TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

Yep, there's maroon colored track sticking out of the concrete tunnel on the right side. The brown box structure is actually part of the support structure, so it looks like the support color is going to be that brown color. Very interesting as it looks like a rather large opening. Whatever they have planned, it looks to be a monster!

Yep, there's maroon colored track sticking out of the concrete tunnel on the right side. The brown box structure is actually part of the support structure, so it looks like the support color is going to be that brown color. Very interesting as it looks like a rather large opening. Whatever they have planned, it looks to be a monster!
Actually, the Track and Uprights/Columns are pretty much the same color as Maverick at Cedar Point. The Dark Brown Columns with the Yellow are themed.

Yeah, it's definitely there. I wonder if that will be a tunnel they are making where we can see the track coming out of! I'll be going to lagoon for the first time when this opens.
That is the tunnel that goes 20ft Underground. Lagoon had to get the track in before installing the lid.

With construction already started, and track already going in, I wonder why this won't open until 2015? Or, I guess maybe it just won't be done in time for the 2014 season, so it will open on opening day of 2015.
This is the First Major Steel Coaster since Space Mountain in 1978 to be Designed, Engineered, and Constructed by a park it's self. Cannibal is on Schedule for an Opening Day 2015 Debut.

Space Mountain in 1978 to be Designed, Engineered, and Constructed by a park it's self.

I was under the impression Vekoma built space mountain. WED (now WDI) always lists themselves as the manufacturer, even if the subcontract the work out.

^^ Well, that depends on if you are just doing a Credit Run or want to Experience the Park as a whole. Either way, Costco is always your best bet for tickets (Unless Lagoon is doing a Fun Time Club Promotion), you can bring your own food and picnic inside the park, Roller Coaster and Wicked are different animals after dark, Pioneer Village will give you a little History amongst the thrills, and Lagoon is home to the Second Largest Zoo in Utah. Where else can you ride a Mondial Top Scan, Mondial Splash Over, Zamperla Air Race, Two Bill Tracy Dark Rides, Two Kick Ass Schwarzkopf Coasters, and one of the Oldest Operating Wood Coasters in the World in one park? lol

^ If so, that would make Lagoon the First Park to Design, Engineer, and Manufacturer a Major Steel Coaster wouldn't it.

Yes, the gondolas did spin on that ferris wheel. Boardwalk and Baseball actually had two different ferris wheels during its short existance. The first one was there when the park was called Circus World and then after it became B&B it replaced the wheel with one similar in size but the gondolas were different in appearance. I think the other ferris wheel went to Ocean City, Maryland.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've got a couple questions about Lagoon for anyone who frequents the park. It turns out that I'll be in Salt Lake City in a couple weeks for skiing and due to the schedule I could possibly make it to Lagoon on opening day (Saturday, March 29th). However, to justify the trip, I'm wondering...

1. Is everything typically open on opening day? I especially care about the three large coasters (Wicked, Colossus, and the Roller Coaster).

2. How crowded will the park likely be? If I go, I will only be able to stay until mid-afternoon (around 3 P.M.) and I would like to get on all the coasters (Bat and Puff are skippable), the two dark rides, any uncommon flats, and ideally have enough time to re-ride a few rides (at the very least, enough time for a second ride on Wicked). If this is likely not possible, I may just ski on Saturday and try for Lagoon at another time.

Hopefully this trip ends up working out, as I'd really like to visit the park. If not, there is a chance I could be in the area in June, but that is less likely.

Most of the time everything is open on opening day. Many times, the reason rides aren't open is for year-long maintenance or is a new ride of the season. For the major rides, expect them open. I don't recall if the water rides will be open or not, but I do know the rapids ride we have does have some features off in the beginning of the season.

The park on opening day gets a decent crowd, but even on busy days the lines aren't unbearable. I have never had to wait longer than an hour, or seen a line account for an hour-long wait time. You will most likely be able to ride everything you want to multiple times.

There is Never really a Crowd on Opening Day and I've never waited any longer than 30 Minutes (for Wicked) on Opening Day. You should be able to do pretty much the entire park by 3pm no problems. I can't think of one Opening Day since 1998 that the Major Rides (unless it's Brand New) hasn't been open. Even the Log Flume and Rattlesnake Rapids is open on Opening Day, Weather and other Factors Permitting, of Course. Heck, Wild Mouse wasn't even completely put together last year at Opening, but opened at 2pm. I would recommend Joining Lagoon's "Fun Time Club," as they have been doing a Promotion for Opening Weekend for the past couple of years. I'm not sure if Costco has Tickets yet either, as Costco is the Cheapest for Tickets.

^ & ^^ Thanks for the info and tips. After talking with my dad we're going to plan on going unless the weather is terrible. Hopefully the crowds aren't excessive, but if they are I'll just make the best of it. One last question: Is there any recommended strategy for touring the park? I was thinking it would be best to start in the South Midway, do everything of interest there, then take the Sky Ride to the North Midway and work back down toward the southern end of the park, then check out Pioneer Village, then re-ride as time permits. In other words, the coaster order would be: Wicked, Spider, Wild Mouse, Colossus, Jet Star 2, Bombora, Bat, Roller Coaster, Puff. If there's a better way to do it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just go with this and I'll try to do a trip report afterward since Lagoon is a fairly obscure park.