TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

Well Wicked is taller, but Maverick is longer. Wicked is listed under RCDB as having 4.8 G's, and the price range of Maverick is more than double that of Wicked. But I think we all know those factors have little to nothing to do with how "fun" the ride will be.

IMO, Wicked looks tight, compact and quick. And for some reason I have a feeling parts of Maverick will be fun, but will have the drawn out, over-engineered flow of MF.

Vertical launch? I'm game.

Just north of Salt Lake City, Utah.

Farmington, Utah, to be painfully OCD...

Anyway, as a frequent visitor to Lagoon, I have a tip for anyone planning on this credit... go on Sunday... The park was so empty one time, I rode spider 5 times in a row... I won't even talk about how many time's I went on fire dragon!

Overall...

OMG I'M EXITED AWESOME COASTERNESS OMGOMGZMBROFLDING!!!!

*spaz*

^You do realize my point of saying North of Salt Lake City is because had I said "Farmington, Utah" or given an address or coordinates is because that still wouldn't mean anything to the person who asked!

At least relating it to a major city gives them an idea of where the place is!

Is everyone sure that Intamin is not the one manufacturing the the track for Zierer.

It is certainly more than likely that the track was fabricated by Intamin. Similar to the situation with Arrow and Vekoma --- Arrow used to fabricate rolling stock and track parts for Vekoma, which is why a lot of Arrow and Vekoma coasters look very similar.

The Track is coming out of Germany from the Zierer Plant, not Switzerland and the Intamin Plant. I see many differences in the Zierer Track Compared to Intamin Track. The reason the track may utilize 3 Rails like Intamin Coasters is because Stengel Designed Wicked.

Mikecoolguy, the Thickest Rails on any Coaster would go to the B&M Dive Machines due to their Load, especially Griffon's.

- Sid

^You do realize my point of saying North of Salt Lake City is because had I said "Farmington, Utah" or given an address or coordinates is because that still wouldn't mean anything to the person who asked!

Yeah... sorry >.<;

I'm just anal about that...

*needs help*

Hey Guys, Here's a Link to a New Article on Wicked from a Local News Paper.

Lagoon gears up for ‘wicked’ fun

Clipper 06.FEB.07

FARMINGTON — The name is Wicked, but the fun will be heavenly. And the only place in the world to find it will be at Lagoon. Roller coaster fanatics will be able to feel their pulses race this spring when Lagoon opens what park officials are calling its most thrilling one-of-a-kind roller coaster ride in its history.

This much-anticipated tower launch coaster with state-of-the-art high thrill elements will go by the appropriate name of “Wicked.”

Lagoon Executive Vice President of Marketing Director Dick Andrew said Wicked is expected to thrill riders of all ages with its several original features.

“This ride is unique because it’s the first ride of this type in the world, and there really isn’t another one out there with this configuration,” he said. “It’s a step up from anything else we have here, and it has many exciting elements not found in any coaster. We anticipate that Wicked will be well-received by the public and that 2007 will be perhaps our most exciting season ever.”

For one of Wicked’s most interesting twists, riders will be launched to the top of a tower reaching higher than 100 feet while traveling at spine-tingling speeds close to 40 mph. This element is especially unique as most roller coasters only slowly lift riders to the top of the first hill and let gravity do the rest. Wicked riders will instead be propelled by means of a Linear Synchronous Motor (LSM) drive system designed to essentially rocket riders up and over the top of the first hill.

Wicked’s comfortable eight-rider vehicles travel individually and achieve speeds up to 55 mph while passing through steep valleys, high bank turns, half-pipes, heart-roll inversions and more. Riders will be seated in two rows of four facing forward with the back row seats elevated above the front row. The lap and leg restraints will provide exhilarating upper body freedom for riders.

The approximate dimensions of Wicked include a width of 112 feet, a depth of 404 feet, a height of 110 feet and a track length of 2,000 feet. The total amount of time for each ride cycle is projected to be 2 minutes and 36 seconds.

With construction on Wicked currently in operation, Andrew said the grand opening should happen rather soon during this spring.

“We hope for our opening to be sometime in early April, and we shall see if that’s still the plan,” he said. “Wicked will also cost an excess of $10 million to build.”

Lagoon Engineer Dal Freeman said that with its superactive size and speed, Wicked will be the premier roller coaster for the park when it opens.

“This ride has been designed specifically for Lagoon, and it will be the tallest and fastest coaster at the park,” he said.

Zierer of Offenberg Germany is the company manufacturing Wicked. Once it opens to the public, Wicked will also be included with every Ride and Season Passport offered by Lagoon.

With hopes of much-expected success for Wicked, Andrew said Lagoon is sure to have plans for a new ride each year.

“Every year we will try to add something new to Lagoon, although it won’t always be of the same magnitude as Wicked,” he said. “Occasionally we will have a ride that we feel has run its course, but we mostly just like to add to our inventory of rides.”

For additional information on Wicked contact Dick Andrew at 451-8062, or for information on Lagoon’s other thrilling rides call 451-8000 or visit the Web site at www.lagoonpark.com.

dradunich@davisclipper.com

- Sid

Wow sticklandcc. we are on the same page. that was the 1st thing i thought about as i scrolled through the pics then came to ur post and see u were thinking the same thing. I would think that the horshoe especially would be hairline fracture central. but I guess the speed we are anticipating by looking at the part of the coaster that leads to those spots we're eyeing, may be slower than we think. breaking somewhere that we don't yet see maybe.

Mikecoolguy, the Thickest Rails on any Coaster would go to the B&M Dive Machines due to their Load, especially Griffon's.

- Sid

On the news reports I've seen (I'm thinking mainly on the KSL 5 report on the news) it's said that Wicked's rails are the thickest ever made.

If you look at those pictures too, you can see the part where it will through the tunnel. yay tunnel!

Mike 8)

^ The Bat is Only a Vekoma Jr. Hang N' Bang..........Nothing Special. Roller Coaster, Fire Dragon, Jet Star 2, and The Spider are worth the Stop.

I have no idea, but I think what they meant by thickness, is the thickness of the steel, not the diameter of the track tube.

I was referring to both when I was talking about Load.

- Sid

• 2 weeks later...