TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

I don't get why everyone says Lagoon never says anything and they are being as secretive as Area 51. They don't have to update everyone on knowing that another bolt was tightened, or a tree was planted. They have publicly stated they want to be safe with the ride, and with it being in-house, who should say they shouldn't be?

And I don't get why some people try to equate the totally accurate statement "Lagoon isn't saying anything" with "Lagoon should tell me every time they tighten a bolt, and they should abandon safety while they're at it".

Lagoon isn't saying anything and it annoys me (as well as many other people). They are free to keep quiet, and I am free to think it's annoying.

It's always dangerous to commit to a hard date if you can't be 100% sure it will be ready by that date, so it's better to keep quiet until they can set a safer date.

There really isn't a way to trim it. If you look at all the testing videos, they have all breaks and such going as slow as they can already, and to me it seems the mid course launch before the over bank was not on. That would mean it would still be a speedy ride if they did have to trim it, although I don't think they would need to.

I believe the biggest setback at this time is getting all the themed elements done completely. This would mean the waterfall feature, as usually it is turning that takes most of the time once a coaster is finished. If you look at Phantasialand's new coaster, the track is up, but now they are working on the themed elements and won't open until next year.

How much of a benefit do you get by designing a ride in-house? Sure you save a few bucks but then you're on your own when a problem arises. Not knocking the park for choosing this route but I've always wondered.

Was just kidding about trims btw, but I should've realized that is always a sore topic with the enthusiasts, myself included, and dangerous to bring up

That is a good question about the in house aspects, I just figured they did it because they wanted to/it's the ultimate "small park"/independent thing that could be done

How much of a benefit do you get by designing a ride in-house? Sure you save a few bucks but then you're on your own when a problem arises. Not knocking the park for choosing this route but I've always wondered.
Control. Building Cannibal Turnkey, basically acting as the Manufacturer, gave Lagoon Complete Control of the Project from Start to Finish. Besides, when you have one of the top coaster designers in history on your payroll, might as well pay him to do what he's done most of his career.

Besides, when you have one of the top coaster designers in history on your payroll, might as well pay him to do what he's done most of his career.

Fair enough.

and to me it seems the mid course launch before the over bank was not on.

Mid course launch?! Is that a thing? Am I the only one that missed this?

It most likely is. With the photo posted by Lagoon with a curved track and magnetic fins, the discussion led to it being a small launch to get through the overbank faster instead of having it be a crawl through it. It's not noticeable as it's in between the temples and waterfall, and it has not been officially stated by Lagoon. Maybe it's the secret element, maybe it's something else, but I don't see why Lagoon would post a picture of it if they weren't hinting at anything.

I'm at Canada's Wonderland right now and just overheard two guys discussing "a brand new amusement park in Salt Lake City that just opened a 500 foot tall roller coaster that shoots you out the top of an abandoned missile silo".

People are funny.

I'm at Canada's Wonderland right now and just overheard two guys discussing "a brand new amusement park in Salt Lake City that just opened a 500 foot tall roller coaster that shoots you out the top of an abandoned missile silo".

People are funny.

^^A launch into an overbank into a brake run seems a bit pointless to me, but if it is a thing I'm not going to question Dal Freeman.
It seems to be so they can make sure it clears the element. Plus the tight turn into the brake run could be a bit more fun as well.

People are funny.

I get the missile silo thing a bit (Some people might think it looks like one ,2015 seems to be the "murder your skyline year"), but 500 feet? And the fact that it "shoots you up the missle silo"? That would be a 'little' intense.

^^A launch into an overbank into a brake run seems a bit pointless to me, but if it is a thing I'm not going to question Dal Freeman.
It seems to be so they can make sure it clears the element. Plus the tight turn into the brake run could be a bit more fun as well.
It's most likely a Trim Brake, as there are LSM Beilim Stators in the Safety Brake as well. It made sense the LSM Stators after the Diving Loop were for a Possible Launch, but once the Safety Brake went up with LSM Stators, the Use seemed Clear.

People are funny.

I get the missile silo thing a bit (Some people might think it looks like one ,2015 seems to be the "murder your skyline year"), but 500 feet? And the fact that it "shoots you up the missle silo"? That would be a 'little' intense.

Pretty Funny considering Lagoon opened in 1886! lol

Pretty Funny considering Lagoon opened in 1886! lol

Are you consulting Wikipedia for info about Lagoon? I'd suggest using the Lagoon is Fun Wiki instead. Lagoon actually opened in 1896. Lake Park opened in 1886.

Since Lake Park was Relocated and Renamed Lagoon in 1896, I still count the Park as Opening in 1886. So Lagoon Opened as Lake Park in 1886, and was Relocated and Renamed in 1896.

Yesterday, Lagoon responded to a comment on facebook by saying:

Cannibal will be open soon! Stay tuned for an exact date!

"Soon" is something the park hasn't said in relation to Cannibal before. Based on this and something non-specific that I heard from one of Lagoon's landscapers, I'm hopeful that it will open next weekend.

There really isn't a way to trim it. If you look at all the testing videos, they have all breaks and such going as slow as they can already, and to me it seems the mid course launch before the over bank was not on. That would mean it would still be a speedy ride if they did have to trim it, although I don't think they would need to.

I believe the biggest setback at this time is getting all the themed elements done completely. This would mean the waterfall feature, as usually it is turning that takes most of the time once a coaster is finished. If you look at Phantasialand's new coaster, the track is up, but now they are working on the themed elements and won't open until next year.

Brakes not Breaks!