TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

KICK BOODIE! Possibly the Greatest Ride Ever Created.

That was truly amazing. I can't believe how crazy the ride looks. Sadly I can't watch the POV section for very long as it is the first thing ever that has given me motion sickness from a screen. Not sure if it is the interlacing or what but it is a bummer because it was huge fun watching up to that point.

Thanks so much for sharing it though. Really great to finally get a feeling for how the ride really works.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the only ride on earth that truly frightens me. I was at the Allentown Fair in 1977 where they had a very similar ride. During operation at nearly full speed, two young girls attempted to connected & one of the swings malfunctioned. I don't recall all the specifics of the accident since I was only 5 & was some time ago, but after discussing with my mom, I believe that a bolt or clip failed and the entire chain & chair became detached from the arm of the ride.The girl flew over one stand & crashed through a speed pitch setup. I did actually witness the accident but was at the fair that night & actually remember that I was playing the Goldfish Ball toss when the Ambulance showed up.

Read back over page 8, and this, which I believe is what you've mentioned.

Although I'd like to say more, I'm not at liberty to discuss the details. After speaking with the owner, I'll just say I'm satisfied with knowing what I know.

And for the record, it's every other carnival ride that doesn't have individual private ownership that concerns me a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Where do I start?

First, Thank you George for creating Kick Boodie!!!!

Second, thank you beemer for this thread. I signed up just for this.

I worked on the show that George played on while in florida, Amusements of America, and still do as ride maintenance. We all miss you and your family. Kick Boodie was and still is the greatest ride ever built in my book!!!

I was younger then, riding with the McGuire kids on "carnie" rides that they would have for us sometimes before opening or right when the show closed. We were experts sometimes leaning perfectly sideways in the seats to catch our partners. We are all still in touch with each other on facebook although Old George McGuire, our electrician back then but not Kick Boodie George, just passed away.

George would switch his voice to sound like donald duck.

No body mentioned that the ride ran on propane yet.

Yes there was a smaller version he made called "Kid Boodie"

I still ask Morris Vivona about it and he just says it got regulated out of business. I think for the states we play anyway. I'd love to see it in operation again.

We're still doing our thing and are in our second spot of the 2011 season!

I just posted this thread on my facebook page so expect a lot of old timers to show up shortly paying their respects

• 2 months later...

I worked for babe vivona in the 80>s and rode kick boodie many times , knew George and his wife very well i thought he was going to build a 32 seater to enlarge the ride guess it never happened , The greatest ride ever in a Carnival. I cant believe there is a bold about but i see i was wrong , too all my old carney pals hope life is treating you well , love to hear from any of you on here , Later woodstock

• 1 month later...

I have been wonderin' what happened to that thing!!! It is absolutely my favorite ride!!! I rode it at the Jefferson County Fair in Jefferson City, TN back in the late 80's/early 90's. It was there at least 3 to 4 years in a row, best I remember. I've always kept hoping I would see it again! I would drive for miles to ride it again!!

I always felt safe even with the simple lap chain. I loved the free range of motion you had. I would bend, twist, lean over as far as I could to grab a hand, finger, arm, leg, shoe, or swing just to get back in tandem to "kick it" again!!!! What I'd give to ride it again!!! Many, many thanks to Beemer Boy, RedB, and everyone else for this thread and locating THE RIDE...KIck Boodie!!!

this is amazing.

that ride looks absolutely NUTS. deranged. in no way safe, sane, or legal.

needless to say, i would kill to ride it someday!

second: it is amazing to hear from all these old-time carnies and carnival goers who remember the thing fondly. this is a truly great thread right here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
^ I'm still working hard, and doing everything I can to save it for all of us!

I know it's been a while, but any update? I would love to see it brought back. I could only imagine how fun a TPR takeover would be!

• 7 months later...

I have been reading this from beginning to end and a lot has warmed my heart with great memories and some has made me a little angry. But then I just stop to think, you can't believe everything you read on the internet! So I would like to take this time a CORRECT some misunderstandings that have been put out there, If I May. If Morris Vivona made the statement that "Kick Boodie was regulated out of business" then he was wrong. We have never been banned from any State, any Fair or Festival. As far as Kick Boodie being safe, well if the facts be known, there probably isn't a ride made that hasn't had one kind of an accident or another. So choose you poison! For many year we were independent operators with the big shows. Then we decided that we could do better on our own and we did for many more years just showing in the State of Kentucky where we retired. George was in and accident in 2004 that really damaged his health. He was left with only 17% of his heart function. That is why he could no longer travel so we retired here in KY. He did not pass away in 2011 as was posted by some one else. But I do regret to inform everyone that he did just pass away on 5-23-13 at 9:32pm in my arms. We were married for 30 years and "THE KICK BOODIE MAN"

WILL live on FOREVER in our memories!!! Posted by his wife: Mrs. Boodie

I hate to double post, but in this case it's worth it. I also hate to be vague or cryptic, but even in light of the awful news of George's passing (the ride's creator), I can tell you that some very good news is on the horizon. Stay tuned!!!

• 3 months later...

Mrs. Boodie I will miss the ride no doubt. My sister and I was the Aces in Tenn. all though I was called TINY, was far from it. Sorry about George will surely miss him. plz email me rc8694@yahoo.com As far as the ride KICK BOODIE only Rosie can help assist with the ride. As far as safety, rides are as dangerous as the person makes them while in operation. Sure do miss the adrenaline rush.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

I just had to revisit this! Someone came today at our fair and asked specifically about Kick Boodie.

After watching the video again, it shocked me that I know who was operating the ride when George and Mrs Boodie were riding. 

Alan Mcguire stepped out of the operator's station and Paul Zihlmann was talking to Mrs Boodie at the gate.

Mrs Boodie, sorry about my comment about Morris. I was just repeating what I was told. I always hold you and George with the highest regard.

Thank you for such fond memories.