TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

looks fantastic to me!, just a question, if Intimin's track design is based upon that of g'forces, why do some "high-G" spots have only the "two-rail" design(such as the horse-shoe\highly banked turn) here. On many of his coasters, the heartline roll is only constructed of the two rail design(heavy load while inverted), however some of the lower-G spots(maverick's top of 95 degree(negative g'forces)) are that of three or four rails... I understand the part of structural rigidity, but sometimes, his methods\desings don't conform...HMMM...

Dan "the slightly confused" Strickland

Some high g places may only have two rails but notice that you'll see that the supports are placed closer together. Most of the time it's done that way because it is cheaper to have only 2 rails and more supoorts but would provide the same amount of strength as 3 or 4 rails and less supports would.

looks fantastic to me!, just a question, if Intimin's track design is based upon that of g'forces, why do some "high-G" spots have only the "two-rail" design(such as the horse-shoe\highly banked turn) here. On many of his coasters, the heartline roll is only constructed of the two rail design(heavy load while inverted), however some of the lower-G spots(maverick's top of 95 degree(negative g'forces)) are that of three or four rails... I understand the part of structural rigidity, but sometimes, his methods\desings don't conform...HMMM...

Dan "the slightly confused" Strickland

I not sure, but I think the two rail, three rail and 4 rail have to do with the stress the train is putting on the track.

looks fantastic to me!, just a question, if Intimin's track design is based upon that of g'forces, why do some "high-G" spots have only the "two-rail" design(such as the horse-shoe\highly banked turn) here.

Great question!

My impression: Money. Technically, they can build the entire ride as a 2-rail, I'm assuming Zeier (sp) gives a 3-rail and 4-rail option for those that want to spend more, it's more durable, and less likely to be retracked in 10 years. (And probably gives a better ride.) The more money you want to spend on the ride, the more 3/4-rail track you get. This ride obviously was on a budget, and they only worried about the major high points of the ride. (Which would be the most difficult to replace and maintain.)

Just some thoughts, no facts...

Wow, I remember seeing this earlier and thinking it looked like Gerstlauer, but now when I see it, it DEFINITELY looks like an Intamin (and not just in the track style either). That inversion looks insanely similar to Maverick's twisted horseshoe inversions, Zierer is definitley steppping it up here.

looks fantastic to me!, just a question, if Intimin's track design is based upon that of g'forces, why do some "high-G" spots have only the "two-rail" design(such as the horse-shoe\highly banked turn) here.

Great question!

My impression: Money. Technically, they can build the entire ride as a 2-rail, I'm assuming Zeier (sp) gives a 3-rail and 4-rail option for those that want to spend more, it's more durable, and less likely to be retracked in 10 years. (And probably gives a better ride.) The more money you want to spend on the ride, the more 3/4-rail track you get. This ride obviously was on a budget, and they only worried about the major high points of the ride. (Which would be the most difficult to replace and maintain.)

Just some thoughts, no facts...

Zierer Designed and Manufactured the Running Track with Load and Upright/Support Column Placement in mind. The latest Construction Pictures show the 3 Rail Track used on the First Half of the Ride where Uprights are placed further apart, where as the Half Pipe uses Closely Spaced Uprights with 2 Rail Track. I can't see why Wicked would need to be retracked in 10 years regardless of how many Rails are used, I mean Fire Dragon hasn't been torn down since it arrived in '83 and hasn't needed any new track.

- Sid

Wow. That looks so much like Intamin track it isn't even funny! Gotta love the triangular track. Green is really a great color I didn't think would look that good on Intamin track (even if it isn't Intamin).

Although it looks as if the rail doesn't line up quite right here. (Next to the support in the middle).

Zierer Designed and Manufactured the Running Track with Load and Upright/Support Column Placement in mind. The latest Construction Pictures show the 3 Rail Track used on the First Half of the Ride where Uprights are placed further apart, where as the Half Pipe uses Closely Spaced Uprights with 2 Rail Track. I can't see why Wicked would need to be retracked in 10 years regardless of how many Rails are used, I mean Fire Dragon hasn't been torn down since it arrived in '83 and hasn't needed any new track.

- Sid

Glad someone seems to know something. LOL I don't think I've ever personally experienced a Zierer ride. (Heck, I have yet to ride an Intamin!!!) I'm sure maybe one of their spin-n-barfs, but unknown to me.

When I saw this on the homepage, I thought that it must be an Intamin rocket being built that I hadn't heard of. If I hadn't of been told, I would have never guessed from the photos that it's a Zierer. Perhaps there's some kind of agreement between them and Intamin, sort of like the thing with Intamin and Giavinola. But I should think that it's simply a blatant copy. The only thing that gives you a clue that it may not be an Intamin is the zero G roll and the horse-shoe turn as the support style and transitions are identical.

This is certainly a huge leap for Zierer in terms of coasters considering that they have only really built family and kiddy coasters. I hope to see more of these in the future as this looks to be a decent coaster

Cool, I read a topic before it hit the homepage. I remember seeing construction of this when it first went vertical but never saw anything afterwards. This really DOES look wicked! Maybe I can get out there some day and ride it.

I have to agree with everyone I love the colors of the track, this is a great go for Zierer.

-Justin

I can't wait for this thing to open. I'm going to be working at Lagoon for pre-season this year, so I'll be one of the first to ride. WOOT WOOT! The track does look a lot like Intamin, but it's not......The rails are a lot thicker. They're the thickest rails on any roller coaster in the world. Why these are needed? I have no idea.

Mike 8)

Is everyone sure that Intamin is not the one manufacturing the the track for Zierer.

It is certainly more than likely that the track was fabricated by Intamin. Similar to the situation with Arrow and Vekoma --- Arrow used to fabricate rolling stock and track parts for Vekoma, which is why a lot of Arrow and Vekoma coasters look very similar.

Is everyone sure that Intamin is not the one manufacturing the the track for Zierer.

It is certainly more than likely that the track was fabricated by Intamin. Similar to the situation with Arrow and Vekoma --- Arrow used to fabricate rolling stock and track parts for Vekoma, which is why a lot of Arrow and Vekoma coasters look very similar.

I was always under the impression that Arrow licensed their track design to Vekoma, Vekoma manufacturered the track, but used Arrow trains for the first few years of the deal.

--Robb