TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

The rides are looking great so far at Indiana Beach! I was there Monday checking out the progress. Trouble spots on Hoosier Hurricane and Lost Coaster are being smoothed out now, thanks to Rocky Mountain Construction. Cornball Express is completed and state certified. I threw a GoPro on Cornball to get a POV with some of the new re-tracking. Check out how smooth the first drop is, now! Also, you can see the Falling Star in it's new location where the swings used to be, and the swings are now back over the water. Here is the Cornball Express POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7bsQI7WGI

The rooftop lounge is getting roof work done and the entire bar has been remodeled. The bar itself is HUGE now and very nice looking. There is lots of fresh paint throughout the park as well. They have crews working 7 days a week out there to have the park ready for the 2013 season! Lots of great things going on.

Edited by ScottyDoesKnow

^Cool...thanks for sharing!

Looks like some good stuff going on at the park this year, so I am excited about visiting in June for the first time!

Any recommendations on the lodging options at the park or around the area?

Well, if you want to stay "on-property" the hotel has just undergone a simple facelift with new paint, carpet, bedding, furniture and flat TVs. Otherwise, if you have a large party the Beach Club duplexes are really nice. Those are the best bets at the park. Down the road 5 miles is blue door cottages, my personal favorite in town. Small, but really nice, with new everything. Full kitchens is a plus, and there is a bar across the street on the lake. There are also grills and fire pits at that resort.

If you don't mind driving, Lafayette is just about 40 min south and offers hotels from just about any chain you can think of.

Well, if you want to stay "on-property" the hotel has just undergone a simple facelift with new paint, carpet, bedding, furniture and flat TVs. Otherwise, if you have a large party the Beach Club duplexes are really nice. Those are the best bets at the park. Down the road 5 miles is blue door cottages, my personal favorite in town. Small, but really nice, with new everything. Full kitchens is a plus, and there is a bar across the street on the lake. There are also grills and fire pits at that resort.

If you don't mind driving, Lafayette is just about 40 min south and offers hotels from just about any chain you can think of.

Thanks for the info! I see that The Ideal Beach Suites (Formally known as the Penthouses) look like they have received a 2013 facelift and look like a good deal at $85 per night during the week...and includes admission to the park? This almost sounds too good to be true!

From their website:

The finest of Indiana Beach accommodations. These two-room, lake-view rooms have a balcony with a view of Lake Shafer and the Boardwalk Funway. Park gate admission, private pool and swimming pool are included with the Ideal Beach Suites.

Located over the Indiana Beach Boardwalk Funway, the Ideal Beach Suites offer comfortable bedding, maid service, and basic cable television. There are no phones in the room (or any Indiana Beach accommodations). Wi-Fi is available in the nearby Beach House Inn lobby.

Honestly, I have never had any interest in visiting Indiana Beach until now. It takes 4 hours to get there and I would rather spend that going to Kings Island. I went a few years ago and the place needed some TLC. This year, I plan on returning soon if all goes well with the renovations and revival.

Honestly, I have never had any interest in visiting Indiana Beach until now. It takes 4 hours to get there and I would rather spend that going to Kings Island. I went a few years ago and the place needed some TLC. This year, I plan on returning soon if all goes well with the renovations and revival.

It's definitely worth a visit. It was pretty run down when I visited a few years ago, but we still had fun. The Fascination game was fun, the walking tacos were great, and so were the elephant ears! Just don't expect any amazing rides, just some fun ones and a really odd one! The swings are actually really good as well.

It's definitely worth a visit. It was pretty run down when I visited a few years ago, but we still had fun. The Fascination game was fun, the walking tacos were great, and so were the elephant ears! Just don't expect any amazing rides, just some fun ones and a really odd one! The swings are actually really good as well.

It is looking better the last couple years. A lot of new paint made a world of difference. Much better last year than our visit in 2010. Cornball Express is a really good coaster.

Some other videos of Indiana Beach happenings:

Hoosier Hurricane and Cornball Express trains being loaded onto the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H0DwMYZCb4

2013 Tig'rr POV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LkkcEA3Q5U

I'll be at the park tomorrow, if anyone has any questions about the 2013 season please let me know and I'll try to get them answered. Enjoy!!

Philrad71: I don't think it includes park admission, just waterpark. But the penthouses or what ever they're called are NOT the best. I repeat, I would not recommend those.

Interesing to know...thanks for the advice. I was thinking that they looked okay, but almost a bit too Klassy - as in Karnival Kruise 80's style Klassy!

These pictures are from their website: http://www.indianabeach.com/pages/IdealBeachSuites

Definitely an odd design choice. Really though, while it's not the most amazing looking resort, at least they are doing something and trying to make it better. It's much better than them just letting it die like a lot of other parks. While there is a ton more work to be done, I'm glad that at least they've started to try.

idealsuites1.jpg.5b7140a2c5d973619b5a7726895de47a.jpg

idealsuites2.jpg.5d1e72aaa68c16b931e4d6354f790d22.jpg

idealsuites3.jpg.19d8a8b459df23f5a447292be542684b.jpg

Opening day is JUST AROUND THE CORNER for Indiana Beach! Rocky Mountain Construction is putting their final touches on Cornball Express, Lost Coaster, and Hoosier Hurricane. The rooftop lounge is looking great and should be ready for a memorial day opening. The newly relocated Falling Star may be a ways out from operating, but it should be ready to go during the summer. Here are some POV footage we shot of the re-tracked Lost Coaster and Steel Hawg!

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain 2013 POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmwbwdSSKys

Steel Hawg 2013 POV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKu7zWTJsNU

Enjoy!

Last Monday we had a cookout with the RMC crew. They can not only build one hell of a coaster, but they can cook one hell of a meal! Hats off to RMC!

Definitely an odd design choice. Really though, while it's not the most amazing looking resort, at least they are doing something and trying to make it better. It's much better than them just letting it die like a lot of other parks. While there is a ton more work to be done, I'm glad that at least they've started to try.

I agree. If I can stay at the Conneaut Lake campground, I should be able to handle the accomodations here without any problem at all!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading trip reports here for years on and off and finally I am going to one of the parks I have wanted to go to for years which is Indiana beach. I will be there june 10, and 11. Plan to arrive late in the evening on the 10th. I was wondering if you can get the spectator pass even if no one in your party is getting a ride pass. It will be a 11 hour drive for me on the 10th so I doubt I would want to ride coasters after that but would like to walk around the park at night. Thanks for any info.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there on Sunday and I think things are definitely heading in the right direction.Hurricane and Cornball had a lot of new wood and were running well.Cornball felt a little tamer than I recall,the spots of air I remember were not there but it was generally smooth.Hoosier Hurricane had one small jolt in the valley before the turnaround but much better than last year.LoCoSuMo is still a problem child though,it was up and down all day and I didn't get a chance to ride it.

There was a lot of new paint and signage and the employees seemed very friendly.It felt more like the Indiana Beach that we all like rather than the last couple of years that most would agree were forgettable.

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned home from my first ever Indiana Beach visit. What an awesome park!! Cornball Express was running great, with a lot of new track. Hoosier Hurricane was running great as well! Lost Coaster is definitely one of the oddest, yet coolest coasters I have ever done. They must've spent a lot of time on it, too, as not only did I find it to be a smooth- yet still crazy- experience, but I got 4 rides on it and didn't see it down once the entire day in the 9 hours I spent in the park!

There were a few rides out of commission. The splash battle is still empty with the ride vehicles "hiding" backstage. The Falling Star is not running- it had some construction equipment near it- hopefully it will be running sometime this summer, as I love Falling Stars. There was another ride near the entrance to Cornball which was disassembled, I couldn't tell what it was. Here's a picture I took of it.

The train was closed as well, but that may just have been due to the light crowd in the park today. Lost Coaster was only running one train and was the only coaster I really had to wait for- the queue was half to 3/4 full, though since it didn't break down at all it wasn't bad. Steel Hawg had 2 of its trains running, the same goes for Tig'rr. All other coasters were running one train as well, though they only had 1 to 2 train waits all day. The Lost Thieves dark ride was the only other ride with any real wait. It went down during the day for a bit but they quickly got it back open, although they only had 3 cars running, and one of the 3 cars was just getting sent through empty after the breakdown. Just a sidenote- Steel Hawg was my 100th steel coaster credit. Yay!

Last, but certainly not least, we have the water swings!! They still had some lighting laying on the platform of the ride waiting to be installed on the swings, but I'm glad to see the park has them running back where they belong! I must say, I was blown away with how fun they are. Being over the water is just awesome, and it is by far the best swing ride I've ever ridden. I took a pic of them on their water platform so you can bask in their awesome-ness.

Ooh, ahh! Sorry for the crappy framing. I got the lamp post right in the way. I'll do better next time!

I had a fantastic time! It seems to me they really are investing in the park a bit to keep it going and get it back to where it once was. With it being under a 2 hour drive away from me, I'll definitely be going back!