TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

I believe he's already been on Samurai. Since you know the reason why they are neutered, why do you ask? lol Cliffhanger has always and will always be primarily a Water Ride.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've seen it used as a glorified bench. No flips, no fountains, it just spun in circles without the brakes engaging. That was the program all day when I visited last year. Kinda unfortunate.

Sent from my XXXtreme Home Desktop using Chrome

Even if Samurai is neutered, I still love it. It's better than any other flat we have here in SoCal, at least with the cycle it ran in June 2015.

Samurai is still a good flat on a bad day. The new restraints should be nice as well.

I believe he's already been on Samurai. Since you know the reason why they are neutered, why do you ask? lol Cliffhanger has always and will always be primarily a Water Ride.

I've seen it used as a glorified bench. No flips, no fountains, it just spun in circles without the brakes engaging. That was the program all day when I visited last year. Kinda unfortunate.

Sent from my XXXtreme Home Desktop using Chrome

I know the brakes on the Gondolas were giving them troubles last year, and they only used them part way through the summer. Unless it was cold, the fountains should have been running. Was the pool empty? It would certainly have been the safest bench in the world. lol

There's a simple reason why flats are commonly neutered for parks, and that's because while fairs basically have to check it completely through all the time since they rebuild them constantly but it's not reliable to run it full potential when you can't check every part all the time.

There's a simple reason why flats are commonly neutered for parks, and that's because while fairs basically have to check it completely through all the time since they rebuild them constantly but it's not reliable to run it full potential when you can't check every part all the time.

There's a bazillion reasons, and that's just one of them. In Lagoon's case, it's the AC motors, Gearbox failures on Cliffhanger and same with Samurai. There's also the potential for stress fractures at several points on Mondial Top Scans that have come to light in service bulletins. Preventative maintenance is important, and if that means a neutered ride that will have a longer service life, I'm all for it. Besides, Lagoon is a park that keeps throwing money at Jet Star 2, when most other parks would have scraped it more than a decade ago.

Mondial has so many issues with their flat ride designs that I wonder how they will do later on as a company, and what it would call for on all of their rides. Granted, Carowinds will be getting a used Top Scan next year, I still don't see how these continuous issues on their rides still warrant them for more installations. Look at their newest creation, Windseeker for example.

With Jet Star 2's minimum ride height being the highest for any coaster, unpopularity on busy days, still a long wait in short lines, and reputation for being rough still, I think it's safe to say the ride doesn't even play in the right market anymore. Whatever more money goes into Jet Star shouldn't, and be saved for it's replacement. Or better, move Wild Mouse there and use Wild Mouse's spot for a new addition/s. I understand the historical significance of Jet Star 2, but at this point it seems like it's used up all it could during it's lifetime.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Mondial has so many issues with their flat ride designs that I wonder how they will do later on as a company, and what it would call for on all of their rides. Granted, Carowinds will be getting a used Top Scan next year, I still don't see how these continuous issues on their rides still warrant them for more installations. Look at their newest creation, Windseeker for example.

With Jet Star 2's minimum ride height being the highest for any coaster, unpopularity on busy days, still a long wait in short lines, and reputation for being rough still, I think it's safe to say the ride doesn't even play in the right market anymore. Whatever more money goes into Jet Star shouldn't, and be saved for it's replacement. Or better, move Wild Mouse there and use Wild Mouse's spot for a new addition/s. I understand the historical significance of Jet Star 2, but at this point it seems like it's used up all it could during it's lifetime.

Every ride manufacturer has problems now and then with things, and just because one ride has them, doesn't mean every one manufactured does or will. It's always better to be safe and keep an eye on things, like Lagoon does.

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone call Jet Star 2 rough. I love Jet Star 2 because it's got a little bit of everything.....pop of air on the first drop, great g forces, disorientating, carousels, and the reduction brake is the exclamation point. Lagoon spends money on Jet Star 2 because the Ride still has plenty of riders, and the dual loading has made it more efficient.

Every ride manufacturer has problems now and then with things, and just because one ride has them, doesn't mean every one manufactured does or will. It's always better to be safe and keep an eye on things, like Lagoon does.

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone call Jet Star 2 rough. I love Jet Star 2 because it's got a little bit of everything.....pop of air on the first drop, great g forces, disorientating, carousels, and the reduction brake is the exclamation point. Lagoon spends money on Jet Star 2 because the Ride still has plenty of riders, and the dual loading has made it more efficient.

The whole decision to use AC motors has caused so many problems.

As for Jet Star 2, it needs to go. It's rough and it's space could be better used. Lagoon has done a great job of taking standard rides and theming them, but the presence of carnival rides or rides that aren't built with permanent footers just looks tacky. Lagoon is better than that. If they want to become a more premier park, they need to start phasing out the eyesores of the park (the enterprise, Jet Star 2, several kiddy land rides, Wild Mouse, Scrambler, and the paratrooper).

As for Jet Star 2, it needs to go. It's rough and it's space could be better used. Lagoon has done a great job of taking standard rides and theming them, but the presence of carnival rides or rides that aren't built with permanent footers just looks tacky. Lagoon is better than that. If they want to become a more premier park, they need to start phasing out the eyesores of the park (the enterprise, Jet Star 2, several kiddy land rides, Wild Mouse, Scrambler, and the paratrooper).

I wouldn't say get rid of all the older rides, just modernise. Screamer could be sold back to Huss and get a park model of the new Enterprises they now make. I don't understand why Wild Mouse would be removed because it doesn't have permanent footers. Spider and Fire Dragon don't either, which I think is because of the land not being stable, as well as price and time period. Lagoon still isn't a huge park with tons of money for additions. My idea for these coasters to make them look better is to paint up the floors. Wild Mouse with grass and flowers, or blocks of cheese, Spider with a Web, and Fire Dragon with swirling Flames. Even Jet Star 2 with stars, if it's not going anywhere. All the other rides are extrmely cheap and can be repainted better colors, as well as be relatively cheap to fix and operate, and have cohesive themes with upgraded signs that wouldn't cost so much. Something like what was done with Skyscraper last year can do wonders for all the other rides. Even upgrades of areas just to make the walkways look better like what the new area of Kiddieland looks like. I applaud Lagoon for that area so much and can't wait to see that kind of immersive area reach all around the park.

So I don't say get rid of everything, just upgrade the areas and what's around the rides. Jet Star 2 is just a different issue. It's costly to operate and fix, and doesn't offer as a coaster at Lagoon anymore because if the 50" height requirement. That's taller than even Cannibal, when it's not as big and thrilling as many rides at Lagoon with a lower height requirement. By the time the next generation comes around, they will have ridden everything else and once they are able to ride Jet Star, it's gone be matched up to everything else they have already ridden and realize it's not as good, so they will seldom ride it.

Same goes for Cliffhanger with the non-inverting operations it has. They can easily replace that for a lower height requirement ride that does the same thing is it does now, and offer the same water ride. Unless they operate the ride to flip more often, it's not worth the major ride it was when it was added.

I look into the idea of Lagoon being a family park and all the ride height requirements. It seems to be a huge deal, being that you can ride most of the rides by the time your age five, and not miss much. I did research a bit ago on how many rides Lagoon and other parks have where kids 38" and under can ride, and we have 35 rides and two coasters! It is more than Cedar Point and Six Flags Magic Mountain, (besides having four kids coasters.) The only one I would say has more would be Hersheypark with 40 rides, at least in the States. That is outstanding and I believe Lagoon should look into it more. Adding other family rides, (not kiddie rides, mind you,) re-branding new rides, (like replacing Bat's and Roller Coaster's trains for lower height requirements,) and still making the cohesive theme they have been doing for so long. They could reach this more with other rides and replacing some rides where the height requirements don't make sense for the ride, like Jet Star 2 and Cliffhanger.

Roller Coaster can be Rough, but Jet Star 2? I've ridden it with worn wheels and it wasn't that bad. I think you guys are confusing an aggressive ride, with quick and sometimes jarring transitions, as rough. Jet Star 2 has a minimum height requirement of 50" because it is so aggressive and can really throw a smaller rider around. That's why it's fun and a classic. The money spent of Jet Star 2 isn't an astronomical amount by any means. When Jet Star 2 does reach the end of it's service life, it will be removed.

No other manufacturer offers a "Water Thrill Ride." HUSS does have Top Spins that use water effects, but those have a 54" minimum height requirement to Cliffhanger's 50". I may be mistaken, but new PTC cars on Roller Coaster would mean a 48" minimum height requirement and seat belts.

Coasters with a Base Frame don't look tacky, and I would argue that Screamer and Turn of the Century, which are Lagoon's only true Trailer Mounted rides, look better than their Park Model counterparts. Both Screamer and TOTC are higher off the ground, which adds more thrill in my opinion. Witch's Wheel and Wave Swinger at Cedar Point never were as thrilling as those at Lagoon. Samurai, by the way, even though it is a park model, is built on a Chassis AND is on Blocks. Lagoon is a Traditional Amusement Park, the Largest Family Owned one in the US. They don't want to be a "Premier Amusement Park," which is one reason why I love it so much. They do what they do best, and that's be different.

Aggressive doesn't always mean thrilling. Jet Star 2 is definitely a prize for us enthusiasts for being the last operating model in the US, but to the GP it's an older ride that has lost it's luster. Unless they replace the trains for something safer for smaller riders, (and offer odd numbered groups and single riders to ride it without hassle,) I don't see any prime reason to keep it around.

I say have Lagoon make their own "water thrill ride." If any park would be willing to pursue it, it would be Lagoon since they made Cannibal on their own successfully, (besides prototype hiccups.) Also looking at the track record, they also built Bombora, rebuilding Roller Coaster, and the countless custom parts for classic flat rides no longer made.

I never mentioned Roller Coaster's trains would have to be from PTC again. They could be from Gravity Group or even made by ART Engineering since them and Lagoon have been working together on many projects. At this point, I could see Lagoon become a catalogue with multiple ART rides if the company starts manufacturing their own line of rides.

The difference between Samurai and TOTC/Screamer is that Samurai has some thought out landscaping, design, and theming. The others are still stuck in 1986 and could use a facelift at least. Besides, if park models were to be purchased, I wouldn't put it past Lagoon to elevate the rides like with Air Race to keep that esthetic of the respected rides. They could even keep these rides and just take out the metal floors, steps and such to replace with more permanent platforms, if that is plausible to do. I know there's quite a difference between park and trailer models.

To anyone reading this thread wondering why people that have Lagoon as their home park type up long essays for a reply about Lagoon, it's because we're secluded and have nothing else. It's just as difficult to get out of Utah as it is coming in.

Aggressive doesn't always mean thrilling. Jet Star 2 is definitely a prize for us enthusiasts for being the last operating model in the US, but to the GP it's an older ride that has lost it's luster. Unless they replace the trains for something safer for smaller riders, (and offer odd numbered groups and single riders to ride it without hassle,) I don't see any prime reason to keep it around.

I say have Lagoon make their own "water thrill ride." If any park would be willing to pursue it, it would be Lagoon since they made Cannibal on their own successfully, (besides prototype hiccups.) Also looking at the track record, they also built Bombora, rebuilding Roller Coaster, and the countless custom parts for classic flat rides no longer made.

I never mentioned Roller Coaster's trains would have to be from PTC again. They could be from Gravity Group or even made by ART Engineering since them and Lagoon have been working together on many projects. At this point, I could see Lagoon become a catalogue with multiple ART rides if the company starts manufacturing their own line of rides.

The difference between Samurai and TOTC/Screamer is that Samurai has some thought out landscaping, design, and theming. The others are still stuck in 1986 and could use a facelift at least. Besides, if park models were to be purchased, I wouldn't put it past Lagoon to elevate the rides like with Air Race to keep that esthetic of the respected rides. They could even keep these rides and just take out the metal floors, steps and such to replace with more permanent platforms, if that is plausible to do. I know there's quite a difference between park and trailer models.

To anyone reading this thread wondering why people that have Lagoon as their home park type up long essays for a reply about Lagoon, it's because we're secluded and have nothing else. It's just as difficult to get out of Utah as it is coming in.

If your average Lagoon guest thought Jet Star 2 had "lost it's luster" and is "old/outdated," there would never be a line for it. Obviously guests still love it because they still Ride it and ridership hasn't dropped at all. If it had, Lagoon never would have added a dual loading station to improve capacity. Jet Star 2 is in no way unsafe, as the Chassis are in Great Condition and the Stronger Wheel Housings that Lagoon had Fabricated many years ago are still in great condition. There's absolutely nothing mechanically wrong with the Ride and Maintenance costs are no higher now then they were 10 years ago.

The problems with Cliffhanger are mostly specific to this single installation. It has had much better up time in the past couple of years, and we'll have to see if the Brakes on the Gondolas are back working. Again, it's there to get you wet, which it does perfectly.

I would be totally on board with Gravity Kraft Trains for Roller Coaster, after experiencing them at Tayto Park. It's also funny how Jordan and I talked about on Saturday what an ART Wood Coaster Train would be like. lol

I would still say Musik Express looks more like a temporary ride than Screamer or TOTC. I know that as a trailer mounted ride, TOTC's Maintenance Inspections include maintaining Tire Pressure, but that was a decade ago, so things may have changed. Because of it's design as a trailer mounted ride, I was told that the platform had to remain as it is, and I would imagine it would be the same for Screamer.

I like our long essays about Lagoon.

I never meant for it to come out that it isn't safe, I meant to express to add new trains to accommodate smaller riders. Also, I have noticed that the lines are getting smaller for the ride, and the dual loading station isn't used all the time anymore. Might have been great for ten years, and might last for another ten, but it's days are numbered on how much longer it will be around.

I am aware how Musik Express looks as well. I wish they would do something in landscaping at least to make these look better, as well as new fences and ground. I would love to see walkways like for Jumping Dragon, Tipsey Tea Cups, Bulgy the Whale, and Red Rock Rally to be made around Space Scrambler, Tilt a Whirl, Sky Coaster, Boomerang, and Sky Ride. That would be plenty for that area that is definitely dated with the wooden benches attached to the trees. New signs, queue, and updated landscaping just there would be awesome. I know TOTC just got a new queue entrance, but no new sign or landscaping. Instead that money went to new wheel bogies for Wicked which I feel didn't need them yet. Wicked is only going to be ten years old next year. Spider is 13/14 with multiple maitenence issues that have been a disaster to maintain.

All that was done on Spider was great, but I want to see that kind of TLC to go to the entire South Midway, including an update to Corn Dog Corner that doesn't even sell the foot-long corn dogs. I'm not meaning the small walkway between Wild Mouse and Cliffhanger, I mean with Screamer, Musik Express, Rock-O-Plane, Sky Ride, and Fire Dragon. That also would include the large planter that pushes people into the narrow WM/Cliffhanger walkway and separate the tables for Tepanyaki (if that's what it's called.) It's not good for crowd control to the other side that has all of the games and food stands. Even putting the entrance to Wild Mouse behind the ride instead of on the side of the walkway would help with how crowded that one walkway can get. It's always full of people for no reason when the other side is bare with much more room to walk around.

Basically, just modernize the look around the older rides, and it would look many times better.

• 2 months later...

^Yeah Larry, I was so impressed by this park. Between it's great operations, excellent small park feel, and it's stellar coaster line up. I can not recommend it enough. If you're ever in the Great Salt Lake area people, get out to Lagoon. And if you're there during October, they're Halloween event is surprisingly good too. I had a blast.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm headed to Lagoon next Wed or Thursday for the first time in about 20 years. If anyone has any tips or advice to get the most out of our visit, I would appreciate it. I figure that we should hit Cannibal and Wicked first, but I've got no idea after that. My goal is to hit up all the coasters and the more thrilling flats if possible.

Looks like I'm headed to Lagoon next Wed or Thursday for the first time in about 20 years. If anyone has any tips or advice to get the most out of our visit, I would appreciate it. I figure that we should hit Cannibal and Wicked first, but I've got no idea after that. My goal is to hit up all the coasters and the more thrilling flats if possible.

Just know that after Cannibal, not everything will stack up to it, but definitely as a game plan, it's best to hit that up first. After that, you can head to the other side and ride the coasters over there, (Wicked, Fire Dragon, Spider, Roller Coaster, Wild Mouse if you're into those rides,) then work your way back to the other side. Just make sure you hit the classic dark rides as well. Terroride is easy to find, but Dracula's Castle is a bit harder to find. Just go near the entrance again and the stairs on the north side go right up to the ride. Then while on the other side you can hit up all the other rides, like Jet Star 2 if you're not going alone, Samurai, Rocket, and Flying Aces as snapping is encouraged. If you're into water rides, definitely hit the back end with Rattlesnake Rapids, but head to the back anyway for the BBQ and Pioneer Village.

To be perfectly honest, after hitting Cannibal first, then heading to the other side (via Skyride or walking) it's mostly free game after that. Just avoid Rattlesnake Rapids between 3-5.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably going on August 14th. Gotta get a ride in on Cannibal and hopefully get a few on Spider and Wicked (Spider is my favorite at Lagoon.)

As for what I would like, I would like to see the water park updated more than anything, it's been a good long while since it has been updated (seriously updated) and would like to see a drop floor slide.

I do think they could do some things to update the layout a little bit. Just some small things that would help flow the park better. I hope they consider it.

The entire Lagoon-A-Beach just needs to be redone and moved elsewhere for future expansion. The water park is landlocked and doesn't have any room to add another waterslide.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...