornball cross eachother on their respective lifts was a common sight. All the neon and flashing lights in place at night. Kids and families laughing and having a great time. The smell of hot dogs and fries, freshly-made funnel cakes, hot spun cotton candy and tacos(!?) permeated the air. Everything always moved, no closed rides. No operational issues. Relaxing if you want, or wild with excitement! Really a perfect park until the sale. It was sad to see the place transform into just another little six flags-ish dump.

Absolutely agree here. Now, I went later in IBs life, but I could still feel it. Not so much, but a little bit, if it counts. I could tell this place had a history and a charm unlike any other park I’ve ever been to.

I was extremely sad to hear about IBs closure. (I think I said that already, but I’ll say it again) It will forever be one of the great American theme parks.

The various news articles have noted that before today's announcement, Apex tried -- unsuccessfully -- to find a buyer.

Speaking of Apex, I think we also need to keep an eye on Fantasy Island.

Apex owned three amusement parks. Two of the three have closed this winter- Clementon and now Indiana Beach. The third is Fantasy Island. Checking the website of Apex, their list of parks has been taken down and the logo for Fantasy Island can't be found anywhere.

https://apexparksgroup.com/parks

Wow and I just days ago booked a flight into Chicago so I could visit this park on the way to Kings Island. Hmmm... if only Six Flags had a park in the Chicago area with a new S&S credit I don't yet have that I could visit instead... Well, nice to dream I suppose!

While I did not really follow any news about the park, I didn't expect a park of this size to be closed so suddenly. I was aware that the park was a bit run-down. Was the park running so badly that closure was necessary though?

The various news articles have noted that before today's announcement, Apex tried -- unsuccessfully -- to find a buyer.

Speaking of Apex, I think we also need to keep an eye on Fantasy Island.

Apex owned three amusement parks. Two of the three have closed this winter- Clementon and now Indiana Beach. The third is Fantasy Island. Checking the website of Apex, their list of parks has been taken down and the logo for Fantasy Island can't be found anywhere.

https://apexparksgroup.com/parks

No official announcements have been made yet, however, an article on the website of ACE says that rides from Indiana Beach and Fantasy Island have been offered for sale, including Silver Comet, so I guess it's over for Fantasy Island as well...

Wow. Shocking news. I knew it was not in as good a shape as it used to be, but I am surprised they could not find a buyer. Maybe someone will still come in to save it. We enjoyed our two visits there. Cornball Express has great airtime, Steel Hawg was fun and unique, and we were lucky enough to get a ride on Lost Coaster the second visit.

So, just spitballin' here...how much of a royal pain in my ass would it be to hunt for potential investors and try to find a way to reopen the park under new management?

Again, just spitballing. I'm a live entertainment professional, not qualified to run an entire park. I'd certainly entertain the idea, though. Ba dum tiss.

Edited by KBrylczyk

I don't know about IB... but Fantasy Island was selling season passes for about $34 which included the end half of the previous year, parking, plus free tickets for friends, etc. Plus their own little haunt. No way they can survive on that. Back in the day, before Apex, Marty charged more than even Darien Lake passes, but the locals who lived on Grand Island still went.... at the very least....

Curious... were the Indiana Beach passes just as cheap?

EDIT: answered my own question thanks to archive.org...

a882feb4c531d8aee84cfe5aab42784b.jpg