TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

^I was also there recently and had a great time. I haven't had time to resize & post all of the pictures I took, but will say that we really enjoyed our visit & I have to admit that I really did like those water swings!

We were going to stay at the newly remodeled suites but they were booked so we stayed at the Inn. While not the fanciest rooms, they were clean and had also been recently remodeled...and you can't get much better than walking out of your room and right into the amusement park!

Didn't realize how much ejector air you got on the Double Shot...I put my Oakley's in my cargo pocket and they came back out in two pieces because of how hard I hit the restraint when I was ejected up out of the seat! That ride was insane!

194.JPG.03711c7fc87296b60eff7c9656190820.JPG

LOL...fail!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
^Thanks for sharing that Robb! These S&S El Loco's look to be a lot more enjoyable than their predecessor Screamin' Squirrels.

They are actually very shaky and the restraints make Arrow feel like a soft gentle hug. Course the Operators at IB pushed down the OTSR's so It might not be as bad as I remember.

^Thanks for sharing that Robb! These S&S El Loco's look to be a lot more enjoyable than their predecessor Screamin' Squirrels.

You can't really compare them since Screamin Squirrels are just shaky, pointless, and give you concussion. EL Loco's have better elements but with similar restraints making them also painful because of them.

Could El Locos work with just lab bars? To me they are not very different from Eurofighters. I've not been on either type though.

The Green Lantern Coaster in Australia is an El Loco with overhead lap bars, and four-across trains to boot. But, to accommodate for those super-huge and heavy trains, the layout is larger compared to Steel Hawg, Mumbo Jumbo and Timber Drop.

^I'm looking forward to trying an El Loco with a lapbar. My only knock against Steel Hawg are the restraints, which I found to be very uncomfortable; but I did like the ride's layout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Longtime park owner, Thomas Spackman dies.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/558197498f6b42ef840be700b4a1872d/IN--Obit-Indiana-Beach-Owner

Longtime owner of Indiana Beach amusement park, known for 'more than corn' jingle, dies at 100

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

November 13, 2013 - 12:47 pm EST

MONTICELLO, Indiana — Thomas Spackman, who led the Indiana Beach amusement park for decades, has died at the age of 100.

Spackman died Monday at a Monticello nursing home, according to Springer-Voorhis-Draper Funeral Home.

His father, Earl Spackman, founded what was then known as Ideal Beach along Lake Shafer near Monticello in 1926. Thomas Spackman became the park's CEO in 1945 and changed the name to Indiana Beach seven years later.

Numerous rides and other attractions were added during his time at the helm of the park, which became known for its infectious television and radio commercial jingle "There's more than corn in Indiana."

Indiana Beach was drawing about 750,000 visitors a year when the Spackman family sold it and two nearby campgrounds in 2008 to New York-based Morgan RV Resorts.

Spackman was always willing to take risks to improve the park about 30 miles north of Lafayette, White County Community Foundation director Leslie Goss told the Journal & Courier (http://on.jconline.com/183gGMr ).

Goss recalled an 85-year-old Spackman taking the first leap when Indiana Beach added its first bungee jump.

"He wanted to test it and make sure it was safe for everyone else," Goss said.

Spackman was also known for his exacting nature, said Janet Dold, executive director of the Monticello Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau.

"You would always see him at Indiana Beach," Dold said. "He would walk the grounds and make sure everything was clean."

Spackman graduated from Shortridge High School in Indianapolis and received a business degree from Indiana University in 1937. He was married to his wife, Helen, for nearly 56 years; she died in 1993.

Spackman's funeral is scheduled for Friday at Monticello Christian Church.

• 2 months later...

It looks as if the park is removing the galaxy coaster.

They are also adding 3 new family rides as well. This is from there facebook page.....

Indiana Beach Announces Four New Rides for 2014 Season

Attractions added to expand Kiddyland and enhance family fun park-wide

(Monticello, IN) – Indiana Beach, Indiana’s largest and most popular amusement resort and vacation playground, announces the addition of four ‘funtastic’ rides for the 2014 season. The Baby Baron, Growler, Dragon Wagon and Rockin’ Tug are just the first of several upgrades planned this year.

Each of the new attractions was acquired with children and families in mind. The Baby Baron allows little ones to soar over Kiddyland, controlling their own bi-plane that rises and falls at the driver’s command. Also in Kiddyland, Dragon Wagon, offers an exciting ride for children seeking the thrill of their first roller coaster. Kids will get a rush while riding up and over hills and swerving around corners.

Families can take classic tea cups to the next level on the Growler. Four people will spin at a 20-degree angle, 7-1/2’ feet in the air, while the entire ride twists and turns. And finally, everyone can cruise on Rockin’ Tug, a small boat that gently spins, dips and peaks on ocean swells.

“We are excited to introduce these new attractions in 2014,” stated Bob Gallagher, Park President. “They add something fresh and fun for the families who visit year after year, and we hope they will be a draw for others considering a family vacation to Indiana Beach.”

“We also have to announce that after 42 years of thrilling guests from across the country, the Galaxi, our park’s first major steel coaster, is being retired. Fans and thrill-seekers can rest assured that plans are underway for a new thrill coming in 2015.” Mr. Gallagher further hinted, “There’s still more in store for 2014, be sure to watch for funtastic additional news.”

Indiana Beach will open for the season on May 10, 2014. Season passes are now available with exclusive perks for pass holders. To learn more, call (574)583-4141, or visit

Could El Locos work with just lab bars? To me they are not very different from Eurofighters. I've not been on either type though.

They most certainly can, but you cannot convert the old cars to them, because they use a unique system with their restraints than most other ride vehicles. So my guess is that we will not see any lap bars on any El Loco that is not sold from the start with them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In case you missed it, this was posted on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/IndianaBeachAmusementPark)

"Indiana Beach announces additional operating days and extended hours.

(Monticello, IN) – Indiana Beach, Indiana’s largest and most popular amusement resort and vacation playground has announced that additional park operating days have been added to the 2014 season. Park operating hours will also be extended on several days. This year will mark the 88th season that Indiana Beach will begin welcoming nearly one million annual guests through its gates.

The dates and extended hours added to the Indiana Beach Amusement and Water Park calendar will be: August 11, 12, 13 and 14 (11 am – 10 pm), August 15 (11 am – 11 pm) and September 6 (11 am – 6 pm). These additional dates will bring the total to 94 operating days that Indiana Beach will be open this season.

This season seven exciting new rides have been added to the park. Several new events and upgrades are also planned to continue the tradition of creating memories for young and old alike. Indiana Beach President Bob Gallagher stated, “Indiana Beach is here to create fun and happy memories for families to cherish for years to come. If you’re planning a summer family outing, Indiana Beach offers something for everyone.”

Indiana Beach has also adjusted the opening date for this season to May 23rd.

Indiana Beach President Bob Gallagher explained, “This winter has taken a toll on our crews preparing the park for opening. Also, with area schools extending their school calendar it has had an impact on the available workforce within the park. It’s unfortunate we’ve had to change the opening date but we want to make sure we are ready to provide our guests with a great experience.” Gallagher added, “Indiana Beach is adding seven new rides this year and having them up and running for our guests is a high priority.”

Gallagher finished by saying, “By adjusting our opening date this will allow us to prepare the park and hire staff in order to provide our guests with the fun experience they deserve.” "

• 2 months later...

I'm having trouble picturing...where is this? Clearly Cornball is above it in the foreground and Steel Hawg is in the background...is this perhaps in the old boneyard space?

I rode one of these Wisdom double-helix coasters in Florida. Decent ride but those drive tires are killers. Good thing the ride is "now featuring banked lift hill!"

So I'll be heading down to IB with a friend for a day trip on a weekend sometime in June or July. I'm coming from Chicago, so what time should we get there and in what order should we attack the park? I wanna ride everything with possible time for rerides on Cornball.