TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

KICK BOODIE! Possibly the Greatest Ride Ever Created.

Hey BeemerBoy (and other Kick Boodie Enthusiasts),

I just read this thread and I thought of something I've seen in Italy once. The ride I'm talking about is your normal everyday chair swings but it's the activity that takes place on it. It's called "calcinculo" and the aim is to kick your friend in front of you high up!

It's not exactly the ride you're looking for but I guess it's the same idea

Here's a video of it, as seen on youtube (sorry for the bad quality, it's not mine, but it shows what I'm talking about)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAAZZQ--NHc

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ride is called "calcinculo" which literally means "kick in the bottom", deriving from the ingenious way used to grab the high-placed "tail" and win a free ride. Two people sit in contiguous seats, and the one sat behind kicks the friend higher in the air.

Wikipedia: Chair-O-Planes

Now we all have something new to search for!

I guess I'll be the first to say thanks!

Just discovered this thread.

Those look like real crazy rides.

Just watched a few other Calcinculo rides on youtube, and I just don't get it that obviously none of the people on it get seriously injured.

The german/dutch/belgian waveswinger, that's one crazy ride too. It looks like some of the riders are going to fall of the ride.

Made a quick search for "Kick Boodie carnival ride" and came up with this article.

I've done my fair share of similar searches, but never uncovered that one. Thanks for posting it! It definitely sheds some light on the situation.

The details of how Altif fell from the spinning swing, which had a safety chain that crossed the rider's lap, have never been established. The Morning Call reported the day after the accident that a friend who was on another of the ride's swings said Altif was reaching out to touch her when she fell from the chair-like swing.

George Stagakes of Fort Meyers, Fla., the ride owner, claimed that the safety chain contained a clasp similar to ones used by mountain climbers. It was unlikely that the clasp would have come loose by itself, he told The Morning Call after the accident.

This intrigues me. The details have never been established? Does this mean they were never "determined," or never "established" to the media? As the owner says, it's unlikely that the clasp would have come loose by itself.

Speaking from personal experience, I can attest to that. If memory serves me correctly, one end of the chain was permanently welded to the right side chairback of the swing. The open end was pulled across your lap where it rested pretty snug against your waist, and was fed through a hole in the left side of the chairback before being "doubled up" through that clasp, similar to what mountain climbers use.

Trust me, the ride was very simplistic in nature. If there was an accident, it wouldn't require a CSI team to find the reason, or cause of it. Either the lap chain broke, or the swing's cable snapped.....end of story. Personally, this sounds more like the restraint was tampered with prior to the ride starting. As mentioned, the chain did fit pretty snug, and speculatively speaking, I wouldn't put it past some idiot to reach back and try to "adjust" its fit around their waist.

I like to make a point of bumping this thread about every six months or so, just because the ride is so freakin weird! I really have to think someone has more pictures of this ride out there! I seriously can only find *three* on the intire internets!

Crazy!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm still amazed at how little information there is out there. I haven't given up trying to find the elusive video of it in action. I know there was at least one old friend who has it. Tracking it down has been tougher than finding D.B. Cooper though.

Wow that looks like the lamest ride ever. Stupid me was riding the zipper when i coulda had my foot up my friends A$$ on a cable.

mmmkay.

• 1 month later...

the owners name was george. dont remember his last name.i remember this at what was called the Cave City Good Ole Days. i have pics of it somewhere and dont know about a viseo but ill look and as far as knowing where it is id be interested in buying also. any further info would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks, anthony

• 1 month later...

I traveled w/ a carnival for over 18yrs, and kick booty was my favorite ride out there. I have not seen it again for about 20+ yrs now, and a few carnie buddies that still travel have not even seen it, so maybe it is the one someone saw in a field. I know the owners name was "George.... he had a wife and a son that traveled out there too. They were independent and didn't specifically travel with the show I was on.. so one day they went in another direction and I never saw that ride again. I would love to own one, it really was a fun ride. The carnies were always lucky enough to be the "guinea pigs" to test it out before the ride inspectors tested it too.

This post and a bunch of other carnival and fair posts today made me do another search for Kick Boodie, which of course, resulted in nothing.

I did find, however, this bizarre looking ride that was apparently owned by the same guy who owned Kick Boodie. I found the picture here:

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb86/pegasus2127/God%20Amusements%20by%20jlm/

It's called "Flight Trainer."

893010899_flighttrainer.jpg.867f15809f4a18082b7fc1c3c9bf2f5d.jpg

OMG! WTF IS THAT?!?!?

^^ Thank you, thank you, thank you for that!

I just got off the phone with the gentleman who owns it. I won't say too much right now, but I feel there's a very good chance we'll see Kick Boodie running again in the near future!!!

As for the owner, I have the utmost respect for this man. I literally called him at 9:30 on a Sunday evening out of the clear blue, and ended up having the most engaging half hour conversation regarding just about everything. His family is truly good people, and their love for Kick Boodie runs deep. Seriously, I can't express how impressed I am right now.

Anyway, I should be able to share a lot more with you very soon about the happenings with the past, present, and future state of the ride....including video!!

^^ Thank you, thank you, thank you for that!

I just got off the phone with the gentleman who owns it. I won't say too much right now, but I feel there's a very good chance we'll see Kick Boodie running again in the near future!!!

As for the owner, I have the utmost respect for this man. I literally called him at 9:30 on a Sunday evening out of the clear blue, and ended up having the most engaging half hour conversation regarding just about everything. His family is truly good people, and their love for Kick Boodie runs deep. Seriously, I can't express how impressed I am right now.

Anyway, I should be able to share a lot more with you very soon about the happenings with the past, present, and future state of the ride....including video!!

Glad to hear things are looking good. Looking forward to hearing more soon.

If I become a ride designer, I WILL MAKE IT A PRIORITY to make this ride! If you give me a few pictures, I'll save them and (if I get an engineering degree; I'd like to make rides when I grow up) try to make a ride just like it! It sounds like an awesome concept.

BE SURE TO CHECK COPYWRIGHTS FIRST!!!! MRS BOODIE