TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sheikra 1 Year Anniversary Ride

I just got an invite from ACE saying that Busch Gardens will be celebrating their 1 year anniversary of Sheikra next Friday May 19th. They will be celebrating by filming some promo videos of the ride with riders dressed as chickens! BGA will be providing the Chicken Suits.

It should be an interesting event. Will any ACERs from here be attending?

Have any other parks done anything like this?

On another AB note.. We went to Media Day for the new Shamu Express at Sea World this past Thursday. Shamu Express is a credit, but it is a tamest-of-the-tame kiddie coaster (sorry, no Flying Unicorn action here!).

We also got the chance to see the first viewing of the new Believe! Shamu show which I must say, I was impressed. One really cool thing they did is instead of having one huge 'jumbotron' screen like in the old show, there were 4 wide-screen jumbotrons that moved laterally on a track and rotated 360 degrees in both directions. This show really brings Shamu back to being the center attraction of the park!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another AB note.. We went to Media Day for the new Shamu Express at Sea World this past Thursday. Shamu Express is a credit, but it is a tamest-of-the-tame kiddie coaster (sorry, no Flying Unicorn action here!).

We also got the chance to see the first viewing of the new Believe! Shamu show which I must say, I was impressed. One really cool thing they did is instead of having one huge 'jumbotron' screen like in the old show, there were 4 wide-screen jumbotrons that moved laterally on a track and rotated 360 degrees in both directions. This show really brings Shamu back to being the center attraction of the park!

I was there Friday, and I agree on Shamu Express. Very tame. I wasn't expecting it to be open, so I wasn't prepared to take pictures and video, but I got some quick shots and on-ride video with my digital camera. They are at http://zansstuff.com/florida06/florida06.shtml#swf

I also saw Believe on Friday, and I don't know what show you saw, but I was thoroughly unimpressed. The show tried to be touchy-feely, but all they ended up doing was shifting the focus away from the whales and to the trainers. Instead of lots of stuff about the whales, there were lots of slow motion replays of the trainers jumping around and pumping their fists into the air after completing a trick and that video with the kid in the kayak. There was even one part where the trainers all ran out into the audience, accompanied by swelling dramatic music, to give everyone high fives. The whole thing seemed very self-congradulatory. Also, to top it off, the screens never moved -- the two center ones formed a single large screen and the two outer ones were never turned on. There are some pics of the show also at my web site.

Basically, Sea World should stop trying to be Disney (or Cirque du Soleil for that matter) -- they aren't very good at it -- and stick to the animals. There is nothing wrong with talking about the animals and trying to throw a little education into the mix. In Believe, the only time they actually mentioned the whales was when they told the little girl that they plucked from the audience that "Shamu had a gift for her" (the gift seemed to be a facefull of water).

PICT1073.thumb.jpg.5fedc361cb0fe4db19f4ddc1fb9e2d50.jpg

Shamu Express

PICT1063.thumb.jpg.1cedef200fb0e7976b41436dc83d19b7.jpg

One of the few major stunts during the show. They showed slow-motion instant replays of the trainer pumping his fists in the air after finishing this stunt throughout the show

PICT1062.thumb.jpg.bca5ee22733d89007c8b4df56d4cde94.jpg

The Believe stage, with the two non-working screens on the sides

I also was at SeaWorld on Friday and saw the last showing of "Believe." I, too, was unimpressed. I like the fact that they tried to add a story to the show, but at the same time, it took the attention away from the stars, the whales.

We had to hear the main story, plus mini-stories from the different trainers how they followed their dreams and BELIEVED in them. I only saw one big screen and it definitely didn't move. There were two big black things and I was curious what they were for. I figured they were hiding stuff.

I'd prefer the old show to this one.

I felt the Shamu show brought Shamu to the center of the park again for many different reasons. Now, that doesn't mean the show didnt have its negative points, of course.

I feel that the story line did add to the show as a whole. The shows target audience is children, so the show does a good job at attempting to inspire them. Plus, there is an interactive portion to the show (the Shamu chant) that gets the audience and especially the kids more into the show. There was plenty of interaction between the trainers and the whales, and Shamu did alot of the same stuff he did in the previous show, there was just a new added story line.

The negatives were, I could have totally done without the individual trainer story. That totally does detract from the focus of Shamu. The screens were pretty awesome and they did rotate and move (I took some pictures of their many different positions, and I will post them once I get the film back), however they can be distracting because of this. Also, they were filming the action from different angles to show on the screens, and they kept switching between the different angles at a rapid pace which took away from the action as well.

Overall though, I feel that Sea World did well remaking this show. It definately doesn't suck (like the new dolphin show), but it has some flaws.

Oh god, I was there with Ahect on friday. And we saw the cat, dog, rat, pig, and bird show, whatever it was called, saw the dolphin show, and the Shamu show. After the shamu show, where the screens must have been broken, and all the touchy feely BS, along with the dolphin show with all the birdmen, we decided that the cat and dog show was the best, and rode kraken til the park closed... I totally prefer the old Shamu show more... This new one was LAME in my opinion... And that shamu chant was just dumb...

Rob