TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

It's exciting to see! I hope Primordial becomes the dark ride/roller coaster hybrid it's been rumored.

If there is a just and loving god then this will be a clone of Karnan from Hansa Park. That thing is life changing.

I believe Lagoon designs its coasters in house. So I would not expect a clone any time soon

I love Lagoon.

I feel bad saying that because I don't want to be the asshole enthusiast that goes "Oh, XXXXX coaster/park in the middle of nowhere that's prohibitively expensive and time consuming to go to is amazing, you've got to go" but Lagoon is awesome. I love that they keep building all of these awesome things even though they've entirely cornered the market and have no competition to speak of for a solid 8 hours in any direction. They could honestly just sit on their a** and do nothing until the end of time and let the place print money but they keep building awesome rides just because they can.

Curiosity and a little bit of obsession led me to read way too much of the LIF Primordial thread than is good for me. Considering this is being done in-house, it's super hard to speculate anything about. Some people want a multi-launch, some want an invert, but the general consensus is that it'll end up being more like a dark-ride-Bombara-hybrid. Logistically speaking, a launcher doesn't seem too plausible, but we can dream, right

Speaking of dreaming, I came up with a list of what it might be/what I'd like to see

1. F.L.Y.-type flyer. Designed in-house, mixed with a dark ride, and intense!

2. Lost Coaster Of Superstition Mountain because who wouldn't love a dark ride woodie!

3. Journey to Atlantis-like water coaster. Maybe throw in a loop or two just for fun.

Again, just daydreaming. I'll be happy with whatever!

Lagoon's two dark rides are really good. I'd love to see them make a shooter-coaster hybrid. Unlike Wonder Mountain Guardian, Lagoon has proven they can build rides that track smoothly and don't feel like riding a shopping cart down a cobblestone hill.

I love Lagoon.

I feel bad saying that because I don't want to be the asshole enthusiast that goes "Oh, XXXXX coaster/park in the middle of nowhere that's prohibitively expensive and time consuming to go to is amazing, you've got to go" but Lagoon is awesome. I love that they keep building all of these awesome things even though they've entirely cornered the market and have no competition to speak of for a solid 8 hours in any direction. They could honestly just sit on their a** and do nothing until the end of time and let the place print money but they keep building awesome rides just because they can.

Oh damn. This park has been on my radar for some time but this endorsement just boosted the got-to-get-there factor. I have zero interest in SLC beyond this place, but Frontier has cheap flights from Branson to SLC....

You’re a National Park guy right?

We went to Lagoon because we were going to Yellowstone and generally SLC is the airport that people use to get there because (while it’s a few hours away) it’s the closest “major airport” to the park. I suggest making it primarily a Yellowstone trip with a day at Lagoon at the beginning or the end.

By the way, this is random but Lagoon has wild peacocks everywhere just walking around in queue lines and jumping up on tables. It’s insane.

You’re a National Park guy right?

We went to Lagoon because we were going to Yellowstone and generally SLC is the airport that people use to get there because (while it’s a few hours away) it’s the closest “major airport” to the park. I suggest making it primarily a Yellowstone trip with a day at Lagoon at the beginning or the end.

By the way, this is random but Lagoon has wild peacocks everywhere just walking around in queue lines and jumping up on tables. It’s insane.

Oh that's awesome. I hadn't thought about SLC being close to Yellowstone, but yeah, that's a good idea. Filing that away for later; I have like 5 years worth of trips planned at this point just waiting for enough vacation time to accrue.

I don't want to act like it's "close", but it's 4 hours and 40 minutes away which makes it the closest "major"airport so it's the one that most people use to go to Yellowstone. In Utah, Idaho and Montana terms it's close.

As an added bonus you could also take the slightly longer route that takes you through Grand Teton national park which is amazing. If you're a massive whore you can also go the non-scenic route and whore an SBF Spinner in the middle of f*cking nowhere (we passed on that one).

Bozeman and Jackson airports are closer to Yellowstone and Frontier does service them (only from Denver) but with Frontier or basically any airline you're probably going to need to connect and it's going to be prohibitively annoying and/or expensive, plus then you can't go to Lagoon and those airports are still well over an hour from Yellowstone and there's a 99% chance your plane will be delayed because of elk / moose on the runway or some sh*t...

Man realizing all the national parks close to Lagoon greatly makes that park a lot more tantalizing. I've never been out west but if I plan a trip to Lagoon I might have to extend it for all the awesome road tripping to do out there.

I suggest visiting the national parks with Lagoon. During the summer months, Utah doesn't have much to offer besides Lagoon, Snowbird, (they have summer month activities and rides: multiple ski resorts out here do,) a small but well-run zoo, and LDS museums everywhere. If you're not into any of that other stuff, the national parks are the best bet to make the most out of a visit to Utah.

But, don't forget about the summer tubing that can be done at the Olympic Park during summer days as well. It is a bit more thrilling than you'd expect.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I don't want to act like it's "close", but it's 4 hours and 40 minutes away which makes it the closest "major"airport so it's the one that most people use to go to Yellowstone. In Utah, Idaho and Montana terms it's close.

As an added bonus you could also take the slightly longer route that takes you through Grand Teton national park which is amazing. If you're a massive whore you can also go the non-scenic route and whore an SBF Spinner in the middle of f*cking nowhere (we passed on that one).

Bozeman and Jackson airports are closer to Yellowstone and Frontier does service them (only from Denver) but with Frontier or basically any airline you're probably going to need to connect and it's going to be prohibitively annoying and/or expensive, plus then you can't go to Lagoon and those airports are still well over an hour from Yellowstone and there's a 99% chance your plane will be delayed because of elk / moose on the runway or some sh*t...

Yeah man, under 5 hours is considered "close" in the West. You get used to distances out here.

And I would totally take Grand Teton over an SBF Spinner, especially considering we have one in Tulsa and that's 3 hours, or what we in the West call "next door."

Having lived in Utah for a couple of years now, I can attest that there's actually quite a bit to do as long as you're down to drive a few hours. Driving south toward St. George will get you to Zion, Snow Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and a ton of less well-known state parks. Going in a kind of southeast direction from Salt Lake out toward Moab will get you to Arches (highly recommend), Canyonlands, and, again, a number of really good yet kind of off-the-map state parks (Dead Horse Point was a fun one). It's the opposite direction of Yellowstone but definitely worth the trip.

For those debating making the trip, though, I will say that I had been anticipating Cannibal for over three years (it opened right after I moved to Japan) and it did not disappoint in the slightest. One of my favorite roller coasters and definitely top 5 material (my credit count is 101). It's got a much better drop than Takabisha and the Lagoon roll gives some intense hangtime with just a lapbar! Like I said, it does feel a little out of place, but with Colossus, Roller Coaster, and Jet Star there as well I would hardly say Lagoon has a weak line up. The park feels small but has a solid collection of rides.

Outside of Cannibal, I think the star ride at Lagoon is Flying Aces. I hadn't heard anything about these flying scooters going into my visit, but they rival the Flyer at Knoebels. And the operators don't care one bit if you snap. In fact, one even encouraged me.

I loved Lagoon way more than a bunch of corporate parks with more impressive coaster lineups. Everything at the park outside of the food service was fantastic. The park is beautiful, both the walkways and the mountain backdrop. The customer service is incredible. The staff was friendly and efficient. Stacking is not a thing at that park.

I think the only way someone could leave the park upset is if they're a single rider who is absolutely butthurt that they cannot ride alone in the front or back seat of any coaster there.

• 3 months later...

I am going to the craft brewers conference in Denver in early april, and am going to go to Lagoon on the way home April 13. i checked and Lagoon will be open weekends then.

some questions:

What is the public transit like in Salt lake city: is it possible to get from the airport into town, and from town to Lagoon by public transit? google maps seems to think so.

Is there a good area to stay in salt lake city? i am flying in on the friday and out on the saturday. ideally i would get a hotel where i could walk to some nice places to eat and drink without worrying about driving.

And:

Are there any fellow coaster nerds that want to meet up at Lagoon? I am happy to go alone, but it is fun to meet others too. I am pretty easy going, and a huge Schwarzkopf fan. I of course want to ride Colossus and Jetstar, and anything else is a bonus. I heard they had a 2 rider per seat policy on jetstar? If so, i presume they may group single riders? I am not sure how far along they are on the new coaster, but since i have never been before, they are all new to me...

Public transit in SLC definitely exists. The Trax rail system goes right into central SLC from the airport and there are plenty of literail and bus routes in place to get around town. There's a train that goes to the park, too. I'm not sure about the Trax but I know for sure the FrontRunner train (pseudo-high speed rail system) gets really close to the park. I believe there's a free shuttle bus that runs from Farmington station to Lagoon. Use google to figure out the best way to get there. Utah actually has decent public transit; it's very well kept and pleasant to ride in. My one complaint is they don't line up the train and bus schedules very well, so expect some waiting on layovers.

I'm not sure about hotels, sorry!

I plan on getting a season pass this year, so I'd be down to meet you at the park. I do have a meeting I need to be at on April 13th around lunchtime, but I'd love to meet up with you later in the day! DM me and we can work it out.

That goes for others, too. I don't have any theme park crazy friends in Utah like I did in Ohio, so I'll pretty much always be down to meet up (whether I'm free is a totally different question though...lol). Just DM me!

I am going to the craft brewers conference in Denver in early april, and am going to go to Lagoon on the way home April 13. i checked and Lagoon will be open weekends then.

some questions:

What is the public transit like in Salt lake city: is it possible to get from the airport into town, and from town to Lagoon by public transit? google maps seems to think so.

Is there a good area to stay in salt lake city? i am flying in on the friday and out on the saturday. ideally i would get a hotel where i could walk to some nice places to eat and drink without worrying about driving.

And:

Are there any fellow coaster nerds that want to meet up at Lagoon? I am happy to go alone, but it is fun to meet others too. I am pretty easy going, and a huge Schwarzkopf fan. I of course want to ride Colossus and Jetstar, and anything else is a bonus. I heard they had a 2 rider per seat policy on jetstar? If so, i presume they may group single riders? I am not sure how far along they are on the new coaster, but since i have never been before, they are all new to me...

Here's how you get to Lagoon from Salt Lake International. From Airport Station, take a TRAX Green Line (704) Train towards West Valley. Get off at the North Temple Station and board a FrontRunner (750) Train Northbound. Get off at Farmington Station (Can't miss the big Roller Coaster/Lagoon Logo art installation) and catch the Farmington Trolley (667) to the Park's Drop Off Area.

There is a Hyatt Place in Station Park (in Farmington) and a Hampton Inn near Lagoon. You can access the Farmington Trolley easily from either hotel. https://www.shopatstationpark.com/directory/

If you want, feel free to pm me and I will see if I'm available. I helped Guy get his Jet Star 2 Credit back in 2015.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Well, since I'll be in CA, which isn't close to Lagoon but the closest I'll be any time ever in the forseeable future, I may try to stop by. Perhaps take a layover in Salt Lake City. (Nothing flies directly to Tallahassee anyway) Esp since it seems I can get from the Airport to park without a rental car!?

I know this is a family park with a collection of mostly moderate rides, but I've heard good things about Wicked, not as much about Cannibal, (was let down to hear its supposedly forceless???) but I do love a Schwarzkopf. CoasterStudios, who's opinions seem to strongly align with mine, found the spinning coaster and....Roller Coaster not bad either.

Think its worth a day trip to the park? For a solo traveler esp? Is Cannibal as awesome as it seems?

I see that in Sept, when I'd likely be going, its basically weekend hours. Any idea what crowds would be like on a Sept weekend?

, not as much about Cannibal, (was let down to hear its supposedly forceless???)

Come on, you've been around long enough to know that word is only used by people who front that they're so hardcore they can't enjoy themselves. Go and have a good time.

, not as much about Cannibal, (was let down to hear its supposedly forceless???)

Come on, you've been around long enough to know that word is only used by people who front that they're so hardcore they can't enjoy themselves. Go and have a good time.

True, and prob funny from me who still defends MForce but ya know it just out of the way(though apparently not nearly as a bad as I thought!)

Also ya know...needless to say I was 80% convinced I wanted to do it and was looking for the few people to give the confirming nudge ha Though I do know nothing of the park and have some questions.

Mostly I am curious what crowds may be expected. It seems like it will have to a Sept weekend, so if anyone has any idea.

Is it single rider friendly? I know some rides you cant ride front/back solo which is fine, and for any that require two people guess I'll have to ask someone, which is also fine.

I am hoping to get lots of rides on so just curious if crowds are a concern/how to dodge em. Im assuming there's no Fast Lane type deal. If an August weekday would be better, I could try that (flying IN to CA opposed to out)