TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

Pretty excited. This will be the first year I get a season pass to Lagoon. Out of all the places to go for fun, Lagoon has the best water park (it actually has a pool you can swim around in that isn't a giant over crowded wave pool.) And it is open on Sundays (pretty much what tipped it for me.) Even though I live a ways away, I know I'll go at least 6 or 7 times this season.

Seems like there is never really a long wait for anything at Lagoon. Wicked has a single rider line (which seems to be always nearly a walk on) only ride that I see ever have super long lines are Rattlesnake Rapids (which usually goes pretty quick anyways.)

^ & ^^ Thanks for the info and tips. After talking with my dad we're going to plan on going unless the weather is terrible. Hopefully the crowds aren't excessive, but if they are I'll just make the best of it. One last question: Is there any recommended strategy for touring the park? I was thinking it would be best to start in the South Midway, do everything of interest there, then take the Sky Ride to the North Midway and work back down toward the southern end of the park, then check out Pioneer Village, then re-ride as time permits. In other words, the coaster order would be: Wicked, Spider, Wild Mouse, Colossus, Jet Star 2, Bombora, Bat, Roller Coaster, Puff. If there's a better way to do it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just go with this and I'll try to do a trip report afterward since Lagoon is a fairly obscure park.
That sounds like a Good Plan of Attack. Did you join Lagoon's Fun Time Club for Discount Tickets? Also don't forget some of Lagoon's other Rides, especially the Dark Rides (Terroride & Dracula's Castle), Samurai, Flying Aces, Rocket, Dino Drop and Lady Bug Bop, and Sky Scraper for a Bird's Eye View of Cannibal Construction. Also, LagoonisFun.com is having an Opening Day Meet Up in the Ensign Terrace, so feel free to bring in a cooler with food and leave it there. If anyone asks who you are, just tell them you are from TPR.

Any recent news about the new coaster?

Some new Track Sections were Delivered Last Week and Construction on the Station Building is Continuing. The LagoonisFun Facebook Page has some recent Photos.

^ & ^^ Thanks for the info and tips. After talking with my dad we're going to plan on going unless the weather is terrible. Hopefully the crowds aren't excessive, but if they are I'll just make the best of it. One last question: Is there any recommended strategy for touring the park? I was thinking it would be best to start in the South Midway, do everything of interest there, then take the Sky Ride to the North Midway and work back down toward the southern end of the park, then check out Pioneer Village, then re-ride as time permits. In other words, the coaster order would be: Wicked, Spider, Wild Mouse, Colossus, Jet Star 2, Bombora, Bat, Roller Coaster, Puff. If there's a better way to do it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just go with this and I'll try to do a trip report afterward since Lagoon is a fairly obscure park.
That sounds like a Good Plan of Attack. Did you join Lagoon's Fun Time Club for Discount Tickets? Also don't forget some of Lagoon's other Rides, especially the Dark Rides (Terroride & Dracula's Castle), Samurai, Flying Aces, Rocket, Dino Drop and Lady Bug Bop, and Sky Scraper for a Bird's Eye View of Cannibal Construction. Also, LagoonisFun.com is having an Opening Day Meet Up in the Ensign Terrace, so feel free to bring in a cooler with food and leave it there. If anyone asks who you are, just tell them you are from TPR.

I joined the Fun Time Club, but haven't received any email yet and I don't know if I'll have printer access between now and Saturday. If they'll take it, I can always show the coupon on my smartphone but worst case scenario I'll just pay full price (it's still cheaper than my local parks). Don't worry, most of those rides you listed are on my to-do list (not Flying Aces since I've got a flyers at my local park and Dino Drop/Lady Bug Bop are low priority), along with a few others (Centennial Screamer, Air Race, the Wild Kingdom Train, and the water rides if they are open and temperatures are acceptable). Unfortunately, I don't have a cooler and am pretty much trying to maximize ride time, but I'll have a TPR shirt on in case anyone happens to see me and wants to say hi (planning to be there from about 9:45 to 2:30-3:00).

I joined the Fun Time Club, but haven't received any email yet and I don't know if I'll have printer access between now and Saturday. If they'll take it, I can always show the coupon on my smartphone but worst case scenario I'll just pay full price (it's still cheaper than my local parks). Don't worry, most of those rides you listed are on my to-do list (not Flying Aces since I've got a flyers at my local park and Dino Drop/Lady Bug Bop are low priority), along with a few others (Centennial Screamer, Air Race, the Wild Kingdom Train, and the water rides if they are open and temperatures are acceptable). Unfortunately, I don't have a cooler and am pretty much trying to maximize ride time, but I'll have a TPR shirt on in case anyone happens to see me and wants to say hi (planning to be there from about 9:45 to 2:30-3:00).

If I was going to be there, I would have gotten you a $6 Employee Pass from one of my Friends. Also, the Zierer Family Drop Towers are better than The Rocket and most Drop Towers out there 10xs the size, and the Only ones in the Country. Our Flyers are also Actual Bisch Rocco Flying Scooters, the only Flyers still at their original Park, the only one that Travels Clockwise, and is on the National List of Historic Places. Swordfish and Fokker CV are the Snappiest.

^Will that be the name? Because it sounds brutal!
Rumored name, yes.
If you had seen what I have, you would know it's not a Rumor.

I wonder if Lagoon will expand their waterpark or demolish it? LinearInduction, Do you know?
Lagoon will not be removing Lagoon-A-Beach and it's been rumored for a while that they've been looking at a "Bowl" type Slide. Lagoon has actually replaced their old Ripcurl Slide with a New one from White Water West. Lagoon spent most of last summer, when not working on Cannibal, to Modify the Support Columns and Install the New Slide that will open in May. I wish Lagoon would rebuild most of LAB and replace Outrigger, since it LEAKS like a Faucet, but that may be a few years out, since the New Slide was delivered in 2011.

Also, the Zierer Family Drop Towers are better than The Rocket and most Drop Towers out there 10xs the size, and the Only ones in the Country. Our Flyers are also Actual Bisch Rocco Flying Scooters, the only Flyers still at their original Park, the only one that Travels Clockwise, and is on the National List of Historic Places. Swordfish and Fokker CV are the Snappiest.

In that case I might have to give those rides increased priority. I just can't have a list of 20+ must do attractions and 5 hours to do them as I likely won't finish. For now, I've got a small number of must-do attractions and I'll do everything else (excluding common models) as time permits. Ideally I'd like to spend a full day at the park and do everything (with plenty of re-rides), but that just isn't possible this time. If Cannibal is as good as rumored, however, I may have to make a return trip sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for all your help, linearinduction. I'm sure I'll have a great time and I'll be sure to post a trip report to give this relatively obscure park a bit more coverage.

^Will that be the name? Because it sounds brutal!
Rumored name, yes.
If you had seen what I have, you would know it's not a Rumor.

I wonder if Lagoon will expand their waterpark or demolish it? LinearInduction, Do you know?
Lagoon will not be removing Lagoon-A-Beach and it's been rumored for a while that they've been looking at a "Bowl" type Slide. Lagoon has actually replaced their old Ripcurl Slide with a New one from White Water West. Lagoon spent most of last summer, when not working on Cannibal, to Modify the Support Columns and Install the New Slide that will open in May. I wish Lagoon would rebuild most of LAB and replace Outrigger, since it LEAKS like a Faucet, but that may be a few years out, since the New Slide was delivered in 2011.

Considering how Bombora replaced some waterpark stuff, I was wondering.

Your Welcome RCDude! I also got my Funtime Club e-mail yesterday, but you need like 6 people to make it worth the effort. I'm just sorry I won't be there and help you save $40, but have Fun!

RollercoasterRider, Lagoon removed 4 small picnic terraces and relocated Ruby's Tubes to build BomBora, so nothing of any real worth was removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos from opening weekend of Cannibal's construction.

Cannibal.thumb.jpeg.df0e5a92726a53125dcf681b47018c1a.jpeg

Aerial view

Cannibal2.thumb.jpeg.c796130d38dc0d848461b876cf8cf896.jpeg

Cannibal3.thumb.jpeg.d57ab5caacf42deca9aa6596977a44d9.jpeg

The station

Cannibal4.thumb.jpeg.2e3512970ba652140fd25b184603f2a3.jpeg

Closer look at the track in the tunnel

Cannibal5.thumb.jpeg.031b3c8b6f7a6bf251d9ab9f8707287b.jpeg

What's standing of the elevator lift

Images from lagoonisfun.com

A video was also posted on YouTube of the construction site and shows some coaster pieces yet to be installed out in the north field.

^ and Side by Side, like Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica and Divertical at that, into what could be the Tallest Immelmann Inversion.

Everytime I see Divertical I want to ride it more and more. Glad this is quite a bit closer to me. Can't wait to hit up Lagoon a few times this year and see this coaster take shape.

They must at least have tested a roll-back in the initial testing of the ride.

But in reality it won't be that exciting since the LSM units works as brakes if they don't have any current flowing through them.

So the car will just coast slowly backwards down the tower and come to a complete stop at the block section below.

Quick question: Has Wicked ever rolled back to our knowledge? Does anyone have any pictures or videos?
Yes, Wicked has and does Roll Back during normal operation. There were a couple videos of roll backs several years ago on YouTube. The LSMs work as Leofet described, so the train simply stops in the Horizontal Launch. Once the Train is clear of the Horizontal Launch LSMs, the Fault can be reset and the Train Relaunched.

Everytime I look at the construction photos... I can't help but think ... Tilt Coaster
No Tilt, unless you consider the side by side elevator platforms as tilting.

• 3 weeks later...

Want to "Be Sombody's Rockstar?" Who else better to learn from than Utah's own Elaine Bradley, Drummer for the Neon Trees? Lagoon and Struck, and Advertising Firm, teamed up with Utah Native Elaine Bradley for Lagoon's 2014 Advertising Campaign "Be Somebody's Rockstar." The Campaign Features the song "Living in Another World" by Bradley's Band, Neon Trees , from their recently released Album Pop Psychology. So how will you "Be Somebody's Rockstar?"