TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

John McLaughlin...HOLY CHRIST

I dont know who is into what kind of music...but I am a huge dork, and I listen to lots progressive rock from the 60s and 70s. Recently, my fiance and I acquired a turntable from her grandpa, so we went and bought some vinyl. Among the purchases was The Mahavishnu Orchestra's breakthrough debut record from 1971 "The Inner Mounting Flame."

Anyway, I threw this record on while I was cleaning up and hiding the wires in my new PC case. I finished up and kept listening while I fired my system up to make sure everything was working ok. I literally had to stop browsing the internet to give my undivided attention to the song "The Noonward Race."

HOLY CRAP!

If any of you play guitar...no matter what style you play...I sincerely suggest you either download that song or go purchase that album. It is absolutely amazing, and almost incomprehensible to think it was made over 30 years ago. This reccommendation extends out to drummers as well...because Billy Cobham is a MONSTER. That man could play.

I just felt I needed to share...we need to keep the prog flame burning!!!

More info on The Mahavishnu Orchestra, including free MP3s.

Edited by superfanthony

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded it from Easynews. It's not really my steez, but the guy is clearly a virtuoso. That actually may be not quite strong enough of a word. Amazing that I have never heard of him. You're right. That cat on the drums is kinda going off too.

Mahavishnu is indeed godly. If you like that, check out some other '70's fusion stuff, like Return To Forever, or the solo works of Al DiMeola or Jean Luc Ponty. For more current stuff, it's hard to beat Planet X or Derek Sherinian (he records under both titles).

dt