TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

So, I'm sitting here thinking, "Should I skip Carowinds, Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Legoland FL. Use all my money for those parks and just get a plane ticket and fly to Utah so I can visit Lagoon Park for the first time, and ride this "one of a kind" Cannibal coaster?" Decisions. . .Decisions. . .Decisions
Lagoon would be flattered, but it's better to save up for it in a few years.

So, I'm sitting here thinking, "Should I skip Carowinds, Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and Legoland FL. Use all my money for those parks and just get a plane ticket and fly to Utah so I can visit Lagoon Park for the first time, and ride this "one of a kind" Cannibal coaster?" Decisions. . .Decisions. . .Decisions
Lagoon would be flattered, but it's better to save up for it in a few years.

You right. I might just wait until 2016. That coaster is so unique.

The more I think about it, the more that would make sense. This is a 22 million dollar investment and there is less than 3 thousand feet of track. Even with the theming and the elevator lift, there has to be something thats keeping that price so high. They are doing the ride in house to keep the cost down. Even Full Throttle cost 6 million and has 2,200 feet of track and a launch. There has to be something.

The more I think about it, the more that would make sense. This is a 22 million dollar investment and there is less than 3 thousand feet of track. Even with the theming and the elevator lift, there has to be something thats keeping that price so high. They are doing the ride in house to keep the cost down. Even YOLOcoaster cost 6 million and has 2,200 feet of track and a launch. There has to be something.
Well they had to put pilings into the ground because of how the land is very loose and prone to earthquakes. Also, there's the entire rock-work/waterfall feature and the two temples, and the entire Cannibal Tower (with only a duel elevator lift system,) probably cost a pretty penny in itself. I can see 22-million used up pretty quickly with this ride without any gyro table or free-fall drop.

Has it been confirmed that this is for sure a dual elevator? Can anyone provide a source for that? The water feature definitely adds a lot, but it still does not add up to me. Griffon is 3,000 feet of track and was 15 million with some of the most expensive trains in the industry. Leviathan was 28 million for nearly 5,500 feet of track, which is around double the length of Cannibal. It just does not make sense to me that this ride is costing 22 million when there are similar coaster lengths that are a fraction of the cost.

Has it been confirmed that this is for sure a dual elevator? Can anyone provide a source for that? The water feature definitely adds a lot, but it still does not add up to me. Griffon is 3,000 feet of track and was 15 million with some of the most expensive trains in the industry. Leviathan was 28 million for nearly 5,500 feet of track, which is around double the length of Cannibal. It just does not make sense to me that this ride is costing 22 million when there are similar coaster lengths that are a fraction of the cost.
If you look at construction photos of the tower, you can see how it's dual lift.

It's somewhat unfair to compare rides based on length alone. Consider the following:

-Lagoon's last coaster, Bombora, was $5 million and it's just a family coaster. Wicked was $10 million back in 2007, and that's only a moderately sized ride (though large for a park like Lagoon).

-Griffon was built back in 2007, so steel prices were likely not the same then as they are now. For reference, Baron 1898 (Efteling's 2015 dive coaster) costs about $22 million with all things included and is much smaller than Griffon (though much more heavily themed).

-Thunderbird costs $22 million and is only 3000 ft long and 140 ft tall, but it is launched. Wild Eagle, which is slightly longer but uses a lift hill, was $20 million.

-Full Throttle may only be $6 million (I still don't entirely trust that figure), but if it were built on flat terrain it would probably be $10-$11 million.

As far as I know, the $22 million is for the entire project, and my guess is $10-15 million of that is for the actual coaster. The elevator system isn't likely to be cheap...I wouldn't be surprised if that alone is as much as $5-6 million (that may be a little on the high side, but the elevator system is almost certainly a large chunk of the expenses). Add those together with the costs of construction and theming (from what it sounds like this will be pretty heavily themed), and $22 million isn't really that far-fetched.

How about the cost of trains? Those trains can be very expensive and they are likely to buy a lot of them for higher capacity. Not sure how much Wicked's trains cost but they are adding the cost a lot more IMO.

I still guess there is something special inside of that tower, free fall can be one possibility because duel elevator can let trains stay inside of the tower nearly twice the time.

Often, inflation prices have to be taken into account. To put this into perspective, I305 and MF costed the same. Yet, I305 is shorter in length, and uses a structure with FAR less steel. (Take a look at the lift/first drop structures of both of these). All these feats of engineering that were made to reduce costs brought the costs of the two to be about the same after 13 years of inflation.

In an even greater perspective. Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz costed $47,000 in 1924. Adjusted for inflation, that should only be $650,000 in today's money. You could not even build a ride of that size today for $6 million. Things do change over time.

I really love the immelmann, reminds me of an inside top-hat with different twists.

As for the cost, maybe it can be explained by the fact it has been designed and it is build "in-house"?

A reason they went "in-house" with this coaster is to help save on the initial cost.