TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

^^Thanks for the TR. I really think at this point most of us visiting parks have to assume that there will be very little Covid compliance and we have to make our own choices. We're fully vaccinated, wear our masks, and distance as best we can from others. I'll be pretty comfortable visiting parks this summer but I totally understand people who aren't. 

• Like 2

I'm vaccinated so I'm not at all worried about myself, just seems like a false sense of security for people who aren't vaccinated to read the FAQ on the website and then have none of it enforced in the park.

Idk, maybe I just enjoyed the year of not having people breathing on me lol. Plus I live in the only state in the country that still thinks amusement parks are still unsafe regardless of Covid rules so I might be kind of jaded by the hysteria around here.

• 3 months later...

Going to Lagoon soon with 2 of my friends for the first time.  What historical rides are at the park (25+ years old)?  What historical rides do you recommend?  Had a few questions, but how does Jet Star II board?  If there are 3 of us, does the sign say 2 adults + 1 child or do they usually just put a group of 3 in one seat even if we are all adults?  How does that work?  And can 3 sit in front?

4 hours ago, Natalie2560 said:

Going to Lagoon soon with 2 of my friends for the first time.  What historical rides are at the park (25+ years old)?  What historical rides do you recommend?  Had a few questions, but how does Jet Star II board?  If there are 3 of us, does the sign say 2 adults + 1 child or do they usually just put a group of 3 in one seat even if we are all adults?  How does that work?  And can 3 sit in front?

Lagoon has many historical rides. By your definition of 25+ years, that would qualify Roller Coaster, Colossus the Fire Dragon, Jet Star II, Puff, and many of the flat rides like Centennial Screamer, Rock-O-Plane, Flying Aces, etc. I would honestly recommend all of these rides if you get the chance, depending on your taste in coasters and your tolerance for spinning, etc.

The seats on Jet Star 2 must hold a minimum of 2 people (no single riders), and it may hold 3 if possible, but usually only for 3 smaller kids. Fitting 3 adults is almost impossible. 2 adults and 1 child would also be a very tight squeeze. It all depends on the size of the guests but the seats may hold 2 or 3 people, just not a single rider.

• Like 1

We were just there about a week ago.  Jet Star II requires two riders per seat.  We were to grown adults, and we barely fit in together.  Three adults is pretty much going to be impossible.

We were pleasantly surprised that for Cannibal, once you get past the main queue entrance (where someone will be screening to make sure you have no loose items and if so, put them in a locker--this process takes forever), the rest of the line moves really fast.  Wait time with a full queue from the entrance line to boarding was about 15 minutes.  Lines for Spider really crawled (no pun intended).  Lines for Colossus/Fire Dragon really flies and rarely has a line.

Really, nearly all their rides are generally not found in other parks, so hit as many as you can.  Don't miss their two dark rides, and their unique collection of flat rides.  Also, if you bring a Coke can, you get $9 each person's admission at the gate (up to 6 people for one can).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

None of the articles mention it, but word is he intentionally slipped out so he could do pull ups but then couldn't pull himself back up into the gondola.

https://kutv.com/news/local/man-sent-to-hospital-after-falling-off-lagoon-sky-ride

FARMINGTON, Utah (KUTV) — A man fell off the Sky Ride at Lagoon early Saturday evening and an emergency medical crew took him to a hospital, but the park said it has "no reason to believe there was a malfunction with the ride."

A photo taken before the fall, sent to 2News by Victoria Taylor, showed the man clinging to the ride, dangling above the park.

"An adult male came off the Sky Ride," said Lagoon spokesman Adam Leishman. "He was transported off the park for medical services."

The man was believed to be in his early 30s.

It was unclear how far the man fell, or where he landed. The ride, a chair lift, goes each way from the north to south ends of the park. The fall occurred on the north side.

Lagoon officials said the Sky Ride has been safe for nearly 50 years.

"The Sky Ride has been operating at Lagoon, without incident at the park, since 1974," said Leishman. "Every ride on the park undergoes intense safety inspections. This received an inspection Saturday morning.

"This operates exactly like every chair lift at every ski resort here in Utah," he said, adding Lagoon receives a permit to operate the Sky Ride under an entity known as the Utah Ropeway Passenger Safety Committee.

A website from the Utah Department of Transportation said the panel "ensures the safety of passengers using aerial tramways, surface lifts and tows."

Leishman, who has been at Lagoon for 30 years, said he could not recall another time in his tenure when someone has fallen off a ride.

"Not in my time here, no, fortunately no," Leishman replied. "We're deeply concerned for the individual and his family. We're also deeply concerned for the employees and guests who were impacted by this event."

The Farmington Police Department was conducting an investigation of the incident. As of Saturday night, the man's name and his condition had not been released.

2.jpg

1.jpg

• Sad 1

While it is unfortunate this happened, it seems there is really nobody to blame but that guy. The ride looks to be operating as intended from those photos. I feel for the witnesses, families, and children who had to watch the guy fall. 

I'm also a little surprised this hasn't happened sooner, honestly. The amount of times I have ridden the Sky Ride and see people bouncing it, leaning out under the lap bar, and just generally not sitting properly is quite often.

I really do hope he is OK, but come on man...

• Like 3

My thought is he did it on purpose and since it's right as it was coming to the fountain if he was trying to aim for the fountain but lost his grip. The main thing noticeable to me is how calm he is which was also brought up on another site.

1 hour ago, mikeykaise said:

My thought is he did it on purpose and since it's right as it was coming to the fountain if he was trying to aim for the fountain but lost his grip. The main thing noticeable to me is how calm he is which was also brought up on another site.

Not saying you did draw some grand conclusion from it, but it is a time tested human mistake to try to draw conclusions from someone's body language when under duress. People are basically a random button when it comes to how they react. Some people will always appear calm no matter what they are feeling. Some people will actually feel calm even when that seems crazy to us. Some people will appear acting wild when they feel calm and some people have anxiety all the time over what other people would consider nothing. You can't get anything reliable from it.

42 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

Well well well, if it isn't the consequences of his actions.

If only he were the only one to suffer consequences.  Wonder what the odds of that skyride seeing 2022 are now?  Or any of the others left anywhere else.

^It's not fair to punish the ride for his actions but it seems that's where we're heading with everything. The Vessel in NYC has also been closed a bunch and is closed currently due to people jumping off of it.  Let's fix mental health in this country before rides and buildings!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, SharkTums said:

^It's not fair to punish the ride for his actions but it seems that's where we're heading with everything. The Vessel in NYC has also been closed a bunch and is closed currently due to people jumping off of it.  Let's fix mental health in this country before rides and buildings!

Totally.  We have had way too many ride changes since the 90s... rides gone or changed so much they aren't the same/fun anymore.  This is a truly horrible thing - either by accident or on purpose.  Feel bad for the guy, and all the people (kids!!!) who saw it.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, mikeykaise said:

Did we come from the same site. Lol. 

• Haha 1

Didn't a guy (developmentally disabled perhaps) fall from the drop tower at Great America (Ca) a few years ago - where they didn't figure out how he got on the outside of an intamin drop harness? 

• 1 month later...

How have things been at Lagoon lately? Making a spite-Steel-Curtain-trip over October 15th weekend. 

Everything open and running?

Looks like there's only options for single day tickets or a season pass, no 2 day tickets? 

Saturday vs Sunday: Saturday park is open 10am-11pm, Sunday 10am-8pm. Is Sunday the better day to go?

Lyft/Uber to the park from downtown pretty easy? Looking to not rent a car.

Thanks everyone!