TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

Wait, forgive my noobness but is there any confirmation, or at least validity, to there being a mid course launch? (Or pure speculation) I only ask because in the testing video it didn't seem to have any change in speed.

Anyway, good to know it may be opening soon, not sure why but the intrigue with this ride has really had me, I am so curious about it!

Wait, forgive my noobness but is there any confirmation, or at least validity, to there being a mid course launch? (Or pure speculation) I only ask because in the testing video it didn't seem to have any change in speed.

Anyway, good to know it may be opening soon, not sure why but the intrigue with this ride has really had me, I am so curious about it!

It might be a launch, but with what linearinduction stated, it's more than likely trim brakes as the MCBR and final brakes both have the same LSM fins. I didn't think about that at first. It's definitely been debated quite a bit on lagoonisfun.com if they are for a minor launch or for trim brakes. Also, it wouldn't be noticed if it was a launch or brake in any of the tested videos as it could very well not even be on as they were only testing.

In short, it's speculation.

It might be a launch, but with what linearinduction stated, it's more than likely trim brakes as the MCBR and final brakes both have the same LSM fins. I didn't think about that at first. It's definitely been debated quite a bit on lagoonisfun.com if they are for a minor launch or for trim brakes. Also, it wouldn't be noticed if it was a launch or brake in any of the tested videos as it could very well not even be on as they were only testing.

In short, it's speculation.

Gotcha

That is what I naturally assumed, I figured it'd be traveling pretty fast if anything and speeding it up would be pretty nuts, though exciting

Also, it wouldn't be noticed if it was a launch or brake in any of the tested videos as it could very well not even be on as they were only testing.

It was on today. It's a brake. I could see it and hear it.

Lots of little finishing touches have been done, and there was a lot of activity all over the area.

Also, it wouldn't be noticed if it was a launch or brake in any of the tested videos as it could very well not even be on as they were only testing.

It was on today. It's a brake. I could see it and hear it.

Lots of little finishing touches have been done, and there was a lot of activity all over the area.

I always knew it to be a brake. I could see though why some thought it was a launch. Even in my NL models either way worked, but in my mind it was always a brake, a launch didn't make any sense.

I'm gonna be there this weekend, and even though I'm not expecting miracles I will be genuinely gutted if I miss out on it. It looks amazing!
I would not count on Cannibal being Open when you visit. Also, in case you were unaware, Lagoon offers several discounts, like the Early Bird Special, which saves $7.00 (Up to 6 People) with a Coke Can before 12:00pm and Costco sells Tickets for $39.99, which saves $9.96. Make sure you ride the Coasters at Night/After Dark too, as Wicked, Dragon, Jet Star 2, and Roller Coaster are best then.

I have a last minute work trip to SLC next week and I'm going to extend it by a few days. I'm planning on going to Lagoon on either Friday June 5th or Saturday the 6th. Any locals going to the park on one of those days? It would be great to hang out, get a local perspective, and avoid some of the single-rider issues. Crossing my fingers that Cannibal might be open, but I doubt it. Still, very excited for my first visit to Lagoon!

I have a last minute work trip to SLC next week and I'm going to extend it by a few days. I'm planning on going to Lagoon on either Friday June 5th or Saturday the 6th. Any locals going to the park on one of those days? It would be great to hang out, get a local perspective, and avoid some of the single-rider issues. Crossing my fingers that Cannibal might be open, but I doubt it. Still, very excited for my first visit to Lagoon!

While I'm not a local and have never been to Lagoon (but am planning to go this summer), I can clarify the single rider issues. Yes, single riders are not allowed on the front or back rows of the coasters (for safety reasons), and are not allowed at all on Jet Star 2. However, the rides have single rider lines, which can get you on quicker. Also, the 4-across coasters (Wicked and, when it opens, Cannibal) do allow single riders in any of the rows, front and back included. This came from a park representative in response to an email I sent asking specifically about their single rider policy. So, while it sucks that single riders can find their seating choices limited, you have complete seating freedom on Wicked and Cannibal, as well as single rider lines to reduce your wait. Hope this info helps.

-Doug

Edit:

My apologies, I just relayed false information. The email from the park representative made me think that single riders are allowed on the front and back rows of Wicked and Cannibal. I called the park to get clarification and discovered that this isn't the case. Single riders are not allowed on the front or back rows of any of the coasters. Wicked has a single rider line, so you might get the front if you're lucky. There is no word yet on whether Cannibal will have a single rider line. But, just to reiterate, there are no single riders on the front or back rows of any of the roller coasters at the park.

Edited by scooterdoug

And just an FYI with Jet Star 2, since single riders are not allowed, you will be paired up with a random stranger, and you'll have to sit in their lap like the old Matterhorn bobsleds. Thus the reason I passed on riding it when I was there by myself.

For Wicked, you ride in an empty seat, regardless where it is. Cannibal I presume would be the same concerning single riders. The only real problem you would have on any ride is Jet Star 2, but you do have the option of being paired with a random stranger and sitting on their laps, as well as riding front or back rows of the other coasters with trains.

I know I will be at Lagoon on Friday Afternoon, June 5th, and Possibly Saturday Afternoon, June 6th, as well, and I would be more than happy to meet up with you and ride some rides. I will also put out the word on LagoonisFun.com to see if anyone might be able to meet up with you earlier in the day, and I will see if I might be able to score some Discount Passes for you as well, but if not, Costco is the Best Discount.

Is there any reason for their ridiculous single rider policy?
I don't see how it's ridiculous. It might be odd, but it's not going to completely ruin the rides to go on a middle seat. It's safety precautions they take so that if any injury happens, there is a for sure witness. With Cannibal's late opening still undetermined because they want to make sure it is 100% completely safe, it makes sense Lagoon looks quite a bit into safety and takes extra measures.

Why are single riders not allowed in the front seats? Surely there'd be plenty of witnesses in the rows behind? Unless I am missing something obvious (very possible!)

Yes, you are, but they wouldn't want to spell it out for you. It's in case the train hits a person who is not on the ride but near the track. To call a policy that aims to insure that at least two people have a front-row seat to any such event a "safety precaution" is ridiculous IMO. Nobody is safer for having witnessed that.

Yes, you are, but they wouldn't want to spell it out for you. It's in case the train hits a person who is not on the ride but near the track. To call a policy that aims to insure that at least two people have a front-row seat to any such event a "safety precaution" is ridiculous IMO. Nobody is safer for having witnessed that.

Oh right, of course, thank you for explaining. It does seem like a rule born out of paranoia, plus witness statements are notoriously unreliable. Hopefully it doesn't cause too many people problems anyway

The "no single rider" policy is a result of too much safety mesure and leads to non-sense in my opinion as well. I mean, it won't prevent any incident, and furthermore, when I'm riding, I don't babysit my co-rider but I'm focusing on my ride instead. (S)he can do things I won't see because, you know, I'm having fun.

Now, I do see if he gets sick or something like that - but incident like ejections (the reason why this policy exists IIRC) are just so sudden... Plus, they basically wants you to have the picture of your friend being thrown out to his death engraved in your head?

If they really want witnesses, they'd better invest into dashcams. Anyways, it's always more reliable than GP humans witnesses...

Is there any word on why Canibal is still not open? Even Six Flags managed to get their rides open by Memorial Day.

The park is silent, but it was noted that a new train was uncrated on Thursday, and there may still be as many as 2 more to be delivered. There was a rumor that the park was not satisfied with the restraints and they were re-designed (as well as countless other rumors). I have no idea if it's true but it would explain the highly delayed arrival of trains and the seat that was removed from a test train and sent to the "padding manufacturer for sculpting" or something like that according to the park's Facebook page.

There's also a small decorative fence in front of the station that's bent, so maybe it's because of that.