TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

How have things been at Lagoon lately? Making a spite-Steel-Curtain-trip over October 15th weekend. 

Everything open and running?

Looks like there's only options for single day tickets or a season pass, no 2 day tickets? 

Saturday vs Sunday: Saturday park is open 10am-11pm, Sunday 10am-8pm. Is Sunday the better day to go?

Lyft/Uber to the park from downtown pretty easy? Looking to not rent a car.

Thanks everyone!

Last i've heard everything is open but beware, Cannibal likes to randomly break down and be down for hours so get on it right away if its open

Sundays are always less busy than Saturdays but Frightmares is going on right now so it'll still be busy

Lagoon is right off of the freeway so an uber/lyft is super easy

Have fun!

• Thanks 1

It's right off the freeway, but if you're coming from downtown SLC, it's still about a 20-30 minute drive, so be aware.

I was there over the summer, and didn't notice much down.  Cannibal was running all day long, and once you got through the bag check portion of the line (right at the main entrance of the ride), it was only about a 15 minute wait.  Line for Spider crawled.  I did enjoy eating at the Biergarten, great atmosphere.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

going to be in town and decided to hit up lagoon Thursday night and Friday but getting a bit worried about the cold weather.  Anyone know when they stop running the coasters? is it 42 degrees like other parks?  I assume most of Friday will be fine as it says high in the 50s, but still don't want to fly from ohio and get shut down! Friday night looks really cold

8 hours ago, octoroach said:

going to be in town and decided to hit up lagoon Thursday night and Friday but getting a bit worried about the cold weather.  Anyone know when they stop running the coasters? is it 42 degrees like other parks?  I assume most of Friday will be fine as it says high in the 50s, but still don't want to fly from ohio and get shut down! Friday night looks really cold

One of my visits in late October 2019, it was in the upper 30s in the evening if I recall correctly and they were running everything. They will definitely run rides in the 40s unless there is severe precipitation or thunder. Lagoon's weather and operation policy is actually quite good and reliable. If the forecast is in the 40s and 50s you should be golden.

• Like 1

thanks for the info, my last cold weather coaster trip was 2019 at dollywood so I'm all good riding in freezing temps, just wanted to make sure stuff would be running before i buy their terribly overpriced ticket for Thursday night lol

• 2 months later...

They had a fire at Lagoon yesterday. Destroyed the Candy Store and kids bumper cars.

From the park's Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pg/lagoonpark/posts/?ref=page_internal):

"Thank you to the dedicated fire fighters and Lagoon employees who worked all night long to minimize damage and save other structures.

It is with great remorse that we announce that Carousel Candy and the Children’s mini bumper cars were lost in the fire.

As always, Lagoon is dedicated to providing a safe, fun park for families to enjoy for many years to come. We are already making plans to rebuild for the upcoming season.

In 1953, this same time of year, the Lagoon Midway was destroyed by fire. The park opened on time in 1954….. and Lagoon will do the same in 2022."

The cause has not been determined, but apparently it started earlier in the day and was extinguished by employees but it reignited later. I guess that some historic carousel horses were on display in the candy store, although they did not comment on their status.

Looks like at least some of the remains have already been largely demolished already.

(Photos from Farmington Fire Department Facebook)

image.png.31b597879f9c56daf4e886ea49ca40c8.png

image.png.b7d771909a7420f5309f53d92f98b2ff.png

image.png.d3abdf0790ac8169f99d532c353732dd.png

More info from local news article: https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/breaking-crews-respond-to-fire-at-lagoon

^I guess they were trying to provide an example of how resilient they are and their plans to rebuild? I see where you're coming from though, especially since the aforementioned fire was almost 70 years ago.

This is very unfortunate, especially considering the candy store was just recently renovated in the last couple years and was a great shop to visit. Here's to hoping they can get back on their feet. I believe in you, Lagoon!

• 3 months later...

Can someone explain in more detail the boarding procedures for Jet Star 2?  For instance, if nobody in my family decides to ride with me (or backs out when we get there), can I work my way to the front of the line and just wait to hopefully pair up with somebody in the boarding area at the last minute once there is another single rider, or are the staff very strict and attentive about not allowing people to enter the line unless they have a riding partner?  Also, hypothetically, if my younger son and two of his friends decide to ride as a pair of 3, do they need to declare that at the entrance of the line or can they enter the loading area and decide at the last second?  If they ride in a pair of 3, can they sit in the front of the train, or are the 3 seaters required to be in the middle or back section of the car?

5 minutes ago, Natalie2560 said:

Anybody there?

I don't know the answer to the question, but I do know that you should give people more than two and a half days.  Lagoon isn't a heavily trafficked park here, and I'm not even sure if we have any locals that might be able to provide an answer.

If it's an urgent issue, you should call the park or try messaging them on social media.

11 minutes ago, tanthonyam said:

Well when I went last year, I just waited in the line until the ride op found a partner for me, or just ended up putting me with 2 small kids in the seat.

Do they pre-sort you into groups prohibiting you from entering the boarding area alone unless you know who you are riding with?  Or is the entire boarding area open whereby a single rider can just wait to ask to ask if they can ride with somebody on their own?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone have any insight to what the crowds are like on a Sunday versus a Monday in July at the park? Obviously a Monday should be less crowded, but trying to figure out just how busy to expect a Sunday at Lagoon. Other option would be to go on a Friday, but we would only be able to go from opening until about 3 PM. Not sure if that is enough time (5 hours) 

On a side note, I was also wondering if there was any sort of Primordial update.  Seems like news on the front has gone pretty quiet, and we're in the summer season now... weren't they hoping to have it open by now?

There have been some testing videos shared on social media over the last couple weeks, and some progress on the station and entrance walkway to the ride. I would be very surprised if it opens this season.

Given it's already late July, I think 2024 is more likely.

They begun work on this ride in early 2019 (maybe even fall 2018). People gave Disney a lot of crap for Tron taking so long but this isn't too far behind lol. I guess they're really spreading out the investment.

I mean, it is an in-house designed coaster being built by a truly independent amusement park.  Did anyone (who wasn't a flaming moron) give Knoebel's any crap for Flying Turns taking 6 years?

That said, Lagoon is partially hosting an event in early October of this year, and Primordial was promoted as part of it... so they at least expected to have it open this year (the event was promoted just a month or two ago).  Could always change, of course, but wondering if I should get my hopes up at all.

• 1 month later...

Apparently Primordial is now open to season pass holders: Primordial open

i didn’t know it was going to be like a bigger version of Wonder Mountain’s Guardian, but that is what it sounds like based on the article.  It’s been 11 years since my first and only visit to Lagoon.  I loved the park and really enjoyed the SLC area. Guess I need to start saving!  

• 2 weeks later...

ACE fall conference was this past weekend at Lagoon. Primordial is indeed open to the public, we got some ert on it Friday afternoon before park open. Which was a very good thing because it has an average of a 1 1/2 - 2 hour wait Fri night and most of the day on Sat. Yes, an update version of Wonder Mountain's Guardian BUT a few significant differences at the end of the ride. Don't want to say more and be a spoiler......but you should do it more than once if you are there and able. Feel free to message me if you want the exact details.

I really enjoyed the park. It was both more polished and bigger than I thought it would be. Halloween event was going on of course, no scare zones but nice decorations and the 5 mazes were well staffed, free with your regular ticket (unless you bought the fastpass) and comparable to most SF/CF parks. The standout were the shows. They had some really high quality Halloween shows and one in particular, Seance was very different, in the best way, from most theme park shows. That one was an upcharge but well worth it in my opinion and if anyone has a chance to go I strongly advise you to be one of the "volunteers".

Side note: According to my son their flyers are just about as snappable as the ones at Knoebles.

• Like 2