TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

I'm having trouble picturing...where is this? Clearly Cornball is above it in the foreground and Steel Hawg is in the background...is this perhaps in the old boneyard space?

That is where I am guessing it was. It is really hidden back there. It was just to the right and far back of the log flume.

image.thumb.jpg.74115997124ace2da1d302014dc94331.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a2a861d3b16a96683eaa90f29c7bb160.jpg

I guess the Galaxi was removed.

• 2 weeks later...
^^ Ride Cornball Express as many times as possible!!

^Galaxi has already been removed. All that remains is the ride entrance sign.

Thanks! I'll be out there in late July for the first time.

Trip Report: Went up north to Chicago for three days to visit SFGAm and ride Goliath. On the way home coming south on I65, we stopped at this little park that sits about 20 miles off the interstate in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I only had about two hours to spend so I hope I could at least ride the coasters. I literally laughed at the surrounding "resorts" by the park as it looked like a redneck trailer park. They have two free parking lots but I chose to park at the VIP parking lot for $7 to be close. I first rode Steel Hawg, it was my first El Loco coaster and it was a blast. Second I rode the Hooiser Hurricane. I spent the majority of my two hours in line for this ride. The two girls working this ride were horrible at their job. I'm talking slow as slow can be about getting people on and off the ride. However, the ride itself was really good. I enjoyed it more than Cornball Express...Which was my third ride. Wasn't really a sign for the ride, well there was, but not much of one. I was really excited about riding this ride because I've heard so many good things about it, but after the ride, I left pretty beat up. It was fun, but rough as hell...The airtime on this coaster was pretty awesome. After that, I got in line for Tig'rr, but it shut down right before I got on due to weather concerns. Looking at the coaster, it didn't look like much so I just left the line. The Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain looked closed, so I just decided to leave the park. Over two hours and just three rides due to very slow operations at this park. I just went with higher expectations and left very disappointed. The water park looked dirty, some places smelled like a sewer and all over looked unclean. They had some other rides I want to experience but it'll just have to wait to I have more time to give the park. It's hard to judge a park on just two hours, so I'm just going to say, I hope my next visit is better.

I hope my next visit is better.

Don't count on it unless the park changes ownership. An RV company purchased the park from the Spackman family about 5 years ago. Before that, it was a consistently VERY clean and VERY well run park. All the nastiness has been documented all over the net, so I won't go into it. It's been very sad to see the park go downhill. It was always a sure bet for a great time. Now it's rundown and a very poorly run shadow of it's old self.

I used to go 3 times a year. My last visit was 2012 and it had gotten really sad. My plan is to get out there this year just to get some rides on the great classic Schwarzkopf Tig'ger before it's gone, too.

(BTW, the resorts were always a little "hick" looking, but very well maintained. Not everything can look like Cedar Fair or Disney. Some of the best stuff in the world is home made ).

... I got in line for Tig'rr, but it shut down right before I got on due to weather concerns. Looking at the coaster, it didn't look like much so I just left the line...

It may not look like much, but it's a great ride. I could just ride that thing all day long and be happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoosier Hurricane and a host of flats are closed today. Does anyone know if the coaster is down for good or just the result of a poorly maintained park and will reopen when they get around to it.

As a side note Steel Hawg is only running two trains and the one on the circuit is staying consistantly stacked. It's going to be a long day just for a couple rides on my way back to Chicago, folks.

^Eric. I was there on the 22nd of July and Hoosier Hurricane was closed then too. I spoke to several park employees and the outlook isn't good. It seems they are having "braking issues" with what i'm guessing is the final brake run before the station. Everyone I spoke to said that the downtime could be a while.

Hoosier Hurricane and a host of flats are closed today. Does anyone know if the coaster is down for good or just the result of a poorly maintained park and will reopen when they get around to it.

As a side note Steel Hawg is only running two trains and the one on the circuit is staying consistantly stacked. It's going to be a long day just for a couple rides on my way back to Chicago, folks.

Does anyone know if Dragon Wagon is open?

^Eric. I was there on the 22nd of July and Hoosier Hurricane was closed then too. I spoke to several park employees and the outlook isn't good. It seems they are having "braking issues" with what i'm guessing is the final brake run before the station. Everyone I spoke to said that the downtime could be a while.

Anyone have an update regarding Hoosier hurricane, was trying to plan a trip to Indiana beach, if it won't open this season doesn't matter when I plan it, however any update would be helpful.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Indiana Beach Trip Report:

My cousin and I went to Indiana Beach on Thursday July 3rd, 2014 and Friday July 4th, 2014. We rented a motel in Lafayette, which is about 10 miles from Indiana Beach for both nights. It only cost $120.94 for both nights. We didn't go on July 3rd as we got their late.

The next day we got up early to enter Indiana Beach at opening time. Arriving to Indiana Beach was an awesome experience. I felt as if I was taken back several decades. Many people have described the surrounding living accomidations to be trailer trash like, but I found it to be very interesting and nostaligic. Being that this was our first time there the parking situation was confusing. I don't remember seeing any signs saying free parking. We decided to park by the free parking lot closest to the front gate (not the one by the bridge).

I thought it was awesome to see the Indiana Beach workers getting out of their cars and walking up to the main entrance. We followed them. The ticket sale area is understaffed. There was a nice elderly lady working there, but she seemed overwhelmed. It took us about 15 minutes to pay for our tickets. Later in the day we saw long lines by the suspended bridge entrance point. I feel that is something they really need to work on. My home park Six Flags Great America has about the same lines, but theirs go by significantly faster and they have significantly more traffic in their park. Getting a braclet put on us added to the whole local carinval feel that I experienced by the traveling carnivals that came through my area as a kid.

So we enter the park and the first thing we saw was The Hawg. It's position in the park isn't ideal in my opinion. It would be nice if they were to put up some shade for those waiting in line. The ride was awesome and a very unique expeirence. I think we rode this about four times.

Before we got any rides we walked around the entire park. It has tons of rides for little kids. It has an arcade room. A boat that gives you a tour of the surrounding area. Just tons of carnival rides. Their ski-line takes you from one end of the park to the other. I'm afraid of stationary heights, so when the ski line stopped for a few minutes a feeling of sheer terror almost overcame my cousin and I. Weird as being up 200 feet on a coaster doesn't really phase us.

We rode Cornball Express ( 7 ) times and Hurricane Hoosier ( 5 ) times. After I rode the Cornball Express I told my cousin, "That was awesome, but I think Hellcat (at TimberFalls Adventure Park) is better". Cornball Express was a great ride, but I don't understand how it was ever ranked the # 1 wooden roller coaster by this site in 2002. Maybe the ride experience was different or newer back then.

The first two times I rode the Hurricane Hoosier it was rough. I was on the right side both times. It wasn't until I rode on the left side that the entire riding experience changed. It was then that I thought to myself Hurricane Hoosier is at the very least as good of a coaster as Cornball Express if not better.

One would expect since it was the 4th of July the park would be packed. It wasn't when it opened. Slowly people began to come in the park. By night there were thousands of people in the park standing on the boardwalk enjoying the fireworks. Even when all these people came in the lines for the Cornball Express and Hurricane Hoosier were nearly non-existent. The longest we had to wait was ( 3 ) rides to get on either coaster. Most of the time it was just get off and wait ( 1 ) time to get back on.

Riding Hurrican Hoosier at night with thousands of people below us with fireworks going off was an awesome experience I will never forget. I am a huge wooden roller coaster fan and both of their wooden roller coasters are great. I have never seen such a beautiful set up with wooden roller coasters that go through each other and are on a beach like this before.

I hear Hurricane Hoosier is down. I would like to go again, but if this ride is down for the rest of the year I will probably wait until next year.

Overall I think the value you receive at Indiana Beach is excellent. I would highly recommend others go to check out this park.

• 1 month later...