TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

The ride is named 'Cannibal.' "We have named it Cannibal because in our collective mind it will eat other roller coasters in their tracks," said Julie Freed, spokesperson for Lagoon.

Big words for a 100% in-house project. I mean, I have faith that it will be an excellent ride but that sounds like they're claiming greatest ever, haha. Good for Lagoon, though, because this will definitely have me making a trip up to SLC again next summer. Nothin' like an overnight 6-hour car ride through the middle of nowhere (seriously, Utah is EMPTY) to make you appreciate a park.

The ride is named 'Cannibal.' "We have named it Cannibal because in our collective mind it will eat other roller coasters in their tracks," said Julie Freed, spokesperson for Lagoon.

Big words for a 100% in-house project. I mean, I have faith that it will be an excellent ride but that sounds like they're claiming greatest ever, haha. Good for Lagoon, though, because this will definitely have me making a trip up to SLC again next summer. Nothin' like an overnight 6-hour car ride through the middle of nowhere (seriously, Utah is EMPTY) to make you appreciate a park.

Well, marketing can say anything they want to when they aren't talking about actual facts.

Says the man who lives in the only major city within 4 hours in either direction.

This has got my attention. I'm always curious about in-house designed coasters; especially one's that step a bit outside the norm.

I really hope they merchandise the crap out of it. I want to see an entire Cannibal themed store with super gory shirts, weird creepy food and severed body parts all over the place.

Says the man who lives in the only major city within 4 hours in either direction.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, especially since I explicity stated it's a 6 hour drive. 5 hours to Provo.

I'm still very, very curious about this project - it's like a hyper-Eurofighter (hyperFighter?!) with a Mack elevator lift for good measure!

Is it an elevator lift or vertical lift?

It's a Vertical Elevator Lift similar to Divertical's.

Okay thanks. I was confused. I thought vertical lift meant one similar to a Eurofighter.

Why/how is this being done in house? Do they have a lot of engineers/manufacturing experts on the park staff?

The same way Disney does the majority of their rides in house. Wicked was designed in-house but they hired Zierer to bring the ride to reality (launch system, track, vehicles, etc). Cannibal is fully in-house with no outside help. Of course different companies, mostly local, are being brought in to manufacture and construct it, but every last bit was designed and engineered in-house.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, especially since I explicity stated it's a 6 hour drive. 5 hours to Provo.

I was saying that Vegas is pretty much the only city in the middle of nowhere for hundreds of miles in any direction. You mentioned Utah is empty, well, so is the vast majority of Nevada. Especially the Drive to LA and the drive to SLC.

it was pot calling the kettle black thing... it wasn't a good joke.

Still pretty excited. The water feature looks really cool in the videos.

Why/how is this being done in house? Do they have a lot of engineers/manufacturing experts on the park staff?

The same way Disney does the majority of their rides in house. Wicked was designed in-house but they hired Zierer to bring the ride to reality (launch system, track, vehicles, etc). Cannibal is fully in-house with no outside help. Of course different companies, mostly local, are being brought in to manufacture and construct it, but every last bit was designed and engineered in-house.

Well I know that disney has a dedicated engineering staff, but it seems strange to me that this mid-sized park would.

Well I know that disney has a dedicated engineering staff, but it seems strange to me that this mid-sized park would.

The reason why Lagoon is such a unique place. A historic park with some of the oldest rides in the world that still keeps modernizing and has a great group behind them with Dal Freeman.

Dal Freeman is Lagoon's version of John Fetterman. Yeah, a lot of parks just pick up the phone and buy something, we all know that. Lagoon doesn't necessarily and this looks freakin' awesome as a result. THIS is the most interesting ride of 2015 IMO. Has been since I saw the early construction.

An in-house design with an extreme layout is always going to be that extra bit thrilling the first time. You just can't anticipate how it's going to ride. That's worth a trip to Salt Lake City for me. Ok, well that and a gift shop brimming with eyeball soup, bone saws and dismembered corpses.

So, here is all of the information about Cannibal (with a few pictures taken by the respected media) that I have collected.

cannibal.png.36c5b9f72af33f4c9304ba8271073773.png

Source: Lagoonisfun.com via Lagoon Park

Tower Height: 208 Feet

Drop Angle: 116 Degrees

Track Length: 2,735 Feet

Ride Time: 2 ½ minutes

Maximum G Force: 4.2 G’s

Maximum Speed: 70 miles per hour

Three Inversions: Inverted Loop, Diving Loop, Uknown 3rd inversion (said to be one-of-a-kind)

Maximum Height Inversion: 140 Feet Tall

Underground Tunnel: 20 ft

Water Features

Riders Per Car: 12

Rider Capacity Per Hour: 1,200

Budget: $22 Million

From simple addition and knowing the underground tunnel is the bottom of the drop, Cannibal's drop will be 228 ft. Not confirmed, however.

Onto the photos!

10599669_10152644334555586_6563508270855094998_n.jpg.4c5c95f926e9992cbef12901a7253fe5.jpg

Examples of Water Features to be presented on the ride.

Source: Fox 13

10649970_10152644334565586_8632831385777848640_n.jpg.d41fbfdeea7eb24567653da486a8cea0.jpg

Cannibal's 208 ft. tower and part of the layout.

Source: Fox 13

Lagoon-Cannibal054-1.jpg.857e1d8a6a26031239f8a737264cc648.jpg

Cannibal's Ride Logo at Media Event

Source: Standard Examiner

Lagoon-Cannibal056-3.jpg.d1cb598b84ca418b75d8226299888a94.jpg

A jungle temple to be part of the themeing for Cannibal

Source: Standard Examiner

render1.thumb.jpg.ba6c3af10a9f6404a140d4735a5650cf.jpg

New detailed renderings of one side of the ride.

render2.thumb.jpg.916a2154470ad5db835a90b01faccaf3.jpg

render3.thumb.jpg.74955ed9c11795583a7bd662a2dadea4.jpg

cannibalwater.png.4b4959472f68e56413c98a6470d0a814.png

A better view of the water feature.

Edited by RCF