TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

I feel like it's almost a foregone conclusion that this ride is going to suck...

Given that we know very little intrinsically about the ride, this is naturally the intelligent course of action. Thanks for your contribution.

If you read through my posts, you'll see that I rarely speculate on a ride before it opens but to me it just seems like they're cutting costs in every way possible and yes... I think this will be reflected in the final product. People keep bringing up Bombora but designing a family coaster in house and designing a 200+ foot coaster in house are two totally different things. Steel Force, Mamba and Wild Thing (all 200 foot coasters) all cost exactly the same amount of money and they were built back in the mid 1990's. I know those will probably end up with longer track lengths, but it's hard to be overly confident when it's the same price as hypercoasters built 20 years earlier and less than half the price of your average modern 200 foot coaster.

I feel like it's almost a foregone conclusion that this ride is going to suck...

Given that we know very little intrinsically about the ride, this is naturally the intelligent course of action. Thanks for your contribution.

If you read through my posts, you'll see that I rarely speculate on a ride before it opens but to me it just seems like they're cutting costs in every way possible and yes... I think this will be reflected in the final product. People keep bringing up Bombora but designing a family coaster in house and designing a 200+ foot coaster in house are two totally different things. Steel Force, Mamba and Wild Thing (all 200 foot coasters) all cost exactly the same amount of money and they were built back in the mid 1990's. I know those will probably end up with longer track lengths, but it's hard to be overly confident when it's the same price as hypercoasters built 20 years earlier and less than half the price of your average modern 200 foot coaster.

Bombora and even Wicked are basically products of the same system, albeit with fabrication done in different places. Both are very good rides. Since Lagoon doesn't need to make a profit off of constructing this ride, their end costs have a great likelihood to be lower. They are in the rare situation of having a creative engineer who can design these sorts of attractions working for them, which is something the overwhelming majority of amusement and theme parks lack. As I said previously, we have very little info about what the end product is going to resemble or do other than some rumor filled posts on the internet. So to say that it is "a foregone conclusion that is going to suck" is premature at best, and at worst a product of the internet's demand to have people with shocking levels of ignorance demand to be heard in the loudest possible way.

Bombora and even Wicked are basically products of the same system, albeit with fabrication done in different places. Both are very good rides. Since Lagoon doesn't need to make a profit off of constructing this ride, their end costs have a great likelihood to be lower. They are in the rare situation of having a creative engineer who can design these sorts of attractions working for them, which is something the overwhelming majority of amusement and theme parks lack. As I said previously, we have very little info about what the end product is going to resemble or do other than some rumor filled posts on the internet. So to say that it is "a foregone conclusion that is going to suck" is premature at best, and at worst a product of the internet's demand to have people with shocking levels of ignorance demand to be heard in the loudest possible way.

It must be the offseason if we're so bored that we keep going back and fourth on this. lol.

It's obvious that what I'm saying is blatant speculation based on the information about how the ride is being built, but without speculation we would have nothing to talk about on a coaster message board all winter. I always do my best to keep it to a minimum but when I hear about a ride being designed for a ridiculously low cost by someone in house, it's hard for me not to speculate... even with very little additional information. We can agree to disagree on this one, if construction goes smoothly and the ride is great then I'll owe you an apology, but I don't think this is going to be the case. That's just my personal opinion.

^ All we know is that the ride will be the biggest, fastest, and most expensive ride Lagoon has ever built. That is all that is truly confirmed. The ride could cost 20 million for all we know. Don't assume the ride is going to suck just because of the price tag. Remember, NTAG was only ten million and that is one of the best rides in the world. Wait until we have a layout at least. Have you guys even ridden Wicked or Bombora? They are fantastic rides that really deliver. I am very confident that this will be a good ride, but I wish it was going to be more of an airtime ride rather than an inversion ride based on the facts. Still, it will be good none the less.

People keep bringing up Bombora but designing a family coaster in house and designing a 200+ foot coaster in house are two totally different things.

Actually, when you have the experience of Dal Freeman, they are not that much different.

A few things to note:

-This is not LA or Orlando; This is Salt Lake City. Residents of a city this size without a tourist market for theme parks are lucky enough to have a theme park, let alone one that can afford to build coasters in the double digit millions every few years.

-Griffon, a coaster with a much larger track gauge and trains costed $15 million.

-I am not worried about this coaster being rough, as it will only have lap bars.

-Even if the drop and three inversions are all it does, how is that any less gimmicky than a dive machine? Actually, I am fairly optimistic that it will be better than a B&M dive machine, as it will have only lap bars and possibly a beyond vertical drop.

Granted, I would rather they spend that $10 million on a mega lite, but for a smaller park, I am glad that they are finding ways to introduce larger thrills for a lower cost.

It must be the offseason if we're so bored that we keep going back and fourth on this. lol.

It's obvious that what I'm saying is blatant speculation based on the information about how the ride is being built, but without speculation we would have nothing to talk about on a coaster message board all winter. I always do my best to keep it to a minimum but when I hear about a ride being designed for a ridiculously low cost by someone in house, it's hard for me not to speculate... even with very little additional information. We can agree to disagree on this one, if construction goes smoothly and the ride is great then I'll owe you an apology, but I don't think this is going to be the case. That's just my personal opinion.

The Cost of Cannibal will be above 10 Million Dollars and Lagoon is not cutting costs anywhere. I don't see how Lagoon's construction methods could be called into question. Dal Freeman also isn't just "someone." Ron Toomer AND Dal Freeman Designed Magnum XL-200 and Dal is Responsible for many other Coasters built by Arrow through the 90s.

Wicked was Dal Freeman's Concept and Design, but Lagoon needed a Partner to make it happen, which is where Zierer came into the Picture. After the problems with the Weldments on the Columns/Uprights, and seeing Zierer just Subcontracted everything, it became Clear that Lagoon was entirely capable of building a coaster on their own.

After looking at Zierer, MACK, Vekoma, Gerstlauer, etc. Family Coasters, they couldn't find something that had everything they wanted. Dal came up with a Great Design and Layout for a Family Coaster and also Designed the Trains and Restraints. Lagoon Contracted with Intermountain Lift, Inc. to Fabricate the Track and Columns, Stakotra Manufacturing for the Trains, Actemium for the PLC/Safety System, and Zierer for the Lift and Drives. Lagoon built the Deep Foundation and Piers, and Errected the Ride themselves. What Lagoon got was a well built Exciting and Dynamic Family Coaster with a 36" Minimum Height Requirement, Comfortable Seats and Lap Bar Restraints, On Board Audio and Lighting, all for 5 Million Dollars. Having the complete control over every aspect of the ride allowed them to deliver the Experience they wanted. BomBora has Performed Excellently and has one of the best Up Times in the Park.

For Cannibal, Lagoon has Driven the Piles for the Deep Foundation, Poured some of the Foundation and Piers, and Constructed a 30ft Deep Tunnel up to this Point, without any help from outside contractors. Utah also has Several Heavy Industry and Mining Equipment Manufacturing Companies that are more than Capable of building an Elevator that can Lift a Train or Trains to the top of a nearly 200ft Tower.

I also updated the first post in the 2015 Project Threat on LagoonisFun.com to clarify some things.

The Following Information has been Confirmed to us by LagoonisFun Sources:

Name: Cannibal

Type: Steel Roller Coaster with Vertical Elevator

Designer: Dal Freeman

Manufacturer: Lagoon Corporation

General Contractor: Lagoon Corporation

Colors: Red Track with Tan Columns/Uprights

Trains: 5 to 6

Inversions: 3 (Immelmann Loop, Unknown, Barrel Roll)

Height: 200 +/- Feet

Drop: 200 +/- Feet

Speed: 60+ MPH

Length: 2,000 + Feet

Cost: 10+ Million Dollars

Opening Date: Spring 2015

Other Details:

Track and Column/Upright Fabricator: Intermountain Lift, Inc.

Train Fabricator: Stakotra Manufacturing

Elevator Fabricator: Unknown

PLC/Safety System: Actemium

Unconfirmed Details:

This Coaster MAY feature a Beyond Vertical Drop.

Notes:

Trains will have Lapbar Only Restraints.

Inversions will Include an Immelman Loop, Barrel Roll, and a Third Unknown Inversion.

First Major Steel Roller Coaster to be Entirely Designed, Engineered, and Constructed "In House" outside of the Walt Disney Company.

Updated: 11/11/13

^Maybe they figured naming it Wildebeast might touch a nerve so they went with the much campier & family-friendly Cannibal?

Well, hey, Anthony Hopkins just won an Oscar in 1991 for his take on Hannibal Lecter. They probably just want to capitalize on that...strike while the iron is hot.

^Maybe they figured naming it Wildebeast might touch a nerve so they went with the much campier & family-friendly Cannibal?

Well, hey, Anthony Hopkins just won an Oscar in 1991 for his take on Hannibal Lecter. They probably just want to capitalize on that...strike while the iron is hot.

There was a story this year of a man eating another man's face off. Not kidding.

Wicked has a vertical lift!?!?!?? I surely don't remember that….and don't call me Shirley! The name will be awesome if they show Cannibal the Musical in the queue. Interesting facts on the ride and I'm quite interested to see how it all turns out. Looks like Lagoon will be a weekend trip in the near future…

Jimmy "When I say it's a happy-go-moinkaly lucky shpadoinklely…dayyyyyy" Bo

(anyone get that reference?)

• 2 months later...